Jigging Question

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Bolo, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Many members favor drift boats when jigging. What about when the boat is anchored? Does the same technique still applies? The boat I fish out of in the Dry Tortugas only anchor and never drift. With 20 plus anglers dropping fish finder riggers wouldnt bouncing the jig off the bottom spook the fish? Since you are drifting you cover different area constantly. Less chances the fish get spook easily. What are you opinion on this subject?

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

when we anchor with the larger boats up here.
    the guys usually jig in the bow
    and bait fish near the back.

most of the tuna are caught mid depth.
    the seabass we fish for are on, or near the bottom.
    the baits and jig both do well

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Many members favor drift boats when jigging. What about when the boat is anchored? Does the same technique still applies? The boat I fish out of in the Dry Tortugas only anchor and never drift. With 20 plus anglers dropping fish finder riggers wouldnt bouncing the jig off the bottom spook the fish? Since you are drifting you cover different area constantly. Less chances the fish get spook easily. What are you opinion on this subject?
    On which boat are you going ?
    The Yankee Capts ususally targets mutton snapper.
    You catch mutton snapper on jigs, but most prefer bait for them.
    They wouldn't like you if you jig among them as they believe jigging spook mutton snapper.
    On anchored boat you can jigs as we do oftenly.
    Fish come and go and sometimes stay under the boats attracted by baits by many anglers which has chum effect.

4. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

On which boat are you going ?
    The Yankee Capts ususally targets mutton snapper.
    You catch mutton snapper on jigs, but most prefer bait for them.
    They wouldn't like you if you jig among them as they believe jigging spook mutton snapper.
    On anchored boat you can jigs as we do oftenly.
    Fish come and go and sometimes stay under the boats attracted by baits by many anglers which has chum effect.

I fish on the Florida Fish Finder. I find the Yankee Capt have too many problems. The FFF is lay back and mates are great. The beds on the boat is quite large since im 6'2 290lbs. I normally do bait fishing and done well. Since Im now im getting into deep jigging I want to try it out. Of course I wont jig around other people line. The first day you cant do that. After the first day people are tired and or too drunk. That is when I'll pull my jigs out. I rarely sleep on these 3 day trips. Sort naps from spot to spot and I have a fishing partner so we keep each other awake. Or one of us fish and if the fishing bite takes off then I wake him up.

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I fish on the Florida Fish Finder. I find the Yankee Capt have too many problems. The FFF is lay back and mates are great. The beds on the boat is quite large since im 6'2 290lbs. I normally do bait fishing and done well. Since Im now im getting into deep jigging I want to try it out. Of course I wont jig around other people line. The first day you cant do that. After the first day people are tired and or too drunk. That is when I'll pull my jigs out. I rarely sleep on these 3 day trips. Sort naps from spot to spot and I have a fishing partner so we keep each other awake. Or one of us fish and if the fishing bite takes off then I wake him up.
    I am somewhat surprised you had many problems with the Yankee Capts as Greg is well respected Capt and many guys fovor the Yankee Capts over the Fish Finder. It was OK, but not great when I fished on the Fish Finder.
    If you like to jig, the Fish Finder might be the better option as they target various species. When I fish on an overnight party boats in Florida, I always fish on the bow side as the area is usually deserted and I can cast around.
    If you target small snappers or bottom dwellers, you can use light lines, but I always use 80 lbs braided line with 100 - 120 lbs mono leader line for jigging as there are always possibilities you hook up a big grouper.

6. Iliveoutside

Iliveoutside Senior Member

What a coincidence to find this thread. I was just google searching "jigging for mutton snapper".

I was thinking on going on the Yankee Capts in Feb for a 3 day. I posted some questions on the Florida Sportsman forum, where, Capt. Greg referred me to ask questions.

I was pretty much told there (on the forum) not to try jigging, as it messes up the bait fishermen. This does not really make sense to me, especially if you are on the bow. I can understand their preference against braided lines, I will just use a long topshot of heavy mono, but I would like to try jigging there.

I like your idea of just waiting till the 2nd day, I will try that.

What types/sizes of jigs work well in that area? I was going to bring some hammered diamond jigs, but not sure what size, or what else might be good there. They bait fish with only 6-8oz of weight, so light jigs will probably work.

7. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

What a coincidence to find this thread. I was just google searching "jigging for mutton snapper".

I was thinking on going on the Yankee Capts in Feb for a 3 day. I posted some questions on the Florida Sportsman forum, where, Capt. Greg referred me to ask questions.

I was pretty much told there (on the forum) not to try jigging, as it messes up the bait fishermen. This does not really make sense to me, especially if you are on the bow. I can understand their preference against braided lines, I will just use a long topshot of heavy mono, but I would like to try jigging there.

What types/sizes of jigs work well in that area? I was going to bring some hammered diamond jigs, but not sure what size, or what else might be good there. They bait fish with only 6-8oz of weight, so light jigs will probably work.

You just have to make sure your jig does not drift back with the other bait fishermen. If it does it will be a mess and they will be pissed off. So bring a bunch of assortment of different weight. Bring some bucktail jigs too. At night if the Kingfish are around I would drop a jig out there. When fishing for snapper at night it seems to draw in the big Kingfish out. They always hit the shiney sinker when you drop your bait down. I had several cut off last year.

Have you check out Florida Fish Finder Key West Fishing Dry Tortugas. At this moment they are discounting $100.00 off. I have personally fish on this boat 3 times last year. Staff and captain are excellent. The beds are also large enough to handle 6'4" 300lb. Just make sure you reserve a middle bunk. This boat is very laid back atmosphere but still focus on catching big fish especially muttons. Florida Sportman members favor Yankee Capts boats.

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

If you post on Florida Sportman forum, you definitely get negative comments on using bradied lines and jigs as they are dominated by bait fishermen. Capt Yankee do allow braided lines and they don't mind jigging away from the crowd. Check the grouper regulations. They might close in Feb.

This trip report on Yankee Capt's Dry Tortugas trip by Willy might help you to prepare gears. Willy is Harvard student and an avid fisherman.

Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

9. Iliveoutside

Bolo, I looked at the FFF, and maybe I will go with them instead. They have a 3 day the same weekend I was planning to go down, and looks like you end up getting about 10 hours more fishing. Are they more open to jigging on FFF?
    The only concern I have is that the guys on FS forum had made comments that FFF targets quantities of smaller fishes vs fewer but bigger fish on YC. That is why I was looking at YC, plus I knew about YC from their operations in NE. Anyway, what types and sizes of jigs do you recommend? I will probably bring hammered diamonds to about 10oz, and mayb some crippled herrings. I was also going to bring some squid shaped bucktales.

Kil, do they let you use braided lines for jigging??? Seems like if they already don't like you to jig, they would get really mad if you used braided lines??? I was going to use heavy mono (like 60-80lbs) on a Newell 540 which has a lot of line capacity for a light weight reel. I would prefer to use braid, but I don't want to be thrown overboard by the regulars. :eek:

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil, do they let you use braided lines for jigging??? Seems like if they already don't like you to jig, they would get really mad if you used braided lines??? I was going to use heavy mono (like 60-80lbs) on a Newell 540 which has a lot of line capacity for a light weight reel. I would prefer to use braid, but I don't want to be thrown overboard by the regulars. :eek:
    When we fished cod on the Yankee Capt., everybody used braided line without exception because nobody used bait, but jigs. :) In fact the Yankee Capt is the only boat among Yankee fleet which allows braided lines. As you fish on the bow where only a few fish, I don't think regulars bother you as they will be packed on the stern.

11. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Bolo - on the FFF can you use braided line. I checked their site and it says mono only. Do they give you any prblems if they find you using it?

12. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Bolo - on the FFF can you use braided line. I checked their site and it says mono only. Do they give you any prblems if they find you using it?

They dont like people using braid because it makes it harder for the mates to untangle their mess. They dont say anything unless you become a problem. I usually put a top shot on and have the braid as backing. Nothing will dump your reel out there unless you hook up to a nice Blackfin.

13. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Bolo, I looked at the FFF, and maybe I will go with them instead. They have a 3 day the same weekend I was planning to go down, and looks like you end up getting about 10 hours more fishing. Are they more open to jigging on FFF?
    The only concern I have is that the guys on FS forum had made comments that FFF targets quantities of smaller fishes vs fewer but bigger fish on YC. That is why I was looking at YC, plus I knew about YC from their operations in NE. Anyway, what types and sizes of jigs do you recommend? I will probably bring hammered diamonds to about 10oz, and mayb some crippled herrings. I was also going to bring some squid shaped bucktales.

They dont have any problem if you want to jig. Just move away from the bait fisherman. There is always room to move around the boat. What is small to you? Mutton average around 10lb plus. That is fine with me since I dont have to deal with a-holes on the boat. If you want to catch 15lb plus Mutton then I recommend going on a private charter. Charter fishing trips to Dry Tortugas in Key West, Florida He is very good at what he does. Im a member of Boatless Fishing and here is a post that a member did on a September trip with Capt. Yuri. Boatless Fishing Forum, Reports, Info • Login
    Boatless Fishing Forum, Reports, Info • Login
    A good friend of mine who has fished with this captain several times did very well. It just tough to fork out that deposit when money is tight.

14. Iliveoutside

Thanks for the info Bolo. I don't have the cake for private charter/hotels, thats why I do these headboat trips. I guy can get some serious fishing time for not a lot of coin on these multi-day trips, and not have to worry about hotels either.

So how long and what size topshot are you using down there? Is 100yds of 50lb mono adequate for most situations?

15. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Thanks for the info Bolo. I don't have the cake for private charter/hotels, thats why I do these headboat trips. I guy can get some serious fishing time for not a lot of coin on these multi-day trips, and not have to worry about hotels either.

So how long and what size topshot are you using down there? Is 100yds of 50lb mono adequate for most situations?

For Mutton Snapper 100yds topshot of 40lb mono is fine. Im talking about bait fishing. With a jig you might hook up to other speices. Make sure you bring extra spool of mono incase you have to step down or up depending on the bite.

If you plan to bait fish for Black Grouper, I recommend 80lb minumum top shot with 125lb leader. 100lb mono would be best for main line.

16. Iliveoutside

Just as information, I recieved an email back from Florida Fish Finder regarding jigging with braid:

"We do allow braided line. I know our website says we don't allow it, butthat's been lifted! I'll have that taken off our site."

Yankee Capts also said he would allow it, but I get the feeling it is strongly discouraged at the Keys, even though it is fine up north, based on the responses I got on the FS Forum.

Capt. Greg said:
    "I don't have a problem with you jigging with braid however a couple issue are relevant-

1.) Banging jigs on the bottom is a definite no-no. This will kill the bite before it even starts.

2.) If your looking for AJ's we don't see that many. Maybe one or two a trip. Not many grouper this year either. Though that will change as we get further into the winter."

17. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i'm pretty surprised abt #1. I guess it must be different over there because snapper here do not care whether you slam the jig on the bottom or not. They aren't that pick in Texas :)

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It all depends on who you are.
    Braided line were prohibited on all tuna party boats on the East Coast years ago. But guys who used braided lines showed them they catch more than other bait fishermen and it doesn't cause much problem to other bait fishermen.
    If yo don't bother other bait fishermen and you catch a few nice snapper/groupers on jigs with braided lines, mates and other fishermen usually don't bother you.

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

i'm pretty surprised abt #1. I guess it must be different over there because snapper here do not care whether you slam the jig on the bottom or not. They aren't that pick in Texas :)
    Mutton snappers are notorious get spooked easily.
    But my theory is jigs attract fish, not distract fish. :)

20. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

When the boat is anchored and everyone with their sinkers hitting the bottom or have their line tight and with the rocking of the boat will cause the sinker to continusly banging the bottom. You can imagine how this will spook the mutton snapper. However, if you are drifting and you bang the bottom that is a different story because you are constantly covering new spots. Snapper will come to investigate what the hell it is.

Just keep an eye on your line when it hits bottom start working it. I seriously doubt it that you are the cause of the fish being spook. There are too many googans on the boat that will spook the fish. Also, I recommend casting out the jig after you have work the reef under you. After awhile the Mutton will move back away from the boat to get away from the mayhem. Usually when Im bait fishing I pull my TwinSpin 12 and pitch my dead goggle eye out and get slammed by a big Mutton. :)