360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm psyched to finally be posting up a report about this. For the last year I've made it a goal to catch a jewfish on a spinning reel and a jigging rod. In the spring I hooked up to one but pulled the hook, and I've been thinking about that minute ever since.

Yesterday I got another shot, and while we didn't come across any behemoths...you know, the ones that eat 4' sharks (ask Pepe about that story sometime) :eek:...I did get a chance to put a bend in a rod and do battle with some 80ish pounders.

I went out with Pepe (pepescharters.com) and brought along Diego (pescandoenloscayos.net) who wanted to videotape the ****** loco who wanted to target jewfish with a spinner for his spanish tv and internet show.

With a 10 knot northerly breeze we cruised into the gulf about 20 miles and anchored up current of some structure that lit up like a christmas tree when we drove over it. With chum in the water the wait began, and it didn't take long for the first little guy to come calling.

BTW, at this point I should tell you that I was also trying a prototype Synit 550 BFT rod. I figured, if you really want to see what a rod can do, try it out on the angriest, meanest fish you can think of. With stories of jewfish that attack scuba divers in my head, I knew that this would be a great way to pop the cherry.

So back to the little guy. The first fish that couldn't resist was a little one that took the bait and tried to run back to the structure...I think he was a little shocked when he couldn't make any headway- see in the picture, his jaw dropped he's so surprised:D. He was to the surface in probably a minute or two.

Now that the cherry was popped it was time to go after some bigger ones. We slapped a big bait on and the wait began. Again, it didn't take long and I was tight.

A few minutes later and his bigger brother came on up to say hello.

Look at the size of the pec fin- it's as big as my head:eek:

After we released him and got set up again, another one of roughly the same size came calling. A paparazzi moment and he was off to wreak more havoc on the reef.

So, I learned a couple of things on this trip- first, targeting Jewfish on spinners is absolutely do able. Second, the Synit prototype rod is sick and I really need to get it bent on some enormous fish to see what it can do. Third, the gill rakers on these fish are shaaaaaaaarp :D

Diego will be editing the footage and putting it up on Youtube in the coming weeks, and I'm looking forward to seeing how that came out.

The next goal for me will be one of these things, on a spinner, at over 200 pounds...let the games begin:cool:

Shoe

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Very nice Dan the Man! Thanks for the great report! Those Synit looks like a beast!!! I will get my chance on the 28th...on AJs...

·
1,211 Posts
Great Job Dan!!!!! Hope you hook up to a tank next time...let me know if you need some muscle to join you (old muscle).

G

·
great shots and a nice goal to try and achieve. as long as you can chum the bigger fish out of its lair you will have a good chance....rick

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Great Job Dan!!!!! Hope you hook up to a tank next time...let me know if you need some muscle to join you (old muscle).

HUGE MUSCLE!!! :D :D

·
2,924 Posts
Congrats shoe on a great trip you made it look too easy hopefully we will get some 300 pounders one day. Looks like you had ideal conditions. Im glad you liked the rod I have been working on with Synit. Tons of balls with forgiveness.

Im also glad Master Andy was able to build you one from a blank so fast. Great trip another one to add to the list of accomplishments you have.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Congrats shoe on a great trip you made it look too easy hopefully we will get some 300 pounders one day. Looks like you had ideal conditions. Im glad you liked the rod I have been working on with Synit. Tons of balls with forgiveness.

Im also glad Master Andy was able to build you one from a blank so fast. Great trip another one to add to the list of accomplishments you have.

Mr. Andy definitely did a great job as usual on that rod or any other rod. I cant wait til my turn next weekend..

·
659 Posts
damn what a beautiful fish, i would love to get one of those
Just head down Florida way:D They are thick down south, gulf side in particular!

·
796 Posts
Dan The Man!!!! Way to represent the Jig Strong Crew. Glad to see your dream come true :D :D :D :D

Glenn wheres my sample Punk!! So much for taking care of all the Family! haha

·
2,924 Posts
Glenn wheres my sample Punk!! So much for taking care of all the Family! haha

"la famiglia prima e per sempre" bro gotcha covered

·
528 Posts
Thats a great catch man! I bagged a 180# (est.) Goliath this past spring in the gulf. Got mine on a big Accurate, spooled 130# braid, on a stand up rod. Those bad boys can pull! Quite an accomplishment on spin!!!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts