Jigging for Grouper

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Redfish2185, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Redfish2185

Redfish2185 Junior member

Hey guys,

I've been browsing these boards for quite a while and have learned a ton from yall (definitely a friendlier community here than on other boards I won't mention). I fish in the GOM usually out of Venice or Fourchon, but have never had any luck with grouper. I'm completely hooked on jigging and would love to catch them on jigs, and I see that many of you here do. Any advice for catching them on jigs around platforms in this area?

2. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Welcome to the board Redfish2185.

It seems to me that the more folks that are jigging at one time then the better the available fish seem to turn on. The grouper seem to hold tight to structure. Make sure that you are using a heavy enough jig so that you do not have a large bow in your line or loose contact with your jig.

Patience and persistence are the secret...

3. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f4/big-e-trip-report-june-13-15-a-2660/

Welcome to the board,

Lots of info here filed away, example is the link above.

Check back about Monday as a bunch of jiggers and popper guys that
    post are out now and I'm sure current reports will follow.

This weekend I feel like a bridesmaid as I am not able to be out with them

As you might know Grouper fishing\catching differs from NC east coast to Fla west coast
    to the Venice\Fouchon, Deep Texas area.

For the area you asked about, I've found the smaller Grouper Gag,Red, Black,Hind,Strawberry, Skamp closer to the bottom of course and have caught most on some type of bait.

But the Warsaw !!!
    The ones I have hooked mostly have come from like 20% off of the bottom of the water depth.
    Example 320 ft bottom = 40 ft up, or 680 ft bottom = 80 ft up the jacket.
    For the Tx \ La area
    I'm old school and will send down a 16 + oz lead head jig w\ 8" glow grub and tipped with some type of fresh fish meat.

K2

4. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Hey guys,

I've been browsing these boards for quite a while and have learned a ton from yall (definitely a friendlier community here than on other boards I won't mention). I fish in the GOM usually out of Venice or Fourchon, but have never had any luck with grouper. I'm completely hooked on jigging and would love to catch them on jigs, and I see that many of you here do. Any advice for catching them on jigs around platforms in this area?

I am no expert, but it seems the only time I caught the ones on thursday (reds, snowys and scamps) the jig needed to just bump the bottom at the very end of its fall. If it wasn't bumping, I didn't seem to be catching. Even if it was coming with 1' of the bottom I wouldn't hook up. So, I would let out a little so it bumped and Bam, it was on.

5. Redfish2185

Thanks for the replies. I think I may just go ahead and skip jigging and resort to good ol' fashioned bait.

6. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I think I may just go ahead and skip jigging and resort to good ol' fashioned bait.

Don't do it. Just stick with it. A jig bit is so much more rewarding and thrilling. I would take one jig bit to 10 (OK maybe 5) bait bites any day of the week.

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

using diamond jigs is very easy. you just bounce the jig off the bottom. it is very obvious when a grouper hits the jig. on our trip (june 13-15) jigs outperformed bait for gags and scamps by a lot.

8. Redfish2185

Don't do it. Just stick with it. A jig bit is so much more rewarding and thrilling. I would take one jig bit to 10 (OK maybe 5) bait bites any day of the week.

Haha yeah I know. I'd take a hit on a piece of metal over bait any day, from redfish on a spoon to offshore fish on a jig. It always seems to get a fish all worked up, like they're mad for being fooled. I've been able to target all the fish I'm looking for on jigs besides grouper. Just thought I might locate them with bait to learn their tendencies before I hit them strictly with jigs.