360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get on a trip to do mainly jigging out of the Galveston/Freeport area. I'd like to target some of the bigger fish in the GOM...is there any guides/charter boats you guys recommend?

Rich

·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea im thinking thats my only resort too. im new to jigging so i am trying to find someone to go with that can show me the ropes. if not i have no choice but to wing it.

G

·
i'm hoping to do an april trip as well......

after the 12 hour trip, they let me walk around on the big e...that boat is sweet.

oh, and if you do a day trip or anything beforehand.....you can jig all you want, just go to the bow. no one was past the benches other than me. on almost every drop i had a nice red snapper or amberjack. this is a pic of pretty much the only thing i used all day....

·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet! Maybe we can get together and make it happen. April is looking like the perfect month to go for me too but I might hop on one before that just to check it out...I got the itch...=)

·
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys,

I also chose to use a spinning outfit for jigging. I see posts about getting hit on the drop and need input from you guys that use a spinning outfit to jig on what to do when I get hit on the drop. How do I close the bail? Do I crank the reel or try to do a quick close of the bail?

G

·
On the stella, saragosa and saltiga - i don't think you can close the bail by reeling as you can on a baitrunner and other reels. I may be wrong, but I think this is the case. It might be the same on others as well.

·
1,086 Posts
Hmmm.
If fishing right handed with assist hooks.
use left hand to loosely feed line through fingers
close to reel, on right hand while gripping the rod lay pointer finger against rod
by reel seat. On the drop you might either feel a light tap
on right hand fingeror or the line will stop pulling through left hand fingers
OR pull faster through fingers.... So in other words when conditions
change during a steady drop either your jigs been hit or you hit bottom:eek:
in one motion left hand closes bail as rod is being pointed down and then retrieve line until tight on fish. If you are not hooked up add 5-10 quick cranks and then drop through bite zone again. Hits can be suttle.
If drift is slow drop straight down, if drift is fast try to posistion on the boat so you can pitch jig some what up current. It's best if possible if the jig is some what verticle to rod when passing through strike zone.
But this is same with both Conventional and Spin equipment.

I like getting hit on the drop then I don't have to be concerned about
Jig bouncing and retrive styles.

Good luck

K2

·
1,086 Posts
Hmmm.
If fishing right handed with assist hooks.
use left hand to loosely feed line through fingers
close to reel, on right hand while gripping the rod lay pointer finger against rod
by reel seat. On the drop you might either feel a light tap
on right hand fingeror or the line will stop pulling through left hand fingers
OR pull faster through fingers.... So in other words when conditions
change during a steady drop either your jigs been hit or you hit bottom:eek:
in one motion left hand closes bail as rod is being pointed down and then retrieve line until tight on fish. If you are not hooked up add 5-10 quick cranks and then drop through bite zone again. Hits can be suttle.
If drift is slow drop straight down, if drift is fast try to posistion on the boat so you can pitch jig some what up current. It's best if possible if the jig is some what verticle to rod when passing through strike zone.
But this is same with both Conventional and Spin equipment.

I like getting hit on the drop then I don't have to be concerned about
Jig bouncing and retrive styles.:cool:

Good luck

K2

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
Mhy saragosa does have an automatic bail close. I can reel and it will close or I can close it manually. I think I will close it manual more ofaten than not since my hand will already be right there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.