Jigging master PE4 Vs Alutecnos Gorilla 12C.

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Iman, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Iman

Iman Senior Member

Hi Guys . I would appreciate that some one that had tested them could write some feed backs. I want to know because I'm looking for a reel to put on the JM PS 200g'B. since they are both great jigging reels I'm confused and maybe you can help me out with some reviews on those reels. hope you rite some Like/Dislikes about these reels.

Thank you very much
    Iman

2. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

My expectation is you can't go wrong either way. I love the 12C's and they performed flawless for the sessions I used it for this year (not nearly as many as I like) Kilsong didn't report any issues with the PE4, so they should be OK also.

I would get which ever one you think you will be the happiest with.

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

99% sure the pe-4 is a smaller reel. but.........its gonna be tough to send any of these gorilla 12Cs back to Alutecnos assuming guys on the trip next weekend don't buy them. may just have to get one for myself :D

I hope someone else will chime in as well

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Both are good jigging reels. Whether you buy JM PE reel or Alutecnos 12C reel, you'll not be disappointed.
    I have been costantly in search of better jigging reels. If you target any fish(tuna) under 100 lbs, I think star drag reels are better choice as it is more convenient to use and there is no binding problem. But if you like to catch over 150 lbs tuna, lever drag reels are the choice though you can land big tuna with star drag reels. I landed a 170 - 180 lb bluefin with JM PE5 reel in 11 minutes yesteday. I could adjust drag while fighting. You can not do it with star drag reels.

As Bret said, PE4 reel is very small reel like Avet SX size.

5. Wachtel

Wachtel Member

I was in the same spot, also considered the OJ 4000 and the Trinidad 40N. I bought the 12C but with the rubber T-handle.

6. Iman

Iman Senior Member

thank you guys. Now all I need is that Ksong answer my pm :)

7. RoyBoy

RoyBoy Member

Interesting question here. I own both the G12C (YGK Ultra PE6) and the JM
    PE4 (Saltiga Boat Braid PE4), as well as JM PE5 (Saltiga Boat Braid PE6).

PE4 is a lot smaller and lighter than G12C. I use the PE4 on my JSR250 and JM Power Spell 300. The G12C or JM PE5 on my JSR 350 and JSR 450.

IMO, all the above are AMAZING reels........ decisions decisions..... there goes the credit card!!! LOL!

8. north coast

north coast Senior Member

thank you guys. Now all I need is that Ksong answer my pm :)

Call him:)

9. RoyBoy

RoyBoy Member

Iman, I would think you should be contemplating the JM PE5/6 Vs the G12C from a "level" playing fields perspective? Just a thought.... (waiting for Kil to slap me around the ears! LOL!!).

The PE4 is definitely a size down...........also the BEST reel out there in the "David Vs Goliath" dept. ie - bass-caster size with teeth?

Refering to your initial post about a reel to match a JM PS200?

G/12C too heavy, JM PE 5/6 too big!

If I was making the decision........ well...... the JM PE4 sounds like the perfect match (with 1 exception JM announced a PE3 reel today! Kil will expand on that later!).

I would go for the "Improve" (current) version of the JM PE4 on the 200.... but that's me.

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Iman, I would think you should be contemplating the JM PE5/6 Vs the G12C from a "level" playing fields perspective? Just a thought.... (waiting for Kil to slap me around the ears! LOL!!).

The PE4 is definitely a size down...........also the BEST reel out there in the "David Vs Goliath" dept. ie - bass-caster size with teeth?

Refering to your initial post about a reel to match a JM PS200?

G/12C too heavy, JM PE 5/6 too big!

If I was making the decision........ well...... the JM PE4 sounds like the perfect match (with 1 exception JM announced a PE3 reel today! Kil will expand on that later!).

I would go for the "Improve" (current) version of the JM PE4 on the 200.... but that's me.
    If he asks JM PE reel, I can answer any questions, but when he asks to compare JM PE reels with other reels, I am reluctant to answer as I am a dealer of JM reels and I don't carry Alutecnos reels currently. :)

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

you really think the 12C is too heavy???

