Jig "cocoons"

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by fuelish1, Sep 7, 2009.

1. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

The only ones I've seen are the shimano ones, in a 6 pack...I dont need 6, and I aint paying all that money for ones I dont need...does anyone sell them in like a two pack or singles? Thanks!

2. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

wow...I've found them for ALOT cheaper online then when I just saw them in a store! :eek:

did a google search and aint found any other kinds yet anyways!

3. Panga Man

Panga Man Junior member

Ive been thinking about taking some old neoprene koozies and cutting them in strips and sewing velcro to them. I dont see why it wont work.

4. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

Ive been thinking about taking some old neoprene koozies and cutting them in strips and sewing velcro to them. I dont see why it wont work.

not a bad idea, I have a bunch of those dumb things too....wonder if the wife would freak out to see me using her sewing machine on some koozies?:eek:

5. Courtland

Courtland Site Sponsor

I keep a few zip ties in my bag and use those when going from spot to spot. I just lower the jig to lay along the foregrip and snip it off when needed. Otherwise the jigs stay in a bag or bucket.

6. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

I keep a few zip ties in my bag and use those when going from spot to spot. I just lower the jig to lay along the foregrip and snip it off when needed. Otherwise the jigs stay in a bag or bucket.

not a bad idea either! I have access to lots of zipties too!

7. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

Academy has them in packs of 2 for like $3 much better that the shimanos, this ones are something called H2O

Man....that's even better than trying to destroy my wifes sewing machine with a koozie and some velcro! THANKS for the 411 :cool:

8. egluck

egluck Senior Member

Angler's Pro Shop sells a single Zenaq jig "cocoon" as you say, and it comes with two rod straps which one can never have enough of. Not sure if they have them in stock but its a good buy.

9. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

I have lost 3 out of the six so for 15 bucks its nice to have a few extra.

10. kraken33

kraken33 Senior Member

Where is the best place (online) to get them? Lots of places sell the shimano version but they are all about $20 for the 5 pack. Any place do any better than that on price?

11. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I have lost 3 out of the six so for 15 bucks its nice to have a few extra.

Exactly. And if you use a color (like RED) that somebody else on board really, really likes... they will magically disappear VERY quickly! :D

I'd buy the Shimano Cocoons... And here's the rest of my fool-proof plan...

When you buy your cocoons, get up to 5 of your regular fishing buds to get a pack too. Collect them all over a frosty beverage of your choice, then divvy them all back out by color. So one guy will have 6 x BLUE cocoons, (A.K.A. Mr. BLUE) another guy will have 6 x BLACK, etc... (And yes, if you end up with 6 people, just like the movie, somebody will have to be Mr. PINK. So put on your big boy pants and just get over it.;) )

The benefits of my preemptive cocoon swap plan (PRECOSP) are numerous! But I'll just list a few...
    1) Since everbody's favorite color IS their color, they won't have to swipe yours! (Did I just say that? I mean they won't magically disappear!;))
    2) Everybody immediately knows which cocoon is his when stuff is lying all over the boat and you're trying to disembark after 3 sleep-deprived days of fishing.
    3) Everybody knows which rod to grab when you have 18 gazillion on board, they all look similar, and it's time to drop. I could go on and on but won't...

(I guess you could scrap PRECOSP and just write your name in permanent marker on your cocoons. But you'd lose the whole mono color effect and might have to call out your buddies to inspect the cocoons in their possesion!:D)

Look, I can understand certain cost saving efforts... Like finding good split-ring pliers that are less than $140.

But this is $20 we're talking about, and you'll rarely (if ever) have to buy them again. So get 'em and use 'em. Or use the zip ties - I actually like that one! Or just leave a little more slack when you wind up and wedge your jig into the rod holder with the eva grip when moving between spots.:)

Just sayin... This can be an expensive hobby... So I'd save the extra energy, research time, cut-up koozies, broken sewing machines, subsequent beat downs from your Wife, etc... for something more worthy. :)

As a matter of fact... Before anybody cuts up those neoprene koozies, (I'm talkin about the foldable, thin, real neoprene ones. NOT the thick a$$ foam 1990's era versions, and NOT the cheap a$$ thin open-cell foam ones that fall apart.) pm me and maybe we can work a trade. :)

Jason

12. kraken33

kraken33 Senior Member

yeah, it is only 20 bucks. I might as well just buy some and quit wasting my time bargain hunting.