Jiggin up them Snowy's

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by calebw, Oct 8, 2009.

1. calebw

calebw Member

Trying to jig of those mysterious snowy grouper off the coast of NC, more specifically MHC. What are your favorite jigs for these volkswagens.

2. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Trying to jig of those mysterious snowy grouper off the coast of NC, more specifically MHC. What are your favorite jigs for the volkswagens.
    Snowy grouper is not picky about types of jigs.
    You just need heavy jigs in 450g - 600g to hold bottom.
    I had good success with OTI Jager or Jumbo, but any jigs work for them.

3. calebw

calebw Member

ksong I know you are not from around here but you seem to fish out of MHC quite often, you wouldn't happen to know of any common wrecks that are known to hold snowy's (out of MHC that is)

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

ksong I know you are not from around here but you seem to fish out of MHC quite often, you wouldn't happen to know of any common wrecks that are known to hold snowy's (out of MHC that is)
    You should contact Ken of the Swell Rider. He fishes out of MHC and he said he knows where Snowy groupers are.
    The wreck we used to catch snow grouper out of Willington is within closed areas now. I am going down to NC next week for AJ jigging and grouper jigging.

5. Swell Rider

Swell Rider Member

Since this fishery doesn't get the commercial pressure it use too as well as most Rec guys down here don't want to fish that deep I've seen a pretty good number of snowys over the last few years..when I first moved to NC and before I bought my boat the first job I had was on a boat that did nothing but fish the deep for snowy's and Silver Snapper..The run out of MHC is around 45nm to start and out of Hatteras alot shorter. You want to start looking in around 60fa of water but don't be afraid to go deep, the biggest obsticle is current and like Kil said finding a jig heavey enough to hold bottom, my Norwiegen Cod jigs worked great this year..Seing that I'll be in the OBX all spring fishing BFT I'll definiatly be running my share of trips to the deep as well...