Jigging for stripers?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by nxtbgctch, Apr 22, 2009.

1. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

Do any of you northeast guys ever find a need to drop jigs for stripers? Im gonnna try it on the local lake I fish on and wanted to know if they seem to have any preferred jig types or presentations. Post spawn the fish move out to where the lake bottom meets the river channel. The water drops from 40-80 feet and they seem to be sitting on the dropoff about 50-60ft. They are very obvious on the graph but to the best of my knowledge noone has ever attempted to catch them. The typical methods are trolling bucktails in the spawn and throwing topwaters when they school in the river bends during the summer. They range from 5-20lbs if it matters. Im gonna start with a 4oz diamond jig unless someone has a better idea.

2. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Here in the Northeast, jigging Parachute jigs and Bucktail jigs is a very popular way to catch them. Sounds like when they stage on that 50 foot edge, you could do very well jigging for them.

3. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

jiggings pretty popular in here in jersey, where we fish
    bucktail jigs, diamond jigs.
    great fishing here

4. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

Do any of you northeast guys ever find a need to drop jigs for stripers? Im gonnna try it on the local lake I fish on and wanted to know if they seem to have any preferred jig types or presentations. Post spawn the fish move out to where the lake bottom meets the river channel. The water drops from 40-80 feet and they seem to be sitting on the dropoff about 50-60ft. They are very obvious on the graph but to the best of my knowledge noone has ever attempted to catch them. The typical methods are trolling bucktails in the spawn and throwing topwaters when they school in the river bends during the summer. They range from 5-20lbs if it matters. Im gonna start with a 4oz diamond jig unless someone has a better idea.

get some spro bucktails around 3 oz and some tails.

Attached Files:

5. Jim Hensley

Jim Hensley Junior member

We do nothing but jig for Striper. Tried the trolling thing and it's just too long and boring for me. Of course the fish need to be schooled up to have much success but that sounds like the case for you. We use 3/4 oz to as much as 4 oz jig heads with either bass assassins (7" or 5") or BKD (bass kandy delights). Both are soft plastic baits. Jig head weight for us depends on the current as we are fishing the Chesapeake Bay and the Ocean. In a lake I might use a 1 to 1 & 1/2 oz jig head, go with as light as you can get away with and I might start out with a 5 inch bass assassin in albino or opening night color or chartreuse glitter depending on the conditions. Drop down to their depth and give it a good pop up and drop and slowly retrieve back to the boat with this erratic pop, drop and reel. Don't allow any slack in the line keep the line tight so you can feel the bite which is usually a pick up chunk. Then rare back and set the hook. Pretty fun. Good luck! Jim.

6. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

i was going to respond that you could put a dollar bill on a line with a sinker, then I realized you were not asking about a stripper, but a striper! sorry

7. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

Anthony, it may not be salt but at least they will pull a little drag. The spawn fishing shut dwon real early for some reason. If I figure them out on the jig ill let you know.

I got some 4oz spros recently for grouper that I will have to give a try also. Thanks!