360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a used Power Spell reel a while ago and just used it for the first time. Drag set to 20lbs on strike but after jigging with it a bit the knob will loosen up and i could easily pull the line out by hand.

Any ideas and how/who can fix it?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,429 Posts
Sounds like worn-out bellvilles. There is a pair of bellville "wave" washers that are used to maintain drag settings.
if it won't hold they're probably shot. Easy fix if you're familiar with your reel. No idea how to find those or what might interchange, but it sure sounds like the problem

·
146 Posts
try changing out the bearing inside the preset adjuster. If this is sticky, working the drag lever can sometimes adjust the drag preset knob. A simple way to prove is to mark the prest knob then repeatedly adjust the drag lever from zero to max. Watch the preset knob for any movement.
There, one of my closely guarded sercrets is out!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update...not a good one.

Sent the reel to Evike. Looked good and the paperwork said they replaced a bearing (forgot which one). Didn't even fish it hard or long and I notice some play in the drag knob and it feels like the knob isn't screwing into the reel. Turning the handle now seems a bit off. In a short while i finally notice that the handle is rubbing on the drag knob every turn. Now both handle and knob is scratched up. Just emailed Evike again but we'll see what comes from this. Leaving a really bad taste in my mouth about buying a used JM reel. Purchased plenty of used Shimanos and Daiwas with no problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts