360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day Fellas
I am looking to fill my saltiga 6500H Maverick with JB 100lb line. I am not sure wether to go solid or hollow, which one is thinner? Which one casts better?

·
1,386 Posts
G'day Fellas
I am looking to fill my saltiga 6500H Maverick with JB 100lb line. I am not sure wether to go solid or hollow, which one is thinner? Which one casts better?

Without question for that reel, 60# JB Hollow is the way to go. Splice an end-loop in it and loop-to-loop a wind-on leader that you make or buy. It will give you the best casting and more strength than that reel (or any spinning reel) will need.

If you want to go to 100# line, again the hollow-weave can be spliced and will give you 40% stronger connections. If the ABS (Actual Breaking Strength) of the 100# hollow and the 100# solid are the same (you'll have to test it to know), you will get about the same amount of either on your reel.

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mate, I know you are pretty well versed with this brand. Your recomendation will be very highly appreciated

I wont be using it for tuna. I am setting up for GT. What is the ABS for each of the 60, 80 and 100 in either solid or hollow?

·
1,386 Posts
Mate, I know you are pretty well versed with this brand. Your recomendation will be very highly appreciated

I wont be using it for tuna. I am setting up for GT. What is the ABS for each of the 60, 80 and 100 in either solid or hollow?

Because line strength varies from brand to brand; lot to lot, strength to strength, it's hard to keep up with all the options. You will ALWAYS get a stronger connection system with hollow-weave line.

Every quality spectra/dyneema braid is woven with the same basic threads. There is a hollow-weaving pattern and a solid-weaving pattern. The hollow-weaving pattern is more costly to produce but it can be spliced to 100% strength so you get more bang for the buck versus tying knots in solid-weave lines.

The 60# hollow-weave that I bought this year had an ABS of about 100 lbs. (I tested it before committing), the ABS of my 80# hollow was greater than 120 lbs., as was my 100# hollow.

IMO, solid-weave pattern lines are a good choice in the thinner lines because there are no hollow-weave lines that you can get splicing tools into. If you need a metered (marked) line, solid is your choice (except you can splice marks on top of hollow-weave).

The weakest 60# JB hollow lines that I've tested were between 65# and 70#, and they were thinner. Still those lines when spliced are stronger than most 80# solid-weave lines with ordinary knots.

Hope this helps you with the decision.
PF

·
2,924 Posts
GT fishing is a whole different deal, its not like tuna fishing. GT fishing requires really heavy drag and tough reef terrain. I wouldnt use anything under 100 pound of any braid. Most guys use PE10-12 while GT popping.

·
1,386 Posts
GT fishing is a whole different deal, its not like tuna fishing. GT fishing requires really heavy drag and tough reef terrain. I wouldnt use anything under 100 pound of any braid. Most guys use PE10-12 while GT popping.

If you're saying to use thicker line for abrasion protection, I could understand that. Though the reel that's mentioned has a drag spec of 30 lbs.

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're saying to use thicker line for abrasion protection, I could understand that. Though the reel that's mentioned has a drag spec of 30 lbs.

Hi mate, its actually 30kg but I can only fish about 15kg max in comfort! The reason I am looking at 100lb rated JB is because it came with a very high recomendation. For both abraision and shock loads. If its ABS is higher then even more of a bonus. I have also been told that the 6500 spool will take close to 300y of that line

I would prefer to run the hollow 100lb and loop to loop to twisted leader or if possible, insert 200lb leader into a finger trap config. Only if the 100lb hollow gives me similar capacity or more. If that is a fair bit thicker then I'll stick to the solid and run a short plaited or bimini double to form the loop to run the twisted leaders. With the solid, to run the single strand 200lb leader, I am actually currently in the process of developing a knot which I fondly call the "half arsed saqa". More on this later once I have sorted it to my satisfaction

·
2,924 Posts
Hi mate, its actually 30kg but I can only fish about 15kg max in comfort! The reason I am looking at 100lb rated JB is because it came with a very high recomendation. For both abraision and shock loads. If its ABS is higher then even more of a bonus. I have also been told that the 6500 spool will take close to 300y of that line

I would prefer to run the hollow 100lb and loop to loop to twisted leader or if possible, insert 200lb leader into a finger trap config. Only if the 100lb hollow gives me similar capacity or more. If that is a fair bit thicker then I'll stick to the solid and run a short plaited or bimini double to form the loop to run the twisted leaders. With the solid, to run the single strand 200lb leader, I am actually currently in the process of developing a knot which I fondly call the "half arsed saqa". More on this later once I have sorted it to my satisfaction

Twisted leaders are great I used them a lot in panama.

·
Site Sponsor
816 Posts
How do you attach your 400# leader to your tackle? That is some serious stuff you got there!!
you lay your twisted leader next to the 400lb shock leader and you do a figure 8 knot, that knot will be a bit bulky but won't interfer with your presentation (figure 8 knot will have to stay outside the guide),
since i used that method i did not loose a single GT due to knot failure and the good things about it that you will be able to apply a heavy drag as much as 40lb or even higher without any breaking.
most of the guys that target GT use the same method but there main line in hollow,
i personally use s solid PE line that i will attach it to the hollow loop by using improved albright knot.

·
1,086 Posts
Glenn and Sami's comments are spot on as what other GT guides and outfitters have shown me.

Some how I wound up with about 8 spools of JB solid red 50 t0 100 lb:eek:
and prefer to cast it over JB hollow, but thats just me.

Another simulair termination for GT.
PE-10 or 12 tied directly to 4 ft shock\bite leader of 200 to 400 mono
knot used "Carnes Quicky"

Kev.

·
306 Posts
Someone on another board said the JB 100 breaks at 111# and it says over 120# on this board. Is this because of different years or is one number more likely to be accurate than the other? I don't have the setup to test that high.

·
1,095 Posts
Another simulair termination for GT.
PE-10 or 12 tied directly to 4 ft shock\bite leader of 200 to 400 mono
knot used "Carnes Quicky"

Kev.

Kev,

Did I unsderstand you correctly you are using the Cairns to make loops on both the PE and shock Mono and then joining the PE to the shock Mono with a loop-to-loop? Thanks!

butch

1 - 15 of 15 Posts