360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

3,586 Posts
Before the new style of jigs became popular the Tady 4/0 in blue&white or glow was the iron of choice for yft. Now Roy's in Corpus has quit carrying them.

He has a boat load of the OTI jigs. I stopped by Friday afternoon and took this pic. All the jigs on the bottom shelf are OTI. Around 12 feet long and triple stacked. Roy's is a great place. Once again, it's impossible not to walk in and not buy anything. I made the shelf a little lighter along with more tackle I don't need. We fisherman are real suckers when entering a tackle store.

Attachments

3,586 Posts
September is the worst of all scenarios. You get up early, head around 20-40 miles offshore to find a shrimper culling his last nightly catch. The first thing that comes to the surface is hundreds of bonito's. Then come the blackfins. If you want blackfins, it is a battle to keep your jig or bait from the bonito's.

It's virtually impossible to send a bait or jig down deep to the awaiting YF's. With all those footballs darting around you get very frustrated. The only thing to do is find another shrimp boat on the horizon and start the whole process over again. Normally, you get the same results until mid day when things settle down. That's when you actually have a chance at the YF's that may or may not be present.

Fighting away bonito's is a lot more frustrating than fighting away blackfins.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.