It's Sausage Time !!

Discussion in 'HUNTING' started by STx Fisherman, Nov 9, 2006.

1. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

I trapped a couple of hogs a couple of days ago and now I have some major sausage preparations in progress. I made 36 lbs. of breakfast sausage, 10 lbs. of Mexican chorizo, and have 60 lbs. of a polish kielbasa sausage curing in the walk-in cooler for smoking.

The breakfast sausage was ground and mixed this afternoon...and I tried a recipe that I found that claimed to be a Jimmy Dean clone. Well...it sucked. I added more spice to the mix and decided to add light brown sugar and some maple syrup just for kicks and grins. We vacuum packed all of this batch and brought it home. I'll try some in the morning and report about the outcome.

The chorizo is sitting in the cooler and will be ready to try after a day or two...I'm positive that it will come out delicioso!

The Polish kielbasa mix was also from a recipe that I found online and it smells fantastic. I took some out of the final mix and cooked up a patty to try it out. It was VERY tasty. I will be trying out my smoker next week and will be adding mesquite coals into the firebox for heat/smoke and adding wet hickory chips to add to the flavor of the smoked sausage. I am pretty confident that it will come out pretty nice.

I was wondering about something....I was thinking about adding onions to the mesquite coals and hickory chips to provide some onion smoke...(I do this when I barbecue and it smells awesome). Has anyone every tried onions in the smoke when smoking sausage? Comments would be appreciated.

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Sounds very tasty.. I might want that kielbasa recipe....

3. STx Fisherman

4. STx Fisherman

The breakfast sausage was not what I expected....I need to go back to the Zach's or Legg' pork sausage mix. It wasn't really bad or anything...it just didn't come out like Jimmy Dean sausage as claimed.

5. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Richard, Thanks for the link.

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

You need to toss some tuna in the smoker. I took 10 pounds of fresh YF Sunday to a barbaque place to have smoked. I picked it up and made a huge batch of tuna salad. There is nother better than smoked tuna salad.

7. Bret

Bret Senior Member

You need to toss some tuna in the smoker. I took 10 pounds of fresh YF Sunday to a barbaque place to have smoked. I picked it up and made a huge batch of tuna salad. There is nother better than smoked tuna salad.

now that sounds tasty. I have had a hankering for tuna way before cinco got cancelled.

8. STx Fisherman

MrBill...that sounds great. I stuffed sausage today...120 links or so...and they are hanging to dry in the walk-in cooler overnight. I'll be smoking the links tomorrow and will try smoking some tuna with mesquite coals and hickory chips along with the sausage. I still may throw in "onion chips" with the hickory to see how that comes out. So far the sausage endeavor has taken alot more time than I imagined.....but....it's fun. Can't wait to try smoked tuna salad....sounds delicious.

9. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Toss a couple of limes in the coals also.