Jigging reel 300-350$ ?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by kenner21, May 7, 2009.

1. kenner21

kenner21 Member

I'm putting together a jigging a combo and really don't want to spend more than 450 or so dollars doing so. I do some jigging but not that much, anyhow my only requirement is the reel has to have instant anti-reverse. The only two reels that fit the bill so far are the Trinidad and the Saltiga. Any others out there that I may be over looking?

Thanks
    nate

2. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

you can prob pick up a used accurate in that price range

3. kenner21

kenner21 Member

Whats a good Accurate model for jigging? 40-60lb braid line weight

4. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

B2-870N, B2-870 or B2-665NN, B2-665 - if you buy used Accurate B2 models - check to make sure that Accurate upgrade the shifting gear
    Used Torsa reel should be good - Mr Bill use Torsa reel

5. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Just go with a saltiga 50 save coin, proven reel thats durable and dependable. You dont need to baby it like an accurate. Upgrade with carbontex drag washers and youre all set

6. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I'm putting together a jigging a combo and really don't want to spend more than 450 or so dollars doing so. I do some jigging but not that much, anyhow my only requirement is the reel has to have instant anti-reverse. The only two reels that fit the bill so far are the Trinidad and the Saltiga. Any others out there that I may be over looking?

Thanks
    nate

Look at the Saltist. You can upgrade the drag after the year warranty and the side bushing to a bearing and have almost the same thing as the Saltiga for a whole lot less.

7. kenner21

kenner21 Member

I like the Torsas' but they are out of my current price range. If anyone has a reel that fits what im looking for feel free to shoot me a pm.

8. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

what are you looking to jig? how deep?

9. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Kenner21

What fish are you targeting and what size range?

10. kenner21

kenner21 Member

All of them, heh everything from grouper to Tuna. Typically between 150-300 feet of water unless I catch a ride out farther.

11. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Unless you are tangling with leviathon the 300gr will work. It is a little easier to jig with the lighter ones also.

12. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

300 gram??

300gr OTI rod.

13. kenner21

kenner21 Member

Ohh I'm still looking at reels haven't gotten to the rod choices yet.

thank you though

14. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Trinidad 40 would also fit the bill. One of my original and still favorite tuna jigging reels. I have caught everything on this reel including tuna and grouper. Great for big bluefin and yellowfin as well. Holds over 450 yards of 80lb braid incase you do hit some of those deep drops. You can prob find one on ebay for 350. Upgrade the carbontex drag if youd like and cals plate, and get up to 38-40lb of drag. It does not have the antireverse problem like the smaller trinidads.

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I agree with Pete. Saltiga 40/50 or TN 40 or 40N. OJ 4000 could work as well, but itd be tougher to find it for that price.

16. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

saltist (140 ebay)with carbontex(15 bucks plus 1 dollar shipping), 300g oti rod(tackle direct free shipping 200 bucks), Daiwa boat braid(50bucks).a LITTLE OVER

17. kenner21

kenner21 Member

Trinidad 40 would also fit the bill. One of my original and still favorite tuna jigging reels. I have caught everything on this reel including tuna and grouper. Great for big bluefin and yellowfin as well. Holds over 450 yards of 80lb braid incase you do hit some of those deep drops. You can prob find one on ebay for 350. Upgrade the carbontex drag if youd like and cals plate, and get up to 38-40lb of drag. It does not have the antireverse problem like the smaller trinidads.

Thanks for all the input everyone, how neccessary would be the drag and cals plate upgrade be for the 40N? The anti-reverse problems had me not so hot on these reels. What kind of drag are you guys getting with the reel out of the box?

18. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

trinidad 40/40N/50 do not have the same problems as the smaller models.

its rated to 33 lbs. ive set it to 25lbs no problems.

19. TK_82

TK_82 Senior Member

20. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

The anti reverse problem was really apparent on the trini 30s because guys were using it for tuna and overtime the anti reverse dog would go. On the 40and 50 and 40n these are replaced by 2 anti reverse dogs. I havent had it go on me yet after 6 years of use and abuse. The biggest maintenance i give it is a good washing off with warm fresh water.

THe upgrad and plate are not necessary, but you can squeeze a lot more drag out of the reel. Ive fished it 30lb out of the box without issue.