360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

1,021 Posts
IME, BFT like longer, thin FAST moving jigs. For BFT, I have had best success with green/silver and blue/silver.

I have only hooked one nice YFT with a jig. I was slowly jigging a 14 ounce knife jig when I hooked it. It was about a 70 pound YFT lost at the boat.

I have hooked plenty of snapper with the brighter colored "turkey slider" 6-9 ounce River2Sea jigs.

I have landed plenty of AJs and a grouper on the large 14ounce thin (not knife) River2Sea jigs. BFT will slam these as well.

My biggest surprise catch on a jig was about a 180 pound class shark behind a shrimp boat caught with a crippled herring.

Vary your speed, presentation, and jigs until you find out what jig and presentation the fish want. When you discover the correct presentation and jig, the fish will start slamming you on every drop.

Success with jigs dramaticly decreases if you use wire. Stick to mono or flouro. I prefer being rigged with 80-100 pound solid spectra and a wind on of 60-80 pounds.

Good luck. I love jigging. Set the hook HARD when you get hit or feel the line go slack.

1,021 Posts
What about attaching the jig to a 2 pound weigth (homemade cement tyrpe in a can) and drop it down. You can then break the weight off when you are down deep with one very hard pull. Will this work????

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.