Jig makers knowledge needed.

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by SSFIREMSN, Sep 17, 2008.

1. SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN Senior Member

:confused: I have a few butterfly jigs that have seen better days after teeth and bites. I am planning on repainting them and want to know what is the best paint and the best way to do it. I have never done it before so I do not have a clue. Thanks Steve:confused:

2. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

they work better all chewed up keep them that way

3. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Just use new lure making prismatic/lazer tape right over the old finish... Doesn't need to be perfect but is a quick way to add back some flash!

4. SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN Senior Member

THere is not any color there that is why I wanted to repaint them. What kind of paint do people use to paint lures?

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

THere is not any color there that is why I wanted to repaint them. What kind of paint do people use to paint lures?
    You think there is no color, but fish think differently. :)

6. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I have used powder paint for small custom freshwater jigheads. (back when shaky heads weren't commercially available ;)) But I've always seen it sold in very small quantities. Might want to Google it... All you do is heat lure and dip it, no mess. Might be able to heat jig and sprinkle it on long jigs instead of dip??

7. SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN Senior Member

I guess I am headed to hobby lobby. Thanks Guys for all the help. Steve

8. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Send down your jig and re prime it, find heat apply holographic foil and apply to your jig, lightly paint the area that you want to paint. Spray few layers of epoxy to finish up your jig. Wait until the epoxy dry in between layers.

9. Pescador

Pescador Member

Use nail varnish, all the colours and many 'goth' glitters to finish off with.
    Just go to the shop with your lady friend....unless???

Personally, on any new jig always scrape some paint OFF.

10. mark stotesbury

mark stotesbury Senior Member

we powder coat all our spinners/jigs with a base coat being white then use a epoxy 2 part paint in dayglo colours to custom paint them,then seal them with a clear epoxy. other option is to hard chrome them then paint.gives the lure a metalic finish very nice just not very hardy .just done a batch of hookers for a guy in fusillier colours came out very nice .the black sanme jigs look great .black powdercoat and then sprayed over with a clear epoxy.the nice thing about powder coating is the base coat can be any colour you choose its cheap, fast with in 24 hours and durable
    cheers mark