360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple questions for Jiggin Cod up in Mass. I have a trip up there in April and wanna get setup.

Favorite Jig?
Favorite color tube on the jig?
Stinger/assist hook on the jig?
Favorite teaser above the jig?

Any info appreciated

thanks

·
1,262 Posts
Lots of options....do you want do use butterfly style jigs exclusively? I'd suggest you do not do that, I have found that more big fish are caught with the Norwegian style jigs. I have an assortment from 6-26 oz, but use 12oz if its calm and 16 in deep water/heavy seas. Purple, blue and red teasers are my go to, but have caught fish on nearly every color available.

I typically put a purple or black rubber work (power worm for bass fishing) about 3 feet above the jig. Gets hit OFTEN. The other option which I have been using alot if there are many people on the boat is attaching a tube teaser directly to the split ring on top. This is a cleaner rig and catches alot of fish as well, on the drop, it makes your jig look huge with the teaser flipping around like a tail.

I believe you can now use both of these at the same time....a treble on the jig, teaser on the top of the jig and teaser 3 feet up.

I use small butterfly style jigs in chartreuse for Haddock and Pollock (200g) and larger (400-500g) for Cod and bigger Pollock. Hope that helps a little.

·
3,720 Posts
Funny you should ask,I was just messin' around with my jigs. I jigged for many years,commercially for cod. Here's a few pics of some jigs that I make.After much trial and error we discovered that the white/glow tails outfished others on most days. (when everyone started using them, the fish got used to them and they didn't fish as well. sometimes ,showing them something they haven't seen was just the ticket)Green prism tape also greatly enhanced the performance of the jig.These green jigs with white tails outfished others on many, many occasions though.Also, if you can find them, the "redgill" teaser In the pic were deadly at times. I always hang 1 or 2 over the jig 1 1/2 to 2 feet above.fishing around nets you could lose 6 to 8 jigs in a day. you had to bring along many.

Attachments

·
17 Posts
Couple questions for Jiggin Cod up in Mass. I have a trip up there in April and wanna get setup.

Favorite Jig?
Favorite color tube on the jig?
Stinger/assist hook on the jig?
Favorite teaser above the jig?

Any info appreciated

thanks

Favorite Jig? Plated Lav 12

Favorite color tube on the jig? Black

Stinger/assist hook on the jig? No

Favorite teaser above the jig? Fly

·
1,631 Posts
Here's what I fished last year with great success:

Favorite Jig? Shimano flat-sided butterfly, 12oz

Favorite color on the jig? Rainbow or Gold/Red

Stinger/assist hook on the jig? Yes

Favorite teaser above the jig? Double pink shrimp, or 1 pink 1 white/glow

I brought up MANY fish with this rig last year, and the rainbow jig shows it. It was all too often I had double or triple hookups.

·
1,631 Posts
I should have also mentioned, if you're specifically targeting cod, don't forget to throw a few cod and haddock double hook rigs in your bag with some lead weight, 16oz. There are days here when the cod just won't touch a jig but will be all over the bait. Even more so when trying to catch haddock.

·
235 Posts
Norwegian 17.5 oz with 1 teaser (by law) worm or fly on a dropper loop 18" above.
Old school but proven.

·
3,720 Posts
I should have also mentioned, if you're specifically targeting cod, don't forget to throw a few cod and haddock double hook rigs in your bag with some lead weight, 16oz. There are days here when the cod just won't touch a jig but will be all over the bait. Even more so when trying to catch haddock.

X2
Absolutely true. forgot to mention that

·
1,631 Posts
X2
Absolutely true. forgot to mention that

Been there, done that, too many times. :D

Bait fishing is soooooooo boring. Especially when you're bringing in the doggies.

·
17 Posts
I like a 14-17oz jig if the wind and current allow.

Sometimes the Norwegins work better than Butterfly but I use both.
I rarely use a teaser unless i see alot coming over the rail on them. Too many small fish to haul up from the bottom.
Ill usually tip the jig with clam or squid if there arent too many dogs around which is rare.

