Jigging Destin 4/25

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by spineyman, Apr 26, 2009.

1. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Took Freddy and the Gang from Atlanta out and wore out the ajs, or rather the ajs wore us out. Most of the time at least 3 of us were bowed up at the same time as well as 4 and 5 of us. We had a blast but I think at last count the ajs won. I felt like I had kissed a Mack truck when I woke up this morning.
    Thanks to Freddy , Jonny , David and of course Jason from Birmingham for coming down to fish with this crazy old redneck. had a blast and I am looking forward to the next trip.

Spiney

2. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

No invite for me. Good job any other species?

3. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Caught a gag and lost a few more.Also had to vent and release some fine snapper. Just give me a shout when you are ready to come jigging.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

hey nice work guys, id like to get there soon to give it a go. going anytime soon?

5. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Once the weather turns to summer like patterns I try to go every Wed and Sat. Just drop me a line if you plan to be in the area and I will give it my best effort to get you out.

6. d-a

d-a Senior Member

George,

Next weekend you can fish instead of running the boat

d-a

7. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

We had a great trip! Thanks again George!! First 2-3 drops we found some dink AJs. But after that, the better fish turned on and the screen was lit up like a Christmas tree all day! Sorry for lack of pix. I snapped some early but not of any of the better fish...:( It's hard to stop when having so much fun!! We went straight to the spot, and fished that one small 1/2 mile area HARD. We barely slowed down even have a drink! :D Love it!!

I've never seen so many near-legal fish. Seems like the AJ were all 29-29.875". It was non-stop. Seems like everybody lost good fish, and I had a good grouper worked 75' off the bottom and treble from 300g dunk shot pulled. (I knew I needed to back off the drag but the hook pulled first.:mad: )

I only remember one lost jig in whole boat. NO kings!:) (other than one that tried to eat Johnny's AJ, see pix) We had fast drift so 300g to get to bottom dwellers (in 180-200') and 200g for AJs... Jigs I remember were blue 200g Jinkster, 200g blue/green no-name, Pink 200g Turkey Slider, 300g pink/glow Dunk Shot, Orange 400g? jig sim to Sanme, and 10oz gold hammered diamond. Another note... I killed 'em with Turkey Slider all day, guessing 20 AJ+? and that jig has one tiny little chip. Very, very nice!

Johnny's bitten AJ and David hooked up:
    [​IMG]

David hooked up:
    [​IMG]

Johnny's fish again:
    [​IMG]

George with 400g prototype OTI (very nice!):
    [​IMG]

George w/AJ:
    [​IMG]

George hooked up with 400g Barefoot and Penn Torque 200:
    [​IMG]

George hooked up with Xzoga 500g and OJ4000P:
    [​IMG]

8. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Jason, Thanks for the pics. It was a hoot.

9. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

Nice pic Jason! Congratulation!

10. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Jason........did you get to use the OJ4000p? How'd you like it?

11. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Yes he did, I am using it in the bottom picture. It is an awesome reel for sure.