jigging braid

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by jiggawhat, Jan 12, 2008.

1. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

what brand braid is best for jigging? power pro,sufix,tuffline, berkley..........i used power pro and had a couple of knots break. what kind of knot? i was told to use a polymer with clinch knots. watching jigs run away is hurting my wallet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

3. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Id agree, powerpro is not the answer but the OTI depthfinder line is an excelent choice and it is also marked by four colors that alternate every 25 feet so you know how much line you have out. jerry brown line one is aslo excellent product. but if neither of those suits you than id also recommend suffix.

4. etan

etan Senior Member

OTI Depthfinder line is great. Its great to be able to fish a certain depth easily. I've counted down, marked line, used line counters, but this is the best!

5. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

OTI marked jigging line is great. So is JB, Tuf-line and Varivas.

Using the knot instructions that come with powerpro is just asking for trouble. When jigging you need a 10 - 15 ft section of mono or flouro as a topshot to the spectra. There are many ways to attach the mono to the spectra, some of which depend on the relative diameters of the lines, but all of which are a matter of opinion. Here are some spectra to mono knots for you to search for:

Mid-knot (my fav)
    PR-knot
    GT-knot
    Reverse Albright
    Albright
    Worm (or yucatan)

I always use a heavier topshot than the spectra. To connect the heavy mono to the jig, I prefer the San Deigo Knot, while the other popular option is a Uni.

6. Bret

Bret Senior Member

OTI marked jigging line is great. So is JB, Tuf-line and Varivas.

Using the knot instructions that come with powerpro is just asking for trouble. When jigging you need a 10 - 15 ft section of mono or flouro as a topshot to the spectra. There are many ways to attach the mono to the spectra, some of which depend on the relative diameters of the lines, but all of which are a matter of opinion. Here are some spectra to mono knots for you to search for:

Mid-knot (my fav)
    Page Ranking-knot
    GT-knot
    Reverse Albright
    Albright
    Worm (or yucatan)

I always use a heavier topshot than the spectra. To connect the heavy mono to the jig, I prefer the San Deigo Knot, while the other popular option is a Uni.

Hey, what is a Page Ranking knot?????

7. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Hey, what is a Page Ranking knot?????

LoL, you can't escape it I guess. Jiggawhat, that should be the P-R knot.