360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom is in Tokyo right now, visiting my aunt... My birthday is next weekend...
Mom's gave me the green light to order any reel and or tackle she can buy and take home ( my uncle know's the city ).. what should I suggest. I really don't know what to ask for...

I am not looking to break the bank, but if if there was something in Japan that you could not get in the US, what would it be?

·
78 Posts
Twinpower SW 6000PG will hold about 300 yards of PE3. I have one and would highly recommend it. I also have a 12000HG for popping. You will find them a lot cheaper in Japan compared to online shops. Trust me, I live here.

·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Twinpower SW 6000PG will hold about 300 yards of PE3. I have one and would highly recommend it. I also have a 12000HG for popping. You will find them a lot cheaper in Japan compared to online shops. Trust me, I live here.

thanks.. what about a conventional reel? PE line?.. any good tackle shops I should suggest going to? Thanks for the help.

·
78 Posts
Unless she is down in Okinawa, I got nothing for her in regards to tackle shops. Shimano Ocea Jigger would probably be the only conventional that you may want to look at. As far as PE line, the skies the limit.

·
1,201 Posts
I really don't know what to ask for...

A GOOD 10" sashimi knife. You can get the reels over here but there aren't knife selections here like they have there when it comes to blended steel.

·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A GOOD 10" sashimi knife. You can get the reels over here but there aren't knife selections here like they have there when it comes to blended steel.

Why stop there? My uncle sent me a samauri type knife when I was 10.. thats was almost 28 years ago... LOL:D .. that SOB is still sharp.... I can get knives when I want.. mom's hooking me up for my b-day and new Japanese tackle is on the list.

·
2,835 Posts
I'd pick the Stella over the Twinpower.

The line roller on the Stella has a anti scratch coating where the twinpower does not. The anti reverse clutch is a lot better in the Stella. The Stella has a hardened stainless pinion gear while the twinpower is brass and the Stella gears are coated with a hardened bronze treatment. The Stella is more integrated. Internal parts are fitted to the main body frame which holds up better under a load.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Don't need to break mom's bank... again, I could always get a Stella here.. right?

You could always get a stella here but it is a different model, there are JDM (Japanese Domestic Model) and there are US (US Domestic Model). They are a bit different like carbon knob on 8000 class and below, color are arm are different and the jdm got PG, HG, and XG model (gear ratio). If you don't want to break momma's bank then either go with a Twinpower, if you want a reel, or go with a rod since it cost lots of money to ship it from Japan, or anything else that you think will benefit you, it's not a good idea to get something that you will not be using. :D

·
804 Posts
IF she goes jig shopping for you, she'll break her back. and the airlines will charge her a extra hundred or so for the fifty pounds

·
104 Posts
U SHOULD go for a Stella 6000PG!! It has a carbon handlenob. I'ts the same framesize as a 5000SW but with a bigger spool. I tried to order a 6000 spool separately to fit on my 5000. -It was expensive!! Plus, it's a powergeared model wich is better for speedjigging. Loads of dragpower. Simply, the best money can get. And if u tell her to go to Proshop Sansui they will probably have the best offer. There is one in Shibuya about 400m from the station. Here is the map Tackle shops in Tokyo but they have a hole bunch of shops in Tokyo. And if you're into speedjigging you and your mom has some spare weight then this is really the time to buy some jigs. Shipping is very expensive if you order online. Another reel that you should consider buying is Daiwa Ishidai Z30 Daiwa Tournament Ishidai Z 30 40 fantastic stuff!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts