360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a bunch of 400gr Nagamasa jigs for AJs. What size hooks, split rings, solid rings, and assist cord should I use? I was thinking 330 lb assist, 9/0 hooks, and 450 lb solid/split rings?

·
5,457 Posts
Hey guys, I have a bunch of 400gr Nagamasa jigs for AJs. What size hooks, split rings, solid rings, and assist cord should I use? I was thinking 330 lb assist, 9/0 hooks, and 450 lb solid/split rings?

I like the biggest hook you can find. Like the pre made OTI raptors in 10/0. If building my own I use 500lb Kevlar or hollow core braid with a owner SJ 51 11/0. Split rings, I use 200lb there only there to hold the jig on. Solid rings I like the strongest I can get.

One other thing AJ's are not leader shy so don't be afraid to go up to 200lb leader if necessary.

d-a

·
1,553 Posts
the naga 400 is my favorite jig. i use either an 11/0 mustad hoodlum or a shout kudako 7/0 with 500-700lb kevlar cord. i make the length about 1/3 of jig. best split rings ive used are the spro 255lb. it doesnt warp when opening up with split ring pliers. ive had this happen to all my smith and varivas rings.

·
Site Sponsor
93 Posts
The fishermen siden hooks are also very good. I use the 11/0 through 13/0. They have a wide gap and are very sharp. The wide gap is the key because it grabs a lot of meat. The fish gets hooked and stays hooked.

·
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know where I can get the kevlar cord and the hooks? PLAT doesnt have it and Angler's Pro SHop is always sold out lol

·
5,457 Posts
That's why I mentioned the pre made OTI 10/0 hooks. Kil might have some Large JM hooks and Kevlar. I have used the hollow core braid when I didn't have Kevlar.

d-a

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
YOu might try JM Alien jigs as they are specially designed for AJ by AJ jig fishermen.
Anglers Proshop should have assist hooks and cord.

·
424 Posts
Is it just me or does the feeling that i get when i look at the pictures of Kil's shop make me want to buy alot of stuff.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Here is mine...7/0 Shout Kudako to Varivas SS Cord #80, to Sampo Ball Bearing Swivel 300lbs with 300 Varivas Split ring...The split ring should be a big problem since you won't be pulling on the split ring, the split is only use to attach the jig to the swivel...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts