JerseyBrian, are you ready ?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Sep 21, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I can not promise you catch a bluefin, but it looks good as there are many bluefin in 100 - 250 lbs range on NW Corner of Stellwagen Bank, MA now where we are going to fish on 09/24-26.
    I am going to test Jigging Master Power Spell 350g/500g as well as St Croix 4M76XGH custom rod for them.

Wednesday 09/24
    Morning
    Light and variable winds with smooth seas. Small short period wind waves.
    Winds: SSW 2 to 3 knots
    Seas: ESE 3 feet at 7 sec.
    Afternoon
    Light and variable winds with smooth seas. Small short period wind waves.
    Winds: S 5 to 7 knots
    Seas: ESE 3 feet at 8 sec.
    Thursday 9/25
    Morning
    Light winds with a slight chop. Small short period wind waves.
    Winds: SSE 7 to 9 knots
    Seas: ESE 2 feet at 9 sec.
    Afternoon
    Winds: SSE 8 to 11 knots
    Seas: ESE 2 feet at 9 sec.
    Friday 9/26
    Morning
    Winds: ESE 9 to 12 knots
    Seas: ESE 4 feet at 9 sec.
    Afternoon
    Winds: ESE 8 to 11 knots
    Seas: ESE 4 feet at 9 sec

2. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

I love how you leave it to me to find this thread Kil :p No PM or phone call... you just know I'll find it sooner or later, huh? :D

Kil - Don't worry about garauntees or promises. That's why it's called fishing :) The mere fact that I'll be fishing with you is enough for me. I've had my fair share of skunked days and I still have a blast being out on the water. I'm strange like that lol.

So we are going fishing on ONE of those days, correct? Not that I would turn down a three day Jig-A-Thon with you ofcourse ;)

Are you going to bring a casting rod? All of my gear is ready and waiting for you to tell me to drive back up to Jersey. I'm PUMPED!

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I love how you leave it to me to find this thread Kil :p No PM or phone call... you just know I'll find it sooner or later, huh? :D

See how long it takes you respond. :) I know where I can get you. :)
    Yes, we plan to fish one of three days, but it is better to leave three days open as Capt might ask us to stay if fishing is so good. :)
    Bring one popping rod just in case. If you don't have, you can use mine.

4. JerseyBrian

See how long it takes you respond. :) I know where I can get you. :)
    Yes, we plan to fish one of three days, but it is better to leave three days open as Capt might ask us to stay if fishing is so good. :)
    Bring one popping rod just in case. If you don't have, you can use mine.
    Haha. Yea, that didn't take too long. :D I've already taken off all 3 days so we are good on my end. I have a OTI 7'6" 50lb popping rod, but it might not be adequate for 150-200lbs BFT :eek: :eek: If you don't have a spare casting rod, I can ask Glenn if I can borrow his Zenaq casting rod. :D

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Haha. Yea, that didn't take too long. :D I've already taken off all 3 days so we are good on my end. I have a OTI 7'6" 50lb popping rod, but it might not be adequate for 150-200lbs BFT :eek: :eek: If you don't have a spare casting rod, I can ask Glenn if I can borrow his Zenaq casting rod. :D
    The chance of catching bluefin is very slim as there are not much surface activities around NW corner. Don't borrow any rod from Glenn. If you break it, you are in trouble as his expensive Japanese rods don't have warranty. :)

6. JerseyBrian

Don't borrow any rod from Glenn. If you break it, you are in trouble as his expensive Japanese rods don't have warranty. :)
    HAHAHAHA Very true about Glenn's rods ;)
    The chance of catching bluefin is very slim as there are not much surface activities around NW corner.

Got it Kil. I'd rather concentrate on jigging anyway since it seems to be more challenging to land a tuna on a jig and "different" than jigging for AJs. This is my first crack at BIG FISH (and BFT) so I'll be learning as much as I will be fishing! Thanks for giving me the opportunity Kil.
    -Brian

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Good luck guys

8. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

haha need an extra person kil? i have all three days open too!

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

haha need an extra person kil? i have all three days open too!
    I love to fish with you, Peter, but I was invited and they ask me to bring another fisherman as they think it is too far for me to drive alone. :)
    You might join me on another trip in Stellwagen Bank as my friend has a private boat there and we share expenses.

10. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

haha unfortunately kil this is my last week of freedom...i start my new career on the following monday and i know many companies frown upon taking a vacation day within the first 3-6 months of employment. Unless you go on a weekend of course =)

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Weather deteriorates in time. :(
    It is really bad from south of Cape Cod to NC. I was determined to drive 600 miles to NC for AJ or grouper jigging with Brian if weather is bad in north, but it seems nowhere to go. I even called a cod boat in Maine as weather is decent there tomorrow, but they are booked completely.
    I called TJ whether he has any plan to go offshore in Texas this weekend, and he said he couldn't go as there is no electricity at marinas in Freeport, TX. If canyon tuna fishing on the East Coast doesn't pick up soon, I might go to Puerto Vallarta next week to catch some tuna. Big cow started to bite in Puerto Vallarta recently.

12. JerseyBrian

You can't beat mother nature :( Sucks, but I hope we can fish together someday. Maybe I'll find a 130+lbs AJ spot in St. Kitts and you can come visit :p

Are you going to be around this weekend? If not, I'll keep my rental car reservation and drive up to meet you either tonight or tomorrow sometime...

let me know

Brian

13. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

I'm considering the Helen H or the Doris May up in your neck of the woods for an overnight tuna trip what's your recommendation?

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I'm considering the Helen H or the Doris May up in your neck of the woods for an overnight tuna trip what's your recommendation?

If you want to go to the Helen H, wait until mid-December. The prime time is from mid-December to mid January. They are not big, but you can enjoy fast action on jigs.
    The Doris Mae is my favorite tuna boat, but I can not recommend any overnight tuna fishing now as this year is the worst canyon tuna fishing I can remember if bites don't pick up soon.
    Here is a report by my friend Dennis on the Jamaica who is regarded as a premier tuna fisherman on party boats.

Angelo and I fished on the BigJamaica this pass weekend. For all of our efforts and others not 1 tuna was caught on the whole boat. One fellow did hookup with a LfT as soon as Howard started the winch to pull the anchors to go Pot jumping. The fish was loss soon after, it snapped his 30# fluro leader......
    I was doing my normal jigging for Mahi and whatever else will bite when I hookup and was reeling my Mahi to the boat, I looked down along with the mate to see the LARGEST MAHI of my Life or LIFETIME!!! It had to be every bit of 5 feet. He was there one moment and then gone the next. Howard also was a witness to it........ The Hudson is Definitely screwed up! It has all the Mahi you want and not 1 tuna....Dennis

15. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Sorry, I thought you are going on the Helen H for cod.
    The HH has had better tuna fishing than any other boats on the East Coast. They caught many longfin, but mostly by trolling. They had some small yellowfin tuna at night.

16. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Weather deteriorates in time. :(
    It is really bad from south of Cape Cod to NC. I was determined to drive 600 miles to NC for AJ or grouper jigging with Brian if weather is bad in north, but it seems nowhere to go. I even called a cod boat in Maine as weather is decent there tomorrow, but they are booked completely.
    I called TJ whether he has any plan to go offshore in Texas this weekend, and he said he couldn't go as there is no electricity at marinas in Freeport, TX. If canyon tuna fishing on the East Coast doesn't pick up soon, I might go to Puerto Vallarta next week to catch some tuna. Big cow started to bite in Puerto Vallarta recently.

over 3 300lb caught, 1 over 250 and 1 almost 400lb and another 220lb caught in last 3 weeks!