360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new jigs from Mad Marlin (great guy to deal with), so it got me thinking, and I'd like to pose this question to the forum: What is the preferred method of attaching the line to the jig?

Some people say to tie fluorocarbon leader directly to the jig,
Others say to tie the leader to a split ring and to attach and remove jigs by removing the split ring with split ring pliers,
Others say that it really doesn't matter, even to the point of using a wire leader--while some say this won't work due to the keen eyesight of yft, but is OK for blackfin,
And others say 'What leader'?

Since many others on this board have caught a lot more yft that I, I would certainly appreciate the feedback.

·
5,457 Posts
I just picked up my new jigs from Mad Marlin (great guy to deal with), so it got me thinking, and I'd like to pose this question to the forum: What is the preferred method of attaching the line to the jig?

Some people say to tie fluorocarbon leader directly to the jig,
Others say to tie the leader to a split ring and to attach and remove jigs by removing the split ring with split ring pliers,
Others say that it really doesn't matter, even to the point of using a wire leader--while some say this won't work due to the keen eyesight of yft, but is OK for blackfin,
And others say 'What leader'?

Since many others on this board have caught a lot more yft that I, I would certainly appreciate the feedback.

I always at a minimum tie my leader (flouro for daytime, mono for night time) to a solid ring. I then connect the jig to the solid ring with an appropriate sized split ring. The assist hook is always connected to the solid ring. Some will add a swivel in the place of the solid ring

d-a

·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always at a minimum tie my leader (flouro for daytime, mono for night time) to a solid ring. I then connect the jig to the solid ring with an appropriate sized split ring. The assist hook is always connected to the solid ring. Some will add a swivel in the place of the solid ring

d-a

d-a:

What's the rationale of connecting the stinger hooks to the solid ring vs. the split ring or even the wire loop of the jig itself? Also, if a swivel is employed, would you connect the stingers to the swivel or the split ring (which is connected to the jig)? It would seem to me that if the stingers were connected to the swivel that that would place them too far above the jig; some swivels can get rather long.....

·
724 Posts
Tie them to the bottom eye of the swivel. The same eye the split ring will be attached to. The purpoe of attaching the jig to the split ring is to allow the weight of the jig to swing free as you fight the fish. This makes it harder for the fish to throw the hook.

·
1,541 Posts
I generally like to keep hardware at a minimum when i fish with jigs.

10-15ft flouro leader usually 80lb tied to a jig eye directly via uni or improved trilene knot does the trick.

·
223 Posts
You definitely do not want to tie to the split ring. Opening the ring will weaken your line. As Dave stated, tying to a solid ring/swivel (bottom ring of the swivel) puts the force of your fight directly to the fish, not the jig.

·
2,924 Posts
The fish really don't mind hardware that much I would suggest tying to a swivel which is connected to a split ring. I've never had an issue hooking up with that combo

·
1,386 Posts
The fish really don't mind hardware that much I would suggest tying to a swivel which is connected to a split ring. I've never had an issue hooking up with that combo

The swivel/split ring combo makes good sense for a couple of reasons. First, when you're fighting a fish, the swivel/ring combo can move as the fish moves so that your terminal tackle knot doesn't have to move on the eye of the jig. This stops the knot from chafing (I saw two good fish lost to this during the summer). Second, any line twist which develops, for any reason, can work it's way out through the swivel.

·
5,457 Posts
d-a:

What's the rationale of connecting the stinger hooks to the solid ring vs. the split ring or even the wire loop of the jig itself? Also, if a swivel is employed, would you connect the stingers to the swivel or the split ring (which is connected to the jig)? It would seem to me that if the stingers were connected to the swivel that that would place them too far above the jig; some swivels can get rather long.....

The assist hook should never be attached to the split ring. You don't want to chance the split ring opening up and letting the assist hook off with the fish. If using a swivel, you can connect to either end, but I always connect to the same end the leader is attached to.

There have been times Ive needed extra bite protection so Ive used the swivel method and then there are times I need extra stealth and i forgo the swivel and down size everything. The fish will let you know.

d-a

·
2,924 Posts
The assist hook should never be attached to the split ring. You don't want to chance the split ring opening up and letting the assist hook off with the fish. If using a swivel, you can connect to either end, but I always connect to the same end the leader is attached to.

There have been times Ive needed extra bite protection so Ive used the swivel method and then there are times I need extra stealth and i forgo the swivel and down size everything. The fish will let you know.

d-a

Plus you wouldnt want the edges of the split ring damaging the assist cord

·
5,457 Posts
TGPF,

Try these solid ring & grommets; 80-100lb flouro with a crimp looped around grommet and assist onto solid ring.

I use these with my 200lb leader. I also crimp my 200lb leader with the large Aluminum crimps. Putting the assist hook on them can be troublesome with there smaller size solid ring.

d-a

·
55 Posts

Gman,
how in the world did you get this swivel on this solid ring? Did you buy it that way or something... I sure like the idea of it tho..

Thanks,

Hog

G

·
you buy them that way. i believe its a fisherman swivel but glenn or someone will confirm. regular swivel with the assist cord attached to the top of the swivel will work in a similar manner with 'normal' swivels.

·
2,924 Posts
Gman,
how in the world did you get this swivel on this solid ring? Did you buy it that way or something... I sure like the idea of it tho..

Thanks,

Hog

Bret is right but I no longer use them I just use normal swivels now easier to find

·
5,457 Posts
Hey Jimmy - well its nice to be back close to the family, but sometimes when you're out fishing in 20 degree weather for 8lb tog, you begin to miss popping for tuna in december during 60 degree weather :p

View attachment 10200

I see it didn't take you long to go back to bait fishing. LOL

d-a

·
5,457 Posts
if only tog hit jigs :( hahaha

Yea there like our sheepshead, they will only hit a jig with bait on it.

d-a

1 - 20 of 22 Posts