Jigging at night during the new moon

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by JJ19, Aug 19, 2009.

1. JJ19

JJ19 Junior member

Hi all,

This is my first post, so let me start by saying this is a great forum and community. There's clearly an abundance of expertise as well as many helpful folks around. That said, my question: has anyone noticed or used different techniques for jigging for tuna at night during a new moon? I have a three-day trip to the NE canyons in a month. The boat goes out on the new moon and we fish for the three days and two nights following. I'm not much for chunking, so I'll probably jig for the two nights of fishing. I've had good luck jigging hammered diamonds and metallic sardines during the day, but are there any tricks or tips for jigging at night with no moon (glow-in-dark jigs, jig shallower, etc.). Of course, I'd love to hear about any proven techniques, but I'm open to theories and wild-a$$ed ideas too. Don't hold back. If you have any thoughts on what will work when there's no moon, post it up. I'll try it and report back after my trip. Hopefully, with pictures. Thanks in advance.

JJ

2. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

I havent noticed any specific trends around the new or full moon other than usually a lot of current. Ive had good and bad trips on both types of moons. Technique? Nothing specific to new moon, but perhaps night to night.

3. JJ19

JJ19 Junior member

Hi Peterk814,

First, thanks for your response. Honestly, I appreciate it. And, I agree. I've done hundreds of tuna trips on the west coast-- even had tuna hit jigs (trolling feathers) while they were just laying in the water while we were fighting and gaffing bait fish. I guess what I'm saying is the moon phase hasn't meant much. The schools were there or they were'nt. But that's west coast fishing, which is a gray light to dusk situation. Now I live on the east coast...which is a 24-hour-fish-till-you're-falling down situation (which I think is great). So, all that said, what should I do during the new moon? Your comment about the current was interesting. It makes me think that maybe I should fish a heavier jig-- say 8 to 10 oz. vs. a 6 oz. jig. Would you agree?

Best,
    JJ

4. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

OH..my mistake.

I think you are going on the viking which means you will troll/bottomfisha ll day and at dusk depending on hwo the bottom fish or trolling was you will set up on the chunk. Usually anchored, the crew wills tart to chum. You can either baitfish or jig. Jigging doesnt require anything fancy, plain 8oz hammered diamond jigs, and yo-yo them at the depths the capt calls out from time to time, or just experiement. Ive never really caught anything deeper than 250 ft as far as tuna. Usually they'll be between 80-200ft. Get some meetered line.

Im a fan of kils small jig theory, ive never gotten bit really on longer jigs, so i stay within the 8oz range of jigs.

Bait fishing usually flat line, or with egg sinkers, the boat will provide bait, and you can bring a small spinning reel to catch squid with which work well.

Having your jigging rod ready to go during the day trolls as when the boat hooks up it will go on the drift until taht fish is landed an you can get quite a few fish jigging on the drift.

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

totally agree with peter - except that on our viking trip, no depths were called...only "we're marking fish". hopefully theyll let you know this time

6. TheSwab

TheSwab Senior Member

Full moons are usually terrible tuna fishing, at least for the night time chunkers. A strange phenomenon occurs around full moons, full moons bring a lot of plankton and therefore bait to the surface. When there is sooooo much bait in the upper portion of the water column (above the thermocline) It makes for fierce competition for hook baits.(why bite a lifeless hook bait, when there are endless schools of squid, macks, and flyers around???)

I have made Many, many trips to the edge, my log books show that on 80% of the trips we made during the full moon, the tuna bites were lackluster. This is not to say we havent had good trips on full moons, but most were not nearly as good as they should have been. It usually takes a bit more finnesse to fill the cooler on full moon bites, live squid on light leader, live spot or baby macks, or a good jigger :) Match the bait with your jig, and if the fish are there, you will probably catch.

Now, for trolling, a full moon is great, usually the trollers experience great tuna and marlin bites just days before and after full moons.

The New moon on the other hand, is one of the BEST moon phases to chunk/jig nightime tuna!

Good luck to ya! If you have any more questions PM me or email me, I would be happy to share info with you :)

7. semipro

semipro Senior Member

Thank you The Swab,it is good information...

8. TheSwab

TheSwab Senior Member

Also, as said earlier, go with the smallest jig you can. Make sure you have a rod that can properly work a lighter jig. Glow in the darks work very well, But I also have had great success on shimano butterflies in "aji" "Anchovie" and "mackeral" colors. Mostly in the 110g-160g sizes

Yellowfin will eat jigs steadily all night long, unlike Bluefins. I dont know the reason why, but it seems they are impulse feeders. If you drop a jig in ones face, you will "own' him :D