jigging lures

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by THE_BLUFF_RAT, May 20, 2009.

1. THE_BLUFF_RAT

THE_BLUFF_RAT Guest

when fishing for tuna..how often do you have a lure break off? im wondering how many lures would you take on a trip?

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

everyone here takes too many, i can already tell you that ;)

i probably take 20 jigs on every trip. normally use under 5.

3. papio

papio Senior Member

Yeah, many of us take too many jigs and then some. 20 jigs is about right - already heavy too. Don't forget to wire up for sharp toothers.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i shouldve expanded.......i take that many bc i have them. you shouldnt NEED 20 jigs.

5. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Take some hammered diamond jigs (couple of 6oz, 8oz, 10oz, and maybe a 12oz for heavy current and super deep jigging) with u as they are great for pretty much anything, especially grouper.

Jigs, Rigs and Stuff...

Buy them pre-rigged with single hook or add your own assist hook of choice.

6. THE_BLUFF_RAT

THE_BLUFF_RAT Guest

thanks everyone for the info!

7. Van Wildonher

Van Wildonher Member

I take about 15, loose some every trip...

8. jig

jig Senior Member

As far as bare minimum, I would have 3 'fancy' jigs, in 7, 10 and 14 oz (9 total, I like pink benthos w/ glow belly) and 3 diamond jigs, in 8, 10 and 14oz (9 total).

I am pretty tight on spending money on lures, and I carry probably 40 jigs. If you lose your hot jig and have no replacement, you will be very sad.

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

For tuna jigging, you don't lose many jigs as you seldom lose jigs to structures like bottomfish jigging or AJ jigging around rigs.
    However, I suggest to bring several different jigs with different sizes as you never know what works best on a particular situation.

As you know, I favor cheap, but effective jigs like hammered diamond jigs for bottom fishing or when sharteeth species like king mackerel or barracuda are around, but not in the case of tuna jigging.
    I don't mind $30 - 40 a piece for tuna jigging if they are known as tuna catchers. One of my favorite tuna jigs is Seven Sea's 220 g Hooker jig.
    I don't know how many I caught tuna on those jigs. In fact, the quality jigs like Hooker jigs are economical in the long run as they last longer due to strong wires they use. Metallic Sardine jigs are one of the best tuna jigs, but they eyes get broken or the jig itself get bent after catching one or two tuna.
    Don't jig too deep or use big jigs for tuna as I've never used over 10 oz for tuna.

Here pictures of Seven Sea's 220g Hooker jig and Metallic Sardine jig with broken eye. I don't know how many trips I used the Hooker jig while the damaged Metallic Sardine jig are used only one trip.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jig

jig Senior Member

Kil, you are right of course, but in the GOM when tuna fishing around platforms, there are often 'cuda around. I guess it depends on where you fish.

Another good point, I rarely ever fish more than 10oz jig. But on one trip, 14oz was all they were hitting; if you didn't have one, you didn't get bit. I vowed not to let that happen again, so I always have a half dozen or so.

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil, you are right of course, but in the GOM when tuna fishing around platforms, there are often 'cuda around. I guess it depends on where you fish.

Another good point, I rarely ever fish more than 10oz jig. But on one trip, 14oz was all they were hitting; if you didn't have one, you didn't get bit. I vowed not to let that happen again, so I always have a half dozen or so.
    Yes, as I said, you can not use expensive jigs if cuda or king mackerel are around.

If you say they hit 14 oz jigs, I assume you fish in strong current or strong wind that day. Am I right ?
    You got to send jigs where tuna roam. :) We seldom drift when it blows on the East Coast. If curernt or wind is strong, I usually cast upcurrent and work lighter jigs until it float away. Then I reel in and cast again.
    The reason I use lighter and small jigs is I usually get more bites with them.
    There were time we used 14 - 16 oz jigs, but we rarely use such heavy jigs for tuna anymore.

12. jig

jig Senior Member

Yes, you are right. You've been on the Big E and seen how we fish. If the current and/or wind is too much, the drift will not allow you to get deep. Of course, I am too weak to fish such a heavy jig for long.:)

13. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I usually take a friend along that has 40-50 jigs so I can use all of his. Its worked well for me so far:D

d-a