360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bored...

What kind of equipment do you guys have in your jigging and popping arsenal?

JIGGING
Custom Spiral Wrapped 5'6 OTI 80LB Blank
Saltiga 40 - OTI 80LB Depthfinder

POPPING
OTI 80LB 7'6 Popping Rod
Shimano Stella SW 18000HG - 65LB TUFF LINE

SOON TO ADD
Unsure now...

FIGHTING BELT
Seven Seas w/ Back Harness

·
424 Posts
Bored here too!

JIGGING
Accurate 870N2spd Daiwa Boat PE4 on a Sea Magic 400gr
Accurate 665N2spd Daiwa Boat PE6 on OTI 600gr or OTI 7.5 60lb 2pc
Stella 20PG 80# PPro on OTI 300gr or OTI600gr

POPPING
Stella 10000FA on OTI 7.5 80lb 2pc (spools of 65# JB/100# IZOR/50# PPro)
Stella 8000FA on OTI 7ft or GUSA 8ft MonMag (spools of 50# JB/30# PPro)

I hope i can keep from buying more S*&T. But i want to try a star drag reel for jigging.

·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd like to get another spinning jigging outfit but it doesn't seem like I will use it much.

·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Winner gets to say he has to coolest jigging/popping tackle ha ha.

I'm just trying to see what kind of gear others use.

·
4,574 Posts
I'm just trying to see what kind of gear others use.

Exactly! I think Rich made this thread so he can keep tabs on all of our gear... so he can never be ousted! :D I dont' think you'll ever beat Glenn though..he's rediculuous ...in a good way though :p

Rich, is that Carpenter DJ83MH Rod for GT popping? It looks like it's rated to chuck some serious weight!

·
5,457 Posts
my shiznit

#1 custom 80lb Oti popping rod stella 8000

#2 custom smith 80p/35 with stella 10000 with Yumea spool

#3 custom Oti 600g rod and stella 10000 with 20000 spool

#4 custom Oti 300g rod and stella 8000

#4 custom GUSA Dragon and B2 665

#5 JM powerspell 500g and Ocea jigger 5000

#6 On the way Tuna max parobolic and stella 20000

Thats all that is suitable for jigging and popping

d-a

·
4,574 Posts
You got me Rich! :p I'm bored as hell at work right now...

Jigging Spinning Rods
Hots Fake Lez 50H
Hots Wei World 48XXH
Tuna Max 52H Custom
Shimano Blue Rose S517F

Spinning Reels
Shimano Stella STL-8000FA w/ Tuna Max knob
Shimano Stella STL-6000FA w/ 8000FA spool
Shimano Stella SW10000PG w/ Carbon Fiber Knob

Conventional Jigging Rods
Smith WGJ-53M
Smith WGJ-51SLH Custom Spiral Wrap

Conventional Reels
Shimano Ocea Jigger 1500NR
Shimano Ocea Jigger 4000P

Fighting Belt
SevenSeas GT & Tuna Limited Edition Belt w/ SevenSeas Power lifting Support belt

·
366 Posts
What's in the quiver right now

Popping

Zenaq FC76-7 Trevally w/ Accurate SR-30 Twinspin
Carpenter Coral Viper CV79/40RF-SHP w/ Shimano 10kFA and 20k deep spool
Souls Tuna Finalist 90HHS w/ Shimano 10kFA and 20k deep spool

Jigging

Custom Lamiglass CH5660 w/ Accurate 870NC
Smith WGJ 52SLH w/ Accurate 870XNC
Custom St. Croix 2M79XXXHF w/ Shimano Ocea 5000P
Custom Cosmotech CT661 Tuna Power Kevlar w/ Alutecnos Gorilla 12
Patriot Design Imperial Ultimate 59 w/ Shimano Stella 20kFA

Currently looking for a super heavy popping outfit and a PE3-5 popping outfit.

·
4,574 Posts
Carpenter Coral Viper CV79/40RF-SHP .
ooooo, very nice :) How is the tip and overall action compared to a Smith 80p/35? I find the Smith rod to be a little stiff for my liking....

Smith WGJ 52SLH.
APS is sold out :mad: :p Is the rod acid-wrapped? What size jigs do you usually use with this setup?

Thanks! JB-

·
366 Posts
Brian,

I've never cast a Smith 80P/35 so I can't compare it. I use my Zenaq for casting lures between 2-4 oz and my Carpenter for lures between 3 and 6 ounces. The rod is stiff, meant to cast lures in the 5oz range (optimally). I love the rod though, it is a fish killing machine, very easy to fight with.

The Smith is not acid wrapped. I mostly use it with 150-250g jigs. Smith Jackknifes and Hooker1 jigs in those weight ranges are great with it.

·
4,574 Posts
Brian,

I've never cast a Smith 80P/35 so I can't compare it. I use my Zenaq for casting lures between 2-4 oz and my Carpenter for lures between 3 and 6 ounces. The rod is stiff, meant to cast lures in the 5oz range (optimally). I love the rod though, it is a fish killing machine, very easy to fight with.

The Smith is not acid wrapped. I mostly use it with 150-250g jigs. Smith Jackknifes and Hooker1 jigs in those weight ranges are great with it.

