Izor, XP, PP braid?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by DEA, Nov 27, 2008.

1. DEA

DEA Member

Hey fellas, got some questions about braid available from Izor, Tuf-Line XP, and Power Pro.

I gather from forum chit-chat that Izor and XP are one in the same? Or are they different, meaning, does the Izor have no/less coating, different weave etc?

As for diameters, assuming advertised 65lb, has anyone noticed an increase and/or decrease in reel capacity when switching between any of the 3 brands? Meaning, is any of the lines actually "thinner"? Example, both PP and XP are advertised with 0.016" diameter @ 65lb.

I've been a PP user for quite a bit but I am getting frustrated with the dye bleeding out, the damn "wax" coating on the line, and most recently, inconsistent diameter (eg, spool read 50lb, actually 80lb!)

So I've been looking into either Izor or XP solid.

Thanks!

2. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Hey fellas, got some questions about braid available from Izor, Tuf-Line XP, and Power Pro.

I gather from forum chit-chat that Izor and XP are one in the same? Or are they different, meaning, does the Izor have no/less coating, different weave etc?

As for diameters, assuming advertised 65lb, has anyone noticed an increase and/or decrease in reel capacity when switching between any of the 3 brands? Meaning, is any of the lines actually "thinner"? Example, both PP and XP are advertised with 0.016" diameter @ 65lb.

I've been a PP user for quite a bit but I am getting frustrated with the dye bleeding out, the damn "wax" coating on the line, and most recently, inconsistent diameter (eg, spool read 50lb, actually 80lb!)

So I've been looking into either Izor or XP solid.

Thanks!

I was asking a similar question the other day. While everyone has their favorite lines, Ksong mentioned in reply to me that Jerry Brown and Tuf XP were the most consistent quality.

I'm thinking of the JB so that I have the benefit of spliced end loops which I like the strength of.

3. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I personally think that JB is the best a league of it's own and then Tuf-Line XP. I have had night mares with PP and will never ever use it again even if it was given to me. I am currently using Tuf-Line XP and loving it. No problems whatsoever. I also jig with JB solid and love it also.

4. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Tuff line XP does have some coating on it and when brand new spooled onto a reel tight it tends to stick a little on first few casts. After some water get on the lines its fine.

5. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

Izor has no coating and is 12 strand line. pp is only 4 strand. the izor braid will pack better on the spool because no wax coating but will only get a few more yards of line. diameters are roughly the same. 65 izor is hard to beat!
    xp is also great with good consistency. might be 6 or 8 strand.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i use JB solid and tuff line xp if i want non-marked braid. they are equally good in my experience.

izorline is nice too...but i havent used it much.

7. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

jerry brown, izor, and tuff line xp are no brainers. there good, proven, and priced right.

8. Cudakilla

Cudakilla Senior Member

Jerry Brown solid is awesome line. Very limp and not coated like PP. I have used PP for years and used to be one of the largest volume PP resellers for a while (back in the days when I was a tackle distributor). PP is great line but like you I really don't like clouds of yellow powder all over everything when you have a big fish on the run.

Jerry Brown soild has proven to be an excellent line for me and I only use it now for all of my reels. Get them directly from Jerry, they are very, very cool people to deal with. Real fishermen and will bend over backwards to take care of you.

I must add that when I ordered a bunch of line from one of their resellers recently, they had Jerry drop ship them to me. Due to reseller screw up, the line did not get to me but at the last minute when they Jerry found out I needed to have the line for a upcoming trip, they offered to put the package on the 'next flight out' UPS. It would have cost a tremendous bomb to do it but they would have done it if I gave them to go ahead. They even suggested that they courier it directly to the boat if I preferred. I told them it would not make any sense to do so.

The fact that they were willing to go above and beyond the normal to take care of me says a lot about the kind of company they are. They will always have my business.

9. NEMO

NEMO Member

I like Izorline over PP, I've had too many brake offs useing PP and I like the way Izorline handles in the wind on my Stella's, I have never try'd Jerry Brown but alot of my bubby's use it and love it. Why change if it works for you.

10. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I also have had power pro break on me too many times. I will not use PP anymore. I was using 100 pound solid PP and broke the line several times jig fishing. These felt like big fish, but I shouldn't have been breaking the line. I was given some free suffix braid and I really like it. I have tufline on some reels but have yet to use it. Tufline has a very good reputation. I have used jerry brown without any complaints. JB 100 solid and 130 hallow are great lines, but pricey. I have daiwa braid and it is very soft and pliable but I have not caught anything but blackfin with it. I also have varivas and it is very nice.

OTI has colored braid that has done well.

11. DEA

DEA Member

Thanks fellas for the replies!

Gonna get some Izor and give it a whirl!

12. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Ditto on the PP breakage....not fun when you lose big fish.

13. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Ditto on the PP breakage....not fun when you lose big fish.

Braid makers are keeping us in the dark. They give us one number about their lines. #, breaking strength. But even that number isn't accurate. Some put more Spectra in their lines (denier), some put less (80# lines range from 1,000 to 2,500). Some 80# lines break around 80 pounds (e.g. Sunline PE IGFA), some break as high as 140 pounds (e.g. Coral X-Braid).

Where Power Pro falls on denier or actual-breaking-strength, we don't have a clue.

I wonder if this is part of Power Pro's problem?

14. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

i think PP's problem is quality control. they apparently have many bad batches. ive had spools of pp that held up fine and some that were crap. there seemed to be alot of problems awhile back. havent heard any recent problems lately, that could be from people staying away from the stuff though.

15. Adrianw

Adrianw Junior member

Hmmm, some people believes there are 'fake' PP lines out in market. But no one in Singapore seems able to support this claim. Many would say PP lines breaks too far from stated # breaking strength so it's 'fake. Or simply like what being said...poor quality control.

Anyway, most of us here in Singapore are with Berkley Whiplash. But didn't come across members here commenting about it? I'm just one of them using it and so far it served me alright. Never hit any 'big' fish personally here or somewhere near, so can't really swear for it. Care to shed some lights?

Tight lines!

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Hmmm, some people believes there are 'fake' PP lines out in market. But no one in Singapore seems able to support this claim. Many would say PP lines breaks too far from stated # breaking strength so it's 'fake. Or simply like what being said...poor quality control.

Tight lines!

The counterfeit Power Pro lines in Asia was real.
    I agree the 'mysterious' breakages of PP are resulted from poor quality control.

PowerPro - Catch The Power!

17. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

My problem with PP was on an inshore reel spooled with 30lb.
    It kept separating on casts. It was not like a pop break, just the line coming apart.
    I know I talked ot one other person who had this problem. I sent the spool back and they sent me 2 new spools. I havent opened them yet...

I have been using only JB and Izor line since. Except my saragosa is spooled with spiderwire stealth beacuse of availability. I have not had a problem with any of them at all.

18. Augs

Augs Member

power pro requires too much attention. its shelf live is about equal to other braids I have used, but only if you don't use it. (haha) the minute that wax coating is gone, you have to clean the fish you caught, the reel you used, and re-spool. Go with a non-shedding braid in my opinion.

19. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

Anyway, most of us here in Singapore are with Berkley Whiplash. But didn't come across members here commenting about it? I'm just one of them using it and so far it served me alright. Never hit any 'big' fish personally here or somewhere near, so can't really swear for it. Care to shed some lights?

Tight lines!

i bought a bunch of left over spools of whiplash at my tackle store years ago. the line was white and felt very soft. very silky like. i had 60 and 80 lb spools. the problem i had with it was that the fibers would separate quick, less abrasion resistant than others(all braid sucks when it comes to abrasion resistance)

20. Adrianw

Adrianw Junior member

i bought a bunch of left over spools of whiplash at my tackle store years ago. the line was white and felt very soft. very silky like. i had 60 and 80 lb spools. the problem i had with it was that the fibers would separate quick, less abrasion resistant than others(all braid sucks when it comes to abrasion resistance)

Totally agree with you on fibers would separate quick with Whiplash. But they would spooled in much more lines compared to other brands, like Varivas.

With Saragosa 18k , only manage to get 350M in with Varivas PE6(max 70lbs). I know it will be more than enough in terms of lines and power to fish with this setup in most places around Asia(Except area like Andaman Sea). But hey, I could get a whopping 500M using Whiplash 65lbs! :eek:

Anyway, seems like Tuff XP not a bad line afterall by looking at the comment from you guys here. Would get some here and find out myself next week in Bali for some GTs...:D

Thanks guys!