Jigging/Deep Drop Hybrid Fishing...

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Uncle Russ, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Way back in the early Pre-Cambrian, from about 1963-73, when I was sipping tea at what is now the People's Republic of The University of Texas, I came to the conclusion that being a student just beat the dog turds out of doing something radical like getting a job and working. There were downsides to that approach, but the one upside is that I have remained a student all my life--and willing to learn. And I have learned a huge amount from folks on this board and Noreast and even more fishing with them on a sadly limited number of trips--but experience is the great teacher.

On my last Big E trip in early July, I watched a couple of folks--primarily Angelo, who was doing the slow-roll Northeastern style jigging, with a tipped jig. He may have caught some grouper doing this but I know he caught some nice snapper. Of course, it was impossible for me to refrain from harassing him about the "purity" of his jigging. :) But he was good natured about it and allowed the old man to remain on board. :) Now I find as I grow older that it takes my brain a little longer to formulate new scientific hypotheses from previously-observed events. In other words, I'm slowing down a little.

But along about last week, I got to thinking: What would be wrong with the following: Mount a big strong reel like you would use for deep dropping (I'm thinking Accurate ATD 12 here with 400 yards of JB 130) on a Calstar 700H (like you would use for slow jigging grouper or tuna), and instead of a big, heavy, grouper or AJ bottom rig, connect about 25 feet of 200 pound fluorocarbon to the braid, crimp on an 8-ounce diamond jig, with a HUGE assist hook looped to a BIG solid ring with the fluoro crimped to the same solid ring. Then put about a 4 pound rootin' tootin' hardtail on the assist hook, just under the rear fin, and drop that sucker down to the bottom. In other words, you would be "tipping" the jig--not with a little piece of squid as you would for snapper, but with a big honking livie--with tackle upgraded to handle bigger AJ s and Grouper? My thinking is that the assist hook would allow the hardtail to swim around in circles, but the weight would put enough of a crimp on his style (along with a differential cut on his tail fin) to put a serious hitch in his getalong.

Russ

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

That all sounds so familiar:D

GO FOR IT
    sounds like a good idea

3. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Russ,
    Your a couple of years behind the curve as yet. :D

4. rtran

rtran Senior Member

UR: That kind of sounds like regular live bait fishing unless you had planned to try to jig that. That would be quite a work out if you did.

5. tngbmt

tngbmt Senior Member

actually, the method allow live baiting, and if you happen to lose the bait, jig.
    we're replacing the useless lead with a diamond jig & hook (dual purpose)

6. rtran

rtran Senior Member

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

8. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

So, Uncle Russ finds once again that great minds run in the same channels. But that doesn't bother me--I don't recall that Leibnitz and Newton ever resented each other for the co-invention of the Calculus. ;) Being a genius is a heavy responsibility.

Russ

9. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Being a genius is a heavy responsibility.

Russ

That is true, where did you read that? :D

10. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

That is true, where did you read that? :D

on the bottom of a helicopter that was hoovering over the big e....rick

11. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

on the bottom of a helicopter that was hoovering over the big e....rick

TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!:D :D :D

12. jig

jig Senior Member

Russ, I now do something similar. I use my traditional droppers with big hunks of cut bait or squid for the big fish, but rather than a bank sinker, I put on a 16oz jig. I am fishing the baits, but once they are gone, I still have a lure down there and jig it a while before reeling in and rebaiting. It has resulted in several fish I would not have caught otherwise.

The problem I see with what you described is that the bait mentioned likely overpowers the jig. So it may be hard to get down deep without a tangle either in the set up itself or your neighbor anglers. I would also be concerned about the hinderence to hooking up with any fish as the jig might get int he way or the assist hook could not connect due to the size of the bait.

13. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Jig: Thanks. Those are real considerations. You might have to use a 24 ounce jig which would be too much for the rod I was thinking of. I actually experienced a big hardtail (plus current) wreaking havoc with as much as 40 ounces.

Good shot, Rick. :D Actually, I was a whole lot more concerned with my own welfare than with Jerry's during that whole episode. I was up topside while that SOB (the chopper, you understand--not Jerry :) ) was hovering overhead, and I think I must have seen too many disaster movies--I kept imagining the 'copter tilting to starboard when it lifted Jerry's full weight off the lower deck, and the whole kit-and-kaboodle crashing in a giant fireball into the stern of the boat, which would then take on water and pitch straight down like those last pictures of the Titanic. I figured I would be the last person left alive, floating 200 miles offshore in the Gulf, circled by 26-foot great whites until rescued, whereupon it would take a team of surgeons several hours to remove a 3-pound chunk of the chopper's rotor from my ass.

14. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

You know what is really sick? On the previous post, I thought about flaming Jig for hijacking a serious post that had already been hijacked with bullshit, with a serious answer. :D I really need to seriously consider getting a life.

15. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

16. jig

jig Senior Member

Yeah, If anybody had any idea how much time I spend on these forums they would have me commited. But since fishing is my life, this is only way to do it when you have a desk job.

17. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

I guess this is sort of along these same lines of using a jig for the weight.

My friend uses a hopkins or sting silver jig on the bottom of his sabiki rigs in place of a weight. He puts at least one king mack in the boat every time he makes live bait, using that set up. And sometimes several in one bait session.