In shallow water a prisim jig works nice

·
1,211 Posts
FD.....I live in Mass as well!!! The best jig by far for cod in this area is the LavJig...I use the 16oz version. :)

·
1,631 Posts
Thanks Guys.

Any luck using large 12-16oz diamond style jigs? Plain or hammered?

yep, those work. When the bite is on, they eat anything.

·
17 Posts
Norwegian 17.5 oz with 1 teaser (by law) worm or fly on a dropper loop 18" above.
Old school but proven.

The two hook limit has been removed....

4.3.3.2 Removal of the Limit on Hooks
Option 2 from the draft amendment is adopted. Recreational (including party/charter) fishermen
are not limited to two hooks per line. Fishermen continue to be limited to one line per angler.

Also, cod season opens April 15th this year, haddock size reduced to 18", and wolffish can not be kept.

4.3.3.3.1 GOM Cod
Option 3: Landing of GOM cod is prohibited from November 1 through April 15. There is no
change to the minimum size or bag limit.

4.3.3.3.2 Haddock
The minimum size for both GOM and GB haddock is reduced to 18 inches.

4.3.5 Prohibition on Retention of Atlantic Wolffish
This action adopts Option 2 from the draft amendment. Atlantic wolffish cannot be retained,
landed, or sold by any vessel, including all commercial vessels and all recreational (private, party,
and charter) vessels. All Atlantic wolffish caught by any gear must be returned to the sea
unharmed as quickly as possible.

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FD.....I live in Mass as well!!! The best jig by far for cod in this area is the LavJig...I use the 16oz version. :)

How do I get the Lavjigs? I went to the website and sent an email to them but it came back undeliverable. You know a place that sells them via the internet?

G

·
The two hook limit has been removed....

4.3.3.2 Removal of the Limit on Hooks
Option 2 from the draft amendment is adopted. Recreational (including party/charter) fishermen
are not limited to two hooks per line. Fishermen continue to be limited to one line per angler.

Also, cod season opens April 15th this year, haddock size reduced to 18", and wolffish can not be kept.

4.3.3.3.1 GOM Cod
Option 3: Landing of GOM cod is prohibited from November 1 through April 15. There is no
change to the minimum size or bag limit.

4.3.3.3.2 Haddock
The minimum size for both GOM and GB haddock is reduced to 18 inches.

4.3.5 Prohibition on Retention of Atlantic Wolffish
This action adopts Option 2 from the draft amendment. Atlantic wolffish cannot be retained,
landed, or sold by any vessel, including all commercial vessels and all recreational (private, party,
and charter) vessels. All Atlantic wolffish caught by any gear must be returned to the sea
unharmed as quickly as possible.

thanks for the update, i hadnt been paying attention so good to know

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the update, i hadnt been paying attention so good to know

Good to know. I'll be visiting Kil's joint soon anyway.

·
45 Posts
The Lav-jigs are universal...use them over here (The Netherlands) too...
Other bottom weighted jigs with a darting action will do very well also!

To keep you from parking lots of them down there (when wreckfishing) try to get info from the captain if he knows if the wreck is "fairly clean from comm. nets" or take a glimpse on his depthsounder (if allowed).
If there's a fat chance of getting tangled a lot, remove the big trebble and fit a dressed assist...
Kept me from loosing lots of metal!
Also when the first Cods caught belong to the juvenile class, keep jigging above or left/right of the wreck...
Big Cod have no problem fighting stronger currents at these spots...and they'll go for your jig/lure anyway if they want, even higher in the watercolumn then anybody might expect!
Targeting Big Cod makes you give up catching numbers...

The B2-Squids 3" to 5" (large single hook) attached to the bottom of a jig can create real havoc too!
Diamond jigs used inside a large squid body do the same job also (there's a former thread here at 360).

A single (swivel-lined) hook, 2' above a sleek sinker, dressed with a 2" Berkley SW Gulp Crab (eventually with a rattle bead placed 2" to 3" above it) can outfish all others...just dragging the sinker over the bottom is like ringing the dinner-bell.

To my experience when the catch-rate drops after an 1st/2nd drift use what others don't...:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts