jig to leader?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by baldurs390, Mar 9, 2009.

1. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

should i tie the jig right to the top shot? or should i use a bb snap swivel for easy jig changing? if i fish with the snap does it effect the jigging?

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

should i tie the jig right to the top shot? or should i use a bb snap swivel for easy jig changing? if i fish with the snap does it effect the jigging?

Most use a solid ring tied to the leader with the assist hook attached to the solid ring. Then a split ring attaches the jig to the solid ring.

The BB snap swivel won't affect the jigs action, but I wouldn't put much trust in the snap holding.

d-a

3. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

even if you fished like a 250+lb bb snap
    ?

4. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

I usually tie to the solid ring also.
    no snap

5. rhale

rhale Senior Member

even if you fished like a 250+lb bb snap
    ?

The problem with the snap swivel to jig is a chance of the fish opening it on the strike or durring the fight. Once open it looses most of its strength and will straighten.
    I know it sounds convenient to switch out jigs without having to retie knots but I would not use it.

6. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

You'll be able to use your split ring pliers to swap jigs in a few seconds, no problem...

Plus, aren't heavy ball bearing snaps like $3-4 each? When it's for rigging away from the lure that's OK... But right at the jig could get expensive! (Hoos, sharks, blues, kings, etc...;))

Just use Round Profile solid rings like ones from APS or #8-9 Sure Catch on eBay and a good quality 150-250lb split ring.

If you want to use a swivel... just use good quality 2/0 non-BB solid ring swivel in place of solid ring. They are heavy enough wire to tie heavy leader without fear of cutting through, and the loops are big enough for assist and split ring on other side. Any brand should be Way more than strong enough. (Spro Power 2/0 are 550lb rated and still only ~$.50/ea.)

Jason

7. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

8. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I usually tie to the solid ring also.
    no snap

Here's a 130 lb. swivel, fish lost at the boat with my hand on the leader. I'm a split/solid ring fan now.

Attached Files:

9. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Lesson of the day, don't be lazy. Get used to tying knots! :D

10. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

just leave the solid ring/split ring on the line and change the jig itself out. easiest way and only takes a few seconds.