Jig Rigging for CC BFT

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Grandpa21, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Grandpa21

Grandpa21 Senior Member

Got a trip with Dom in Oct so I'm trying to get my tackle right. Been making my own assist hooks. this is the current basic setup I'm planning on going with (conditions dependent).

Hook: Owner SJ-41's and Heavy Duty Gami Live Bait hooks (11/0 pictured),
    Swivel: Sea Buoy Pro Grade Rigging Swivel 300# w/ built in welded ring ;)
    Cord: 400# Served Kevlar
    Split Ring: Owner 250# #11
    Jig: 200g Pink OTI Jager

I going the Jager route due to peoples recommendation to use a shorter fatter jig as opposed to a longer more slender one.

[​IMG]

Basically just looking for any constructive criticism or recommendations on ways to improve this setup. Shrink wrap the kevlar maybe? From what I've read, the further into the season the game goes to less topwater and more subsurface jigging for the BFT's in Cape Cod? Or is it more of a crap shoot?

2. gman

gman Senior Member

Normally October and November were insane topwater feeds, but your right the jig bite does get better thats why you should always have a jigging set up on hand. Your set up looks good. Personally I wouldnt add shrink tube, as Im not a big fan of it. You could down size the swivel if you wanted to but to be honest it looks very solid

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

There are many different ways of rigging.
    I try to make it as simple as possible as I believe one more thing adds one more trouble.
    I tie leader line directly to the eye of a jig without using any swivel or ring.
    I found twisting problem without using a swivel is tolerable when jigging.

While I prefer big assist hooks for tuna (9/0 or 11/0), I like to use terminal tackles as smalll as possible. I use Owner Split rings in size #8, 9 and 10.

Some like long jigs for tuna, but my preference is 6" - 8" long with weights not over 10 oz.

As Gman said, top water action is in peak as well as jigging action in Sept and Oct there.

[​IMG]

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Here is the only thing i would change.

[​IMG]

d-a

5. gman

gman Senior Member

this is exactly how I rig for jigging now

[​IMG]

6. Grandpa21

Grandpa21 Senior Member

Thanks for the input guys, and thanks for posting the pics, it's nice to see how some BFT jiggin' vets are rigged up.

d-a, thanks for pointing that out...I knew better than to rig that backward, serious brain fart :eek:

I will be taking both a jigging and topwater setup on the trip (as I only own two worthy of taking). I'm hoping that 8k Stellas w/ 10k spools & PE6 will have enough line capacity for a novice in the #150-200 class BFT's if lucky enough to come tight to one.

Anyone ever experimented with the back to back zip-tied belly hooks before for swimbaits and/or poppers?
    [​IMG]
    I like the idea of using all singles or at least a single on the tail when planning on releasing a fish. This method seems to also improve action slightly, and theoretically may result in more corner mouth hook sets, but not having successfully tried it myself I'm still a bit skeptical.

7. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

Northeast tuna (and most fish species for that matter) do not seem to like the long jigs, at least when used for vertical style jigging. I have used them as sand eel type casting lures to some degree of success.Some cod and pollock will take them, but the tuna really seem to prefer the smaller ones, as small as 80g sometimes. I wouldn't bother even bringing the long jigs myself. The other thing is that the hook point should be away from the jig body. Also, many of the manufacturers advrtise that they whould be used with 2 assist hooks....I only do so on the very heavy butterfly jigs, otherwise I believe the single assist hook setup is best.

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I am not saying bucktailed hooks don't work for tuna, but we rarely use them.

9. bdfishguy

bdfishguy Member

Gman
    With the way you are rigging your jigs, does the asssist hook (cord) interfere with the rotation of the swivel? Seems nice and simple. Gonna give it a try next time out.
    Ben

10. gman

gman Senior Member

Gman
    With the way you are rigging your jigs, does the asssist hook (cord) interfere with the rotation of the swivel? Seems nice and simple. Gonna give it a try next time out.
    Ben

Thanks Ben, as far as I can see the rotation hasnt affected it at all. I have tested the assist cord on both top and bottom of the swivel and it has made zero difference in catch rate. Ive caught this season 4 Tuna on the top and 3 on the bottom. with zero pulled hooks

I originally had it on the bottom of swivel, but noticed that the split rings edges wore the assist cords somewhat as it rotated so I switched it to the top and havent dropped a fish yet

I dont think it makes a difference and if it does it hasnt affected my jigging landing percentage yet

11. bdfishguy

bdfishguy Member

Glen
    What make and Lb test are the swivels you are using?

12. gman

gman Senior Member

13. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

Those are great swivels, while I agree the ball bearing isn't NECESSARY, why the heck not use them.

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

dan are your swivel/split ring swivels available? those are some hefty swivels!