12. dyoung

dyoung Junior member

just my opinion, but i feel the 12c and the blue heaven 120hi/lo which i'm waiting to purchase may be the best jigging reels period. the ocea jigger should be considered. ocea jigger, 12c, blue heaven, pe4, saltiga40, and etc. one of the reasons i put the pe4 fourth is because of the retrive speed is a little on the slow side. i read it only gets 19" to 21" per revolution. personally, none of the reels i mentioned are too heavy. the ocea 4000p is a littile tall but i can work with that considering all of its other positives. imo;)

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Did you guys use JM 200g rod ?
    The rod is rated only to PE1.5 to PE4 for inshore jigging.

14. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

To match the JMPS200B, choose the JMPE4 or better still wait for the JMPE3 reel. All others mentioned don't match this rod.

I have used the JMPE4 on several big trips and despite their lower line retrieve rate, they are simply fantastic performers in every other respect. To over come the retrieve rate, use PE4 line and spool the reel to its upper limits. Also select jigs that work well at medium retrieve speeds.

Roy has it dead right!

15. fishor

fishor Member

Wat about which jm reel to use for matching with the jm 400g rod jigging in 120m to 200m of water n using a range from 260g to 500g jigs? I almost always prefer to jig underarm using the machanical way.

16. d-a

d-a Senior Member

just my opinion, but i feel the 12c and the blue heaven 120hi/lo which i'm waiting to purchase may be the best jigging reels period. the ocea jigger should be considered. ocea jigger, 12c, blue heaven, pe4, saltiga40, and etc. one of the reasons i put the pe4 fourth is because of the retrive speed is a little on the slow side. i read it only gets 19" to 21" per revolution. personally, none of the reels i mentioned are too heavy. the ocea 4000p is a littile tall but i can work with that considering all of its other positives. imo;)

Does the Blue haven still have cork drags? If it does then i wouldn't consider it as one of the best overhead jigging reels out there.

d-a

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

one of the reasons i put the pe4 fourth is because of the retrive speed is a little on the slow side. i read it only gets 19" to 21" per revolution.
    It is funny some want to buy JM PE reels because of 4:1 gear ratio and some don't want to buy the reel becasue of 4:1 gear ratio. :)

There was time I preferred 6:1 gear ratio for yellowtail or AJ, but not anymore after fishing them with many jigging reels with different gear ratio.
    Someone has to explain why JM reels have so much cranking power even it does get lesser inches per crank than other jigging reels. :)

While deepwater cod jigging in MA last week, PE5 reel clearly showed more cranking power than Satiga 40 which is known for cranking power.

18. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Wat about which jm reel to use for matching with the jm 400g rod jigging in 120m to 200m of water n using a range from 260g to 500g jigs? I almost always prefer to jig underarm using the machanical way.

I'd recommend JMPE6, 7 or 8.

19. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

I'd recommend JMPE6, 7 or 8.
    I have the J/M PE 4 paired with J/M 300g rod, I feel this is perfect combo the 12C is a larger reel maybe the size of the PE5 (to #100 fish)

I also have a 12C paired with a 7'6" OTI 2 pc acid jigger as my heavier long jigging rod - I tend to use the 300g more as its lighter.

The lower ratio is not an issue and its nice to have when you are pulling up grouper from 500+ feet

20. d-a

d-a Senior Member

It is funny some want to buy JM PE reels because of 4:1 gear ratio and some don't want to buy the reel becasue of 4:1 gear ratio. :)

There was time I preferred 6:1 gear ratio for yellowtail or AJ, but not anymore after fishing them with many jigging reels with different gear ratio.
    Someone has to explain why JM reels have so much cranking power even it does get lesser inches per crank than other jigging reels. :)

While deepwater cod jigging in MA last week, PE5 reel clearly showed more cranking power than Satiga 40 which is known for cranking power.

Kil when you add a longer handle like is on a JM reel you will increase your "cranking power". A better comparison would be if both reels have the same handle length.

As for to 4:1 ratio, I didnt care for it when i used the PE4 reel because it doesnt fit my style of speed jigging. You couldnt rip the jig back fast enough with it without tiring yourself.

d-a