Jigging and Popping Tournament in PANAMA

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Minnow, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

OTI, and Panama Sportfishing Lodge are planning to have a Jigging and Popping Tournament. This Tournament will be sponsor by Melton International Tackle

We would like to know how many people might be interested in this tournament.

Tournament is plan for May 18 to 21, that's 4 full day of fishing.

There will be CASH prices, rod and reel, give certificates from Melton Tackle and panama Sportfishing Lodge.
    Catagories are for :
    Largest YFT.
    Largest Cubera Snapper.
    largest Rooster Fish.
    Largest Mahi and Bill fish.

This tournament will be cover by major fishing magazines and possible International TV crews.

PACKAGE FOR ANGLERS ALL INCLUSIVE
    One night stay in Panama City.
    All transfers to and from airports and hotels in Panama City.
    Round trip airfares from Panama City to David.
    Transportation from David to the lodge.
    Breakfast, box lunches and four course gourmet dinner wine & beverages.
    Fishing includes the boat (Brand new 29Ft Stamas Center Console, with twin 4 stroke engines),captain & mate,Shimano gears and tackle, bait, ice and fuel. Lunches, soft drinks and water provided. cold beer .ALCOHOLIC BEVS. INCLUDED
    AWARD NIGHT WITH LIVE ENTERTAIMENT
    ENTRY FEE $$$$ are based on per angler ,CALCUTTA WILL BE AVAIL.

Tournament web site WWW.JIGGINGPOPPING.COM

2. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Light the fires. I've been wanting to fish Panama and love to play the game. Can we get a few more details on package price and entry fees?

Fred

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Fred you better get your chance to fish panama now before prices rise and more people go. Soon it will become a major spot.

4. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Great, I can wait to fish with you again.

Currently there are 10 people showing interest in this tournament.

5. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Wow, TJ! This sounds like a great time. Make it 11 guys that are interested.

6. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Richard, that's great.

15 people have express their interest in this tournament.

We going to have a lots of fun guys.

7. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Team 360TUNA T-shirts??

8. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Tournament t-shirt will be provided to each angler.

360-tuna team t-shirt will be cool, Great idea Dan, thanks.

Now, who going to represent 360tuna?

9. gman

gman Senior Member

TJ what are the costs? I may be interested with two other anglers

10. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Glen,

I don't have final price yet, it will be later this evening or tomorrow before I have the final price.

Currently we have about 26 people have express their interest in this tournament.

11. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

May 19th is my birthday - guess I'll have to give myself a trip to Panama :D TJ, please add me to the list.

Louis

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

think anyone would donate to a "bret's panama trip" charity???? ;)

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I have a couple of stupid questions but they probably should be addressed at some time. I realize this tournament was just put together and details are probably sketchy for both sponsors and contestants. I assume no bait allowed. Jigs and poppers only. Does this include swimbaits?

Cash Prizes? Are these from the entry fee? I gather that each of the four species (YF, cubera, rooster, mahi) will be heaviest fish and the individual that caught it wins the cash for that species. I think billfish could be a problem for a prize. using just jigs and poppers. Sails will attack poppers and swimbaits, but marlin are rather picky though it can happen and probably will happen. Since billfish are an estimate of weight (trust me everybody thinks their fish is huge) this could get complicated. Perhaps 2 points for marlin and 1 point for sailfish regardless of weight would be a way of keeping the billfish prize under control.

Will the boats have teams or is it a individual tournament? Besides the heaviest of each of the four species I would suggest an overall winner for the calcutta. I suggest that each person gets a total weight tally of his heaviest caught of the four species. In other words, you only submit one tuna weight, one rooster weight, one cubera weight and one mahi weight. Your heaviest caught of each species. Add your four fish weights to get your total. I assume all cubera's and roosters and billfish will be released. Each boat should have the same scale on board to avoid conflicts.

Having a separate calcutta on each species might be interesting, but I think the $ amount would be small since most people will buy in the overall champion calcutta.

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

mrbill if you sponsor me all my winnings go to you ;)

15. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

If 20 people go, the odds are one in twenty that you will win. :eek:

There will be some luck involved but over a four day period, talent should play a part in the overall winner. Anybody could win. Fish don't know or care how much you paid for yourself in the calcutta.:)

The beauty of a calcutta is that you might not even own yourself. Somebody might outbid you towards the end of the time period. I've seen people play the odds at calcutta's by buying 33% of the boats thinking they have a one in three chance of winning the pot. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Usually someone out of the blue that nobody knows gets lucky and wins.

16. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

sounds like its gonna be a good time, too bad i have already have two trips in may. it does sound interesting.

bret-btw all that remains f'n rocks!!!!

17. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

haha yes i agree :)

TJ how many is the max amount of people?

18. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Mr.Bill.

Thank you for all your suggestions.
    Cash prices will come from sponsors and from entry fees. There will be a lots of good prices for the winner.

We are in the final planning stage for this tournament, and we will decide if we should do individual tournament or team tournament.

Jigs, popper/stick bait and swim bait are welcome in this tournament.

This is our first tournament, we don't won't everybody to have bad experience so we have decided to have no more than 20 people on this tournament.

19. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Man, that sounds like a fun time... we will try and leave a fish or two for you guys... we will be there two weeks prior.

20. fishyhat

fishyhat Guest

I would like some information about this tournament as well.

Can you put me on the info list
    or will the tournament info be posted on line ?

21. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

More information for this tournament has been posted on our tournament website.

jigging and popping tournament website WWW.JIGGINGPOPPING.COM

22. fishyhat

fishyhat Guest

$3,500 for 4 days of fishing,
    too rich for this oilman right now.

Curious, are the prizes for the individual angler with the biggest fish
    or they team prizes ?
    Is the PSFL gift certificate transferrable to another person by the winner ?

Thank you for posting the information.