Jigging & Popping Rods

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by MrBill, Aug 11, 2009.

1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

View attachment 6427 View attachment 6428 View attachment 6429 View attachment 6430 View attachment 6427 View attachment 6428 View attachment 6429 View attachment 6430 View attachment 6427 View attachment 6428 View attachment 6430 Which jigging or popping rod is best for you? We are all different in size and weight, and so are the rods. This choice can get confusing if you let it. There are a lot of quality jigging and popping rods on the market with more on the way.

There is no perfect jigging rod for all species and conditions. That means you need to buy different ones for different weight jigs and fish you are targeting. We as anglers, have to spend money to fish.:mad: Did you know that the term anglers came from ancient times. Rods pictured in stone inscriptions were called "Angles". Thus, the term "angling" is used for fishing. That's no BS.

Most jigging rods are slow or parabolic. This is nice action in shorter jigging rods. Using braided line is a must in jigging so the rod needs a cushion. This cushion or slow action also helps in jig action and when wrestling with a fish. Some people like a faster action rod. Slow rods flex more towards the butt of the rod while fast action rods flex more in the tip section. Select a rod that is designed for the jig weights you are using. Water depth and current also dictates the weight of jig you will be using and your rod choice.

Your rod is also a great tool when fighting a fish. Pick one that has some backbone to lift the size fish you are targeting. Fishing with a noodle stick will take you forever to bring in a fish. No body likes to watch you take forever to land your fish. :D You really don't want a broomstick as a real stiff rod will make you work harder. It's about balance of rod, jig and size and strength of angler. Spacing of the guides can also alter the action of a rod.

As far as popping rods go, the rule of thumb is "The longer the rod, the greater the distance in casting". This is true if you are casting a lure that matches the rating of the rod. Casting light lures with a heavy rated stick is stupid. You can also snap a long light rod by loading it up with a overweight lure while casting. Once again, you need different popping rods for fish targeted and different lure weights. Most popping rods are not slow or parabolic. Most popping rods have a medium action. Popping rods are just to long for a slow action which doesn't give you and lifting power or casting distance. Casting poppers with a slow action sucks. You want your tip section to flex enough to load the rod for casting poppers. If you are a guy that rears back and pops the hell out of popper, choose a stiffer tip action. If you prefer to tossing swimbaits, choose a softer tip action.

Well, I'm tired of typing. So, below I have taken some pictures of different jigging and popping rods under a load. These are some of the current rods I use. I have sold or given away rods that don't work for me. I'm sure with time, I will buy more rods as you really can't have enough fishing equipment. :D This should help you make a selection of a rod. I loaded up most of these rods to their max drag provided on the rod. A tripod was used and the camera never left the same spot. I used a self timer on the camera. It was hotter than hell when I took these pictures. It was 102 with a heat index of around 107. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

It took me a while (five hours) grabbing rod after rod and re-tying knots and changing weights. I was a dripping wet. I had to come inside and take a shower about half way as my wear was soaking wet and giving me a rash.:mad: I also made a horrible mistake by wearing crock flip flops. They aren't worth a damn when your feet are sweating like a faucet. I also fell down a couple of times while slipping in my own sweat puddle running from the camera to lift the weights. :mad:

If this helps, the concrete masonry units in the background measure 8" x 16". I chose this background so one could measure the difference in rod flex if he so pleases.

I'll start off with the lighter rods and work up to the heavy sticks.

First is the JM 200g power spell. I probably pushed this rod over its rated capacity. It just kept wanting more weight. Nice rod. It surprised me. I bought it for snapper fishing but after testing it, I will probably use it on larger species.

Length is 5'2".
    PE 1.5-4
    200g max
    $400 approx.

Attached Files:

andyflyone and ahmed.ganainy like this.
  2. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Next is another Jigging Master Rod. This is a 300g rod custom wrapped. Tough rod. Very versatile rod.

Length 70"
    PE 3-6
    300g
    $385

Attached Files:

3. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Thank you Mr. Bill, I'm looking forward to your analysis and am pretty sure others are too. :)

4. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Next is the Genesis Oceancraft "Long Range Special".
    I wish I had more of these rods. Very nice jigging rod.

Model BR56
    320g
    Length 67"
    PE 5-8

Attached Files:

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Next is the OTI G3 400g. Really nice rod. I've only had it a short time but have caught some nice fish with it. I need to buy a conventional. Great price for a quality rod.

Length 62 1/2"
    400g
    Fight drag 17#
    Max drag 25#
    PE4-8
    $269

Attached Files:

6. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

I'll put in a request.....if you have an OTI popping rod, can you do that one too!

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Next is the Tuna Max 400XH. Another great versatile all around jigging rod but is no longer available. Randy wrapped it "A" spec.

Length 67"
    400g
    PE 4-8
    $400

Attached Files:

chito likes this.
  8. hamptonsurf

spinning if you got one!

9. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Next is a Jigging Master Power Spell 500g. Another nice product from Jigging Master. Easy to fish and very parabolic.

500g
    Length 56"
    PE 5=10
    $465

Attached Files:

10. hamptonsurf

That tuna max is sharp!

11. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Next is the OTI 600g G3. This is a custom wrap. Very strong rod. Use for big fish or heavy jigs. I like heavy rated rods because I like to use lots of drag and put the wood to fish.:D Very well priced. This is the spinning version.

Length 66"
    600g
    Fight drag 22#
    Max drag 30#
    $279

Attached Files:

12. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Here's another OTI 600g G3 custom wrap in a conventional version.

Length 66"
    Fight drag 22#
    Max drag 30#
    PE 6-10
    $279

Attached Files:

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Next is the Zenaq B60H "Monster Buster" for Ironman. This is a broomstick of a jigging rod. Doesn't bend much but is very light for such a strong rod. Pull out this beast if you think something very large is in your sonar. Use with very heavy jigs.

Length 72"
    1000g
    PE 8-12
    $717

Attached Files:

14. holy cow

holy cow Senior Member

Found out they have a new Popping rod. Here are some details. I am curious if it is lite enough compared to the over seas brands? Anyone ever used this rod? Great work. Dan

TP 8680 SP-SG - NEW!

8' 6"

2 piece

2-10 oz rated

60-100

Mod

$330

Rods | Lamiglas

Here are a few pictures of the handle. Josh our designer said it will handle as much or more drag than you will be willing to use. Product testers landed numerous 200-300lb blue fin on it before it went into production.

8’6” 2-10oz lure wt. 60-100 lb. Split Handle.

15. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Mr Bill,

What size Accurate reel is that you are using? Is that the factory handle?

16. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Great post MrBill, I sure like the looks of that Zenaq B60H,

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Let's move on to popping rods. First off will be the OTI 7'6" 50# popping rod.
    All the popping rods listed will be 2-piece. This is a must for traveling even if you just haul it in you vehicle from home to fishing boat. I'll break down the size of the long "Guide Section" for packing purposes.

The OTI 7'6" rod is nice for those who have length restrictions. Some people don't like long rods and this a great casting rod for those who like to toss poppers and like fighting a fish with shorter rods. I've caught many tuna with this rod. The rod loads up well when casting. Nice value rod. The one in the picture is a custom wrap. Stock rod is same blank as one pictured.

Overall Length 7'6"
    Longest section 59"
    40-60# rating
    Max lure wt 200g
    Max drag 20#
    $289

Attached Files:

18. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Next up is the Super Seeker CJBF70H. This is a heavy rod compared to the thinner Japanese style popping rods. This is a custom wrap rod. This rod has a fast action with a heavy butt section. It is a one piece rod. I had two of these built before the thinner poppers were introduced. I do like this rod and now use it for live baiting or kite fishing. It does cast well with the softer tip action and would be an excellent popping choice for the west coast guys who prefer heavier sticks.

Length 7'0"
    40-60#
    $425

Attached Files:

19. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

20. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Next is the OTI 40-60# Tuna Sniper. When I first bought this rod I knew it was a winner after I opened the box. Light, strong, good pricing and well designed. I've caught a lot of tuna with this rod and plan on catching many more in the years to come. Great choice for the Gulf of Mexico tuna.

Overall length 8'6"
    Longest section 72"
    40-60#
    Lure 100-200g
    Fighting drag 17-18#
    Max drag 20#
    $350

Attached Files:

fillet2release likes this.