JIgging gloves

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by jiggawhat, Jan 31, 2009.

1. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Ok i havnt seen any post for gloves but in the pics many jiggers use them.Should i get half finger , full fingers, some with half some with full?Do i need them?What brands?Thanks for the help guys.

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Full finger if you are planning on popping. You can use half finger for jigging. I prefer Zenaq gloves

d-a

3. word-doctor

word-doctor Senior Member

I like using cheapo thin hunting gloves--they aren't waterproof, even. They keep the braid from abrading me and I don't lose any touch. Maybe $4 at BPS or Academy. They aren't cotton (some kind of manmade stuff).

4. gman

gman Senior Member

5. Cudakilla

Cudakilla Senior Member

I use the Smith Mesh. Have an extra for sale in the for sale section.

6. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

Gloves??? What are glove's for?

7. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

8. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

David, I don't use em either.

Fred

9. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

Why do you need gloves for your hand's?Just curious?

10. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

I know why you use them casting with spectra but I've never needed extra grip or protection jigging.

Fred

11. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

Gotcha Fred,Thank's.

12. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Why do you need gloves for your hand's?Just curious?

David

You wont if you use a long enough mono leader to get a wrap or 2 on the spool. However if you don't use a soft enough leader material you will have problems with the braid wrapping over the 2nd or 3rd eye(from the top). This seems to always happen during a wide open topwater bite and your stuck fixing it while everyone else has screaming drags.

There is really only 2 solutions. have a short enough leader that you mid knot or PR knot is outside the guides (will require gloves) or use some very soft leader material like the Varivas or Fisherman shock leader.

d-a

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

you can cast with braid without gloves ive done it. gloves help but arent necessary. what doug mentions can be an issue but tuna DO get line shy which is why i like fluorocarbon leaders. if theyre not shy then the fisherman does work well, just a gamble at times. for jigging the biggest benefit is for your thumb if you use conventional reels. the rubber grips can be a bit annoying when you're reeling all day long but not that bad.

i use the smiths and like them, but other cheap gloves would be just fine. one thing to keep in mind is the smell never comes out so if that bothers you then dont get gloves. another benefit is it protects your hands a bit from spines and gills when dealing with fish.

so do you NEED gloves? no. do they help with some things, yeah.

14. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I don't use gloves when casting or jigging with a spinner because I use a 10 to 12' mono leader. I've never had my 50# Big Game Electric Blue mono fail. It cast a lot better than fluorocarbon.

Using a conventional reel with spectra, is different. My thumb and index finger will get cut up keeping the line level on the spool with heavy drag pressure. I should use them more than I do. My left hand got pretty cut up on my last trip. When unpacking, I found 2 pair of gloves which I couldn't find while on the boat.:mad:

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

mr bill i had the same problem which is why i got the gloves. tired of my thumb getting cut up. i felt like a sissy at first but it did help

16. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

Full fingers gloves for me - use Pelagic & Aftco blue fever
    Zenaq look cool from pictures but haven't found a tackle store in Houston that sell that.
    Why do you need gloves for your hand's? To avoid cuts from braid line and handling fishes.

17. gmack

gmack Senior Member

My fingers were getting pretty cut up from the braid so I bought some of these gloves: Max Sport Patch Palm Black We buy safety items from this company at work. They are really great glvoes with mesh tops.

Gary

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I am notorious for not wearing gloves in any condition. :)
    I cast poppers for GT for 5 days straight wiithout wearing gloves in Fiji.
    I carry jigging gloves, but I am wordering why they buy them paying for $50. :)

[​IMG]

19. gman

gman Senior Member

what a bunch of manly men on this site. I will be the little girl and say I wear gloves all the time. I get blisters and cuts if I dont wear them. Even with a long leader casting all day will end up ripping the skin off my finger and to be honest I like really loading up a rod so gloves are a must or some finger protector .

20. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Glenn, blister get harder if you continue to cast with blister. :)
    Joking aside, wearing gloves is standard for jigging and popping, but I used to it without gloves.