Jigging For Tuna

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by rtran, May 17, 2008.

1. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Guys,

I will be on a long range trip soon and one of my goals is to jig yellow fin tuna. For you experience tuna jiggers what has been most effective for you? Small jig/long jig/speed jig/slow jig/yo yo style? I know alot depends on conditions also but I'd like input from you tuna jiggers. Thanks

Rich

2. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

Guys,

I will be on a long range trip soon and one of my goals is to jig yellow fin tuna. For you experience tuna jiggers what has been most effective for you? Small jig/long jig/speed jig/slow jig/yo yo style? I know alot depends on conditions also but I'd like input from you tuna jiggers. Thanks

Rich

PurEvl,

All the jigs you mentioned will work at some time, but you really have to
    experiment with several jigs to see what thay want at the time. I found that smaller jigs work best.

Diamond jigs are very good i think, when thay are not very aggresive you can
    yo-yo them in the strike zone for long periods of time.
    When thay are aggresive the Japanese style jigs really shine, as a fast moving
    jig really gets them going.

Last year i caught all my tunas useing Japanese jigs as on all my trips the tuna's were really aggresive

1 of 15 i caught in one night using a Andaman jig.
    [​IMG]

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Thanks, I hope to be lucky and get aggressive feeding frenzy like you.

4. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I've found YF in the GOM want a slower action, the size of the jig depends on current and depth.

5. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

if there are blackfin in the area they will almost always beat the yellowfin to the jigs. it doesn't matter what size jig or how you work the jig. the blackfins are quicker and get the jig. once you get a jig below the blackfins in the water column then you have a better chance of hooking up a yellowfin. you don't generally have to jig as aggressively to get a yellowfin to hit your jig. in the gulf of mexico there are lots of times that there are no blackfins or minimum blackfins around a school of yellowfins and that is the times when you experience a really great yellowfin jig bite. i don't know if this applies on the east or west coast because i don't fish those waters on a regular basis but i assume it is the same there.....rick

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

blackfin aren't in the northeast, don't have that problem there :)

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

So I'm looking to put some hammered diamond jigs into my jig bag and want to know what hook you guys recommend for tuna?