360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
221 - 229 of 229 Posts

·
44 Posts
Anyone else tested out [fished with!] the Ghost Hunter Popping Rods?
How do the OTI Ocean Extreme blanks compare? [or is there no comparison considering rod make-up materials]?
Many Thanks to MrBill for his tiresome efforts!!! :) Great photography! that gives you the working curve/lock-up point of general blanks.

My only hope is that this thread can continue to be expanded with other Brands/Models of built-up blanks/rods!
Best way to go Shopping I have ever found!!!
DogBox
I recently caught a 6', 180# Cape Cod BFT on the Ghost Hunter 150. My friend borrowed it for Panama YFT and it was the favorite rod.

Smooth, progressive taper with bend right up to the ferrule; very comfortable to lift on 20-22# of drag.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I believe most conventional popping rods are customs, as a backlash into the fish is a real mess and not something most are wanting to deal with.
The magic eye line has the 804 in a casting model, I looked at those to pair with an okuma komodo 400. Ended up getting an okuma inshore pch 7'6" heavy to match it. It's more of a fast action than parabolic, but does seem to work small poppers quite well. Swimbaits not so much. Makes quick work of bull reds, but havent tested it offshore on anything bigger yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am sure I caught on tuna while fishing with a popper for stripers. It ran away with my lure and all my line. My concern is wither the fish eventually died due to the lure stuck in its mouth. Hooks need to be made so that they dissolve after a period of time. Along these lines, I hope everyone stops using lead sinkers, as lead is a bad actor in the environment. I use old bits of iron.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am sure I caught on tuna while fishing with a popper for stripers. It ran away with my lure and all my line. My concern is wither the fish eventually died due to the lure stuck in its mouth. Hooks need to be made so that they dissolve after a period of time. Along these lines, I hope everyone stops using lead sinkers, as lead is a bad actor in the environment. I use old bits of iron.
If you buttoned his lips, yes, that fish may have ate his last meal. Otherwise, as long as those hooks are not stainless, those hooks will rust out in short order. Part of why some regulations will not allow for SS hooks, like when fishing for sharks.

221 - 229 of 229 Posts