Great. thanks for the reply. Have you used your Soul's rod yet? Njnicka caught a 125lb BFT on it yesterday with a Shibuki :) I can't imagine casting a 9ft rod though. I never tried surf fishing, but I'm guessing people who are faimilar with that style of fishing/casting...would excel with that long of a rod.

The Smith Jack knifes are one of my favorite jigs too ;)

·
366 Posts
Yes, I've used the Souls but only on one 76hr trip and plenty of practice time with it. I put it up for sale in the classifieds here and was asked why and this was the response:

I used Shibuki, volador, and surface cruisers (all between 2 and 3 oz.) with the Souls. The tuna I caught was maybe 50lbs and the Souls easily handled it.

-- Once you get your technique down you can cast a mile, even with lighter (sub 3 oz.) lures
-- Long length makes it easy to keep the line away from the boat
-- The rod loads nicely and is very powerful

Dislikes

-- Its length ultimately works against you when fighting fish, too long of a lever
-- It's HEAVY, almost 550g and you'll feel it casting all night. The length combined with the weight just wears on you.
-- It is difficult to cast. If you can't or won't practice with it, you won't get much out of it. A rod this long takes good technique to consistently cast it far, accurate and with minimal effort.
-- I like to aggressively work lures, and it is even more tiring than casting with a rod this heavy and long.

At the end of the day, that huge tuna I lost caused me to totally reassess my approach to big fish. I'm moving more towards a Carpenter Wild Violence heavy GT rod and away from Japanese "tuna" style rods like the Souls. If I lived in the Northeast and routinely chased bluefin from a private boat, where distance is paramount and the number of casts limited, I'd love the rod. It just doesn't suit what I do in the GOM where I have to grind all night long and make hundreds of casts.

·
4,574 Posts
Thank you for such a great post! Very specific and detailed. I also tend to work my lures more aggressively than other people so I can relate to what you're trying to illustrate. Cheers.

Brian-

·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Exactly! I think Rich made this thread so he can keep tabs on all of our gear... so he can never be ousted! :D I dont' think you'll ever beat Glenn though..he's rediculuous ...in a good way though :p

Rich, is that Carpenter DJ83MH Rod for GT popping? It looks like it's rated to chuck some serious weight!

I like to keep it simple. I asked Glenn what he used for popping cow tuna and he told me that. So I might buy it after I researched it. It can use for everything.

·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my shiznit

#1 custom 80lb Oti popping rod stella 8000

#2 custom smith 80p/35 with stella 10000 with Yumea spool

#3 custom Oti 600g rod and stella 10000 with 20000 spool

#4 custom Oti 300g rod and stella 8000

#4 custom GUSA Dragon and B2 665

#5 JM powerspell 500g and Ocea jigger 5000

#6 On the way Tuna max parobolic and stella 20000

Thats all that is suitable for jigging and popping

d-a

How does that Smith 80p/35 compare to the OTI 80lb popping rod?

·
5,457 Posts
It is a stiffer blank and harder to throw. My go to popping rod is the OTI. its easy to cast has plenty off back bone and light enough to cast all night. I have another OTI blank ready to get built. More than likely I will replace the smith some day

d-a

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
How does that Smith 80p/35 compare to the OTI 80lb popping rod?
I regard Smith 80P/35 lighter than OTI 80 lbs, but much heavier than OTI 50 lbs.
I used 80P/35 during Fiji GT trip and I really liked the rod's action.
I would say you can cast a little farther with 85P/35 as the rod is 8' while OTI 80 lbs is 7'6" unless you choose 8'6" rods which is not available until next year.
I carry Smith 80P/35 rods/blanks as well as OTI's. But the smith rods/blanks will be availabe next month or Nov.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
What could the super heavy popping outfit be for?:D

What's in the quiver right now

Popping

Zenaq FC76-7 Trevally w/ Accurate SR-30 Twinspin
Carpenter Coral Viper CV79/40RF-SHP w/ Shimano 10kFA and 20k deep spool
Souls Tuna Finalist 90HHS w/ Shimano 10kFA and 20k deep spool

Jigging

Custom Lamiglass CH5660 w/ Accurate 870NC
Smith WGJ 52SLH w/ Accurate 870XNC
Custom St. Croix 2M79XXXHF w/ Shimano Ocea 5000P
Custom Cosmotech CT661 Tuna Power Kevlar w/ Alutecnos Gorilla 12
Patriot Design Imperial Ultimate 59 w/ Shimano Stella 20kFA

Currently looking for a super heavy popping outfit and a PE3-5 popping outfit.

·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I regard Smith 80P/35 lighter than OTI 80 lbs, but much heavier than OTI 50 lbs.
I used 80P/35 during Fiji GT trip and I really liked the rod's action.
I would say you can cast a little farther with 85P/35 as the rod is 8' while OTI 80 lbs is 7'6" unless you choose 8'6" rods which is not available until next year.
I carry Smith 80P/35 rods/blanks as well as OTI's. But the smith rods/blanks will be availabe next month or Nov.

How much drag the smith handle? Is ti stronger than OTI80LB?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts