360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am also interested in knowing how does the capacity in a spinning reel using 60# JB Hollow spectra compares against using 50# PowerPro.

To be used exclusivelly for roosterfish from shore.

Thanks for your comments.

Sergio

·
1,386 Posts
I am also interested in knowing how does the capacity in a spinning reel using 60# JB Hollow spectra compares against using 50# PowerPro.

To be used exclusivelly for roosterfish from shore.

Thanks for your comments.

Sergio

Splice an end-loop in the 60#, and loop-to-loop to your leader. If you want to make a leader, use a stronger hollow-weave 80#, 100# for the mono/fluoro. If you buy a leader, it will already be made with the correct braid for the mono.

A reel that took 600 yards 50# PP took about 500 yards 60# JB when it was loaded at high tension by BHP Tackle. The 60# JB was about 50% stronger (measured strength) than the 50# PP.

·
Site Sponsor
1,212 Posts
If you want to splice your fluoro directly into the JBHC 60lb, the answer is, not easily. If you know how to make a line-to-line step splice, add on some 80lb JBHC for a few yards, then insert your fluoro. You can find diagrams on my website.

Basil Pappas
BHP Tackle

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured it was going to be tough to splice it directly.

I can't use loops because the connection has to be very aerodynamic to cast +100 yds. away. You can check out how the line will be used in the first video here YouTube - sergiospeed1's Channel .

Could I splice the 40# JB HC to 80# JB HC?

I really do not need a 60# test line that is really over 60# test for this job. Using lighter line gives me more casting distance and in some particular spots that makes a difference.

I will check out your site Basil.

Thanks to both,

Sergio

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Basil, I see that you have some custom length spools for sale at your site.

By any chance do you know how much 40 and/or 60# JBHC can a Saltiga Z 6000GT spinning reel take filled about 1 mm from the lip (over filled by most fishermen's standards)?

Sergio

·
Site Sponsor
1,212 Posts
40lb JB "hollow" can NOT be spliced. I'm not suggesting you use loops, rather, do a line-to-line splice, also known as an in-line splice, to add a few yards of 80lb hollow to insert your fluoro into. An in-line splice is nearly impossible to see and will not affect your casting distance. I believe your reel will hold 400 yards if properly loaded using a linewinder and correct pressure.

Basil Pappas
BHP Tackle

·
1,386 Posts
40lb JB "hollow" can NOT be spliced. I'm not suggesting you use loops, rather, do a line-to-line splice, also known as an in-line splice, to add a few yards of 80lb hollow to insert your fluoro into. An in-line splice is nearly impossible to see and will not affect your casting distance. I believe your reel will hold 400 yards if properly loaded using a linewinder and correct pressure.

Basil Pappas
BHP Tackle

I second this view.

·
1,386 Posts
I second this view.

The other thing you can do is use very thin solid, splice 60# hollow onto that per my solid/hollow splice here: Solid Hollow Splice Link, and then splice 80# into the 60# as Basil suggested. It is a seamless great casting, 100% strong series of connections that I have used all year.

·
3,483 Posts
question for you pametfisher:

With the JB 60 I have seen posted specs for it to slightly exceed 100lbs breaking strength. Now, normally, I only use 80 lb or greater test for off shore but am building a rig for 200 lb Tuna with a Stella 2000 but wonder if the JB 60 would be adequate as it should hold up to the strain of 25lbs of drag (ie 25% of breaking strength) for this application? I would gain significant yardage by going smaller in diameter with JB 60 versus 80 and wonder if the trade off would lead to adequately strong line for my intended use?

Your thoughts?

Thx for all replies.

·
1,386 Posts
question for you pametfisher:

With the JB 60 I have seen posted specs for it to slightly exceed 100lbs breaking strength. Now, normally, I only use 80 lb or greater test for off shore but am building a rig for 200 lb Tuna with a Stella 2000 but wonder if the JB 60 would be adequate as it should hold up to the strain of 25lbs of drag (ie 25% of breaking strength) for this application? I would gain significant yardage by going smaller in diameter with JB 60 versus 80 and wonder if the trade off would lead to adequately strong line for my intended use?

Your thoughts?

Thx for all replies.

I have two Penn 950s and two Stella 20000 FAs. I have had another several 20000 SWs loaded. All have used the 60# JB hollow. It's specified ABS is about 70 lbs. but every time I've tested it this year for all the reels I've loaded or recommended, it's tested between 95 lbs. and 107 lbs. Since you splice end-loops in it, you lose no strength.

This is more than strong enough for 30-35 lbs. initial drag and suitable for a peak drag of 55 lbs. at the bottom of the spool per Shimano's specification for the 20000SW.

I haven't posted this yet, but last week I made an end-loop in 60# JB hollow and started jerking weights off the floor as hard as I could. This is a more extreme test than any fish could put on the line because there was no rod to add flex and no drag to slip. I was able to jerk more than 50 lbs. (won't say how much because I would like to run the test several times before I publish) off the floor.

60# JB, loaded by BHP Tackle's high tension winder, connected loop to loop to a wind-on leader can deliver over 90 lbs. breaking strength from spool to terminal tackle. IMO, this is THE benchmark system for BFT and other large gamefish on high performance spinning reels.

·
3,483 Posts
I have two Penn 950s and two Stella 20000 FAs. I have had another several 20000 SWs loaded. All have used the 60# JB hollow. It's specified ABS is about 70 lbs. but every time I've tested it this year for all the reels I've loaded or recommended, it's tested between 95 lbs. and 107 lbs. Since you splice end-loops in it, you lose no strength.

This is more than strong enough for 30-35 lbs. initial drag and suitable for a peak drag of 55 lbs. at the bottom of the spool per Shimano's specification for the 20000SW.

I haven't posted this yet, but last week I made an end-loop in 60# JB hollow and started jerking weights off the floor as hard as I could. This is a more extreme test than any fish could put on the line because there was no rod to add flex and no drag to slip. I was able to jerk more than 50 lbs. (won't say how much because I would like to run the test several times before I publish) off the floor.

60# JB, loaded by BHP Tackle's high tension winder, connected loop to loop to a wind-on leader can deliver over 90 lbs. breaking strength from spool to terminal tackle. IMO, this is THE benchmark system for BFT and other large gamefish.

thx very much for that. glad to see it was adding up as I hoped as to what the ideal set up currently is.

Thx for your reply.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all for you expert advice.

I do have to say that winding line by machine on tapered spools of some spinning reels (like the Daiwa Saltiga, Saltist, Emblem Pro et al.) is not recommended.

Winding by machine will negate the line laying benefits of these reels on the cast and and may also leave you with an extremelly overfilled spool after recovering 300-400 yds of line if you filled the spool to the top by machine.

Filling by machine is also one of the reasons some casters get knots when casting these tapered spool reels. Particularly on the first casts.

Reels that do not have a tapered spool are of course exempt from this requirement and can be conveniently filled by machine.

Sergio

·
1,386 Posts
Thanks to all for you expert advice.

I do have to say that winding line by machine on tapered spools of some spinning reels (like the Daiwa Saltiga, Saltist, Emblem Pro et al.) is not recommended.

Winding by machine will negate the line laying benefits of these reels on the cast and and may also leave you with an extremelly overfilled spool after recovering 300-400 yds of line if you filled the spool to the top by machine.

Filling by machine is also one of the reasons some casters get knots when casting these tapered spool reels. Particularly on the first casts.

Reels that do not have a tapered spool are of course exempt from this requirement and can be conveniently filled by machine.

Sergio

There's some good wisdom in what you wrote.

Regarding the first casts "problem", the top 100 yards (or expected casting distance) of machine wound spools should be rewound per the Spooling for Minimum line twist: Spooling Hints.

Regarding possible overfilling, the line below the casting layer will be packed back on, usually in the region of the drag setting while fighting large gamefish. So if you pack at, say, 14 lbs. but fight at 18-20 lbs. You won't have the problem of an overfilled reel. Regarding the casting layer, that could expand by 10-20%. On my reels the casting layer is about the first 0.125" if it expanded 15% that would increase the fullness by roughly 0.02", which should not be a problem.

Still you are right to point out the potential problems with machine filling of ANY spinning reel. However, I believe that the benefits outweigh the risks, and the risks can be erased by properly reseting the top casting layer before use.

PF

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As a corollary to this thread:

Last week in Mexico I used 60# JBHC Spectra spliced to 7' of 80# Blackwater Fluorocarbon shock leader in a Saltiga Z6000GT to catch more than 20 Roosterfish from shore and also a good number of big Jack Crevalle.

I did not have 100# at hand to see if I could splice it to the 60# JBHC but I do not think that I need more than 80# BW Leader on that 60# JBHC Spectra line for this particular application.

I am more than satisfied regarding the strength of the setup and the casting distance was more than adequate (100 - 130 yds in good conditions).

This HC line works near perfectly on the S S6000GT. I was a bit worried about line twist but I did not notice anything worth mentioning after several hundred +100 yds casts.

This combination is my new favorite to fish for big fish from shore.

Sergio

·
1,386 Posts
As a corollary to this thread:

Last week in Mexico I used 60# JBHC Spectra spliced to 7' of 80# Blackwater Fluorocarbon shock leader in a Saltiga Z6000GT to catch more than 20 Roosterfish from shore and also a good number of big Jack Crevalle.

I did not have 100# at hand to see if I could splice it to the 6'# JBHC but I do not think that I need more than 80# BW Leader on that 60# JBHC Spectra line for this particular application.

I am more than satisfied regarding the strength of the setup and the casting distance was more than adequate (100 - 130 yds in good conditions).

This HC line works near perfectly on the S S6000GT. I was a bit worried about line twist but I did not notice anything worth mentioning after several hundred +100 yds casts.

This combination is my new favorite to fish for big fish from shore.

Sergio

Glad to hear that it worked out for you. Although there are rumors that the hollow-weaving pattern is more susceptible to line twist, there is no reason that should happen. (A possible explanation is that hollow-weave is more often machine wound onto spools. ANY line that is machine wound should have the twist corrected for the top 100 yards before casting, since machine winding does not put a reverse twist in the line.)

I received another Stella 20K SW a couple weeks ago that was machine loaded with JB 60# hollow. After resetting the top 100 yards for proper twist, I checked the breaking strength: 89 lbs. To that I spliced a few yards of the 80# which worked very well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts