Jigging in GOM

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by rtran, Feb 28, 2008.

1. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I'm trying to get on a trip to do mainly jigging out of the Galveston/Freeport area. I'd like to target some of the bigger fish in the GOM...is there any guides/charter boats you guys recommend?

Rich

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Under Water Expeditions
    The big E is probably the best long range prospect we have on this side of the gulf. a 52hr will get you shots at yftuna, blackfin. Aj's grouper etc.. I am sure some others have some other options for you.

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

yea im thinking thats my only resort too. im new to jigging so i am trying to find someone to go with that can show me the ropes. if not i have no choice but to wing it.

4. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

The big E would be the place to start. There is a lot of fellows who do a lot of jigging on that boat

5. gman

gman Senior Member

grescobia that is some tuna

6. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I want to go month of March/April on a 52 hour as I am still getting some misc tackle together right now.

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i'm hoping to do an april trip as well......

after the 12 hour trip, they let me walk around on the big e...that boat is sweet.

oh, and if you do a day trip or anything beforehand.....you can jig all you want, just go to the bow. no one was past the benches other than me. on almost every drop i had a nice red snapper or amberjack. this is a pic of pretty much the only thing i used all day....

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Attached Files:

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Sweet! Maybe we can get together and make it happen. April is looking like the perfect month to go for me too but I might hop on one before that just to check it out...I got the itch...=)

10. papio

papio Senior Member

Hey Bret, is that a Hopper rod? What Size?

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

it is - 4'10", up to 500g.

12. papio

papio Senior Member

Sweet! I like them Hopper blanks, its got the same action of my Sevenseas rod. I'll be building a custom 600g shortly. Good fishing.

13. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Guys,

I also chose to use a spinning outfit for jigging. I see posts about getting hit on the drop and need input from you guys that use a spinning outfit to jig on what to do when I get hit on the drop. How do I close the bail? Do I crank the reel or try to do a quick close of the bail?

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

On the stella, saragosa and saltiga - i don't think you can close the bail by reeling as you can on a baitrunner and other reels. I may be wrong, but I think this is the case. It might be the same on others as well.

15. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Hmmm.
    If fishing right handed with assist hooks.
    use left hand to loosely feed line through fingers
    close to reel, on right hand while gripping the rod lay pointer finger against rod
    by reel seat. On the drop you might either feel a light tap
    on right hand fingeror or the line will stop pulling through left hand fingers
    OR pull faster through fingers.... So in other words when conditions
    change during a steady drop either your jigs been hit or you hit bottom:eek:
    in one motion left hand closes bail as rod is being pointed down and then retrieve line until tight on fish. If you are not hooked up add 5-10 quick cranks and then drop through bite zone again. Hits can be suttle.
    If drift is slow drop straight down, if drift is fast try to posistion on the boat so you can pitch jig some what up current. It's best if possible if the jig is some what verticle to rod when passing through strike zone.
    But this is same with both Conventional and Spin equipment.

I like getting hit on the drop then I don't have to be concerned about
    Jig bouncing and retrive styles.

Good luck

K2

16. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Hmmm.
    If fishing right handed with assist hooks.
    use left hand to loosely feed line through fingers
    close to reel, on right hand while gripping the rod lay pointer finger against rod
    by reel seat. On the drop you might either feel a light tap
    on right hand fingeror or the line will stop pulling through left hand fingers
    OR pull faster through fingers.... So in other words when conditions
    change during a steady drop either your jigs been hit or you hit bottom:eek:
    in one motion left hand closes bail as rod is being pointed down and then retrieve line until tight on fish. If you are not hooked up add 5-10 quick cranks and then drop through bite zone again. Hits can be suttle.
    If drift is slow drop straight down, if drift is fast try to posistion on the boat so you can pitch jig some what up current. It's best if possible if the jig is some what verticle to rod when passing through strike zone.
    But this is same with both Conventional and Spin equipment.

I like getting hit on the drop then I don't have to be concerned about
    Jig bouncing and retrive styles.:cool:

Good luck

K2

17. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I kind of get it but I'll need someone to show me to get the full grasp of it.

18. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Mhy saragosa does have an automatic bail close. I can reel and it will close or I can close it manually. I think I will close it manual more ofaten than not since my hand will already be right there.

19. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Auto bail is not a good thing for casting popper, you might lost a few popper because of the bail close on you. JMO.

20. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Rich, it's not a hard deal. Just think slabbing for sandbass, only on a much larger scale.
    -B

21. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

you might loose a few popper anyway....:D :D :D :D