It makes me exciting.

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Oct 2, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Those tuna are not 60 -100 lbs, but 600 lbs - 1000 lbs in Prince Edward Islands, Canada. I am seriously reconsidering to go NZ for giants. :)

YouTube - MONSTER BLUEFIN

2. gman

gman Senior Member

Funny I forgot to post that video here and teh thread i created on another site. Im going probably with Dennis

I just got off the phone with my good friend Dennis Braid moments ago, I had the pleasure of being with him while he filmed a show down in NC earlier this year and I am a big believer in his powerplay rods PLUS he is the stand up king who I have learned a lot from.

Anyway, Dennis has some great contacts up in Prince Edward Island with a charter boat that is very successful. He recently filmed a show there and is organizing trips

I need to get there asap

Braid Products

3. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

Very sick......video....

4. gman

gman Senior Member

Dennis sent me that video Kil on Monday, he has been calling me daily telling me what's going on up there. Commerical opened and closed in a day where they harvested over 86 giants most of which were over 700 pounds

Im going to fish stand up and maybe ;) a little playing around with some other concepts. Im going to New Zealand in March to go jigging Three Kings but for Giants I am going to PEI

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Who are interested in fishing Prince Edward Island next year ? :)
    I don't think I can fight 600 - 1000 lbs on standup physically any more and it belongs to young gun like Glenn. :) I am just happy to see other fishermen fight them while I do part-time fighting.
    I might see Dennis soon and I'll ask detailed info.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

kil- i am moving back to the northeast before the end of 2009. i may be able to go :)

7. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

nice videos.
    good luck on the trips.

8. gman

gman Senior Member

Kil I want a grander standup, thats the goal

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Glenn, I am just happy to see you fight a grander on a standup. :)
    Whenever I see Dennis Braid in person, I think I can fight a giant on a standup as he is not big and he is not young either. But whenever I see how he fight giants on a standup, it discourages me because I just can not do as he does. :)

10. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

I have two unlimited class, custom built, stand up rods. Before swivel butt rod holders, thats how we rolled in small boats.

When I asked the guys at Whalebone to build them for me, they raised an eyebrow, but they did it as I was the customer.

Kil, you can do it. Its all about physics, as I mentioned on your site.

11. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Who are interested in fishing Prince Edward Island next year ? :)
    I don't think I can fight 600 - 1000 lbs on standup physically any more and it belongs to young gun like Glenn. :) I am just happy to see other fishermen fight them while I do part-time fighting.
    I might see Dennis soon and I'll ask detailed info.

What time of year is it?

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

What time of year is it?
    Right now. Fishing is good all summer and fall.
    Dennis Braid is there now to fish from tomorrow.

13. gman

gman Senior Member

its gonna happen ... 4'8" rod and a 80w filled with about a million yards of 200 pound braid, a bucket harness and a prayer hahahahaahaha 2-3 hours later they will slide that big ass tuna through the custom 60" tuna door for a quick picture a tag and release. That how i envision it

Then I will switch to spinning LOL

14. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

For me its the knees. Mr Braid fits under most gunnels and uses those knee pads to fight the fish. I'm 6'1" and my knees don't fit under most bow gunnels let alone the stern, but with that said, count me in. I'm thinking of taking an 80 with me to the Cape now. Send a bait out on the kite and pop and jig while waiting.
    Hell I'll take me a 800g jigging blank and throw it on the rail and just sit back.

15. Riptide

Riptide Banned

Guys,

The PEI thing is cool and all, but the whole big numbers of giants on standup gear is old news. In 2004 we dragged 2 boats to NC and fished Cal's Penn 50's and Stock Penn 70's for giants pre-commerical season. 15 hook-ups and 13 tagged and released fish in 3 days of fishing. Longest fight was around 45 minutes. Biggest fish taped out boatside at 103" CFL and weighed an est. 650#. Here's a few pics, I'll post some video tomorrow if I can dig it out. FWIW, the 70's a better standup reel IMHO, nearly the drag of an 80 and much easier to handle. Rods were 5'6".

Riptide Charters - NC 2004 Pix

16. gman

gman Senior Member

Bravo on giants on stand up being old news, And congrats on your NC trip what's old news to you may not be to others. Obviously some of us haven't done what you have so maybe you can let us have our moment and discussion

17. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

There's a Giant bite going off in Chatham right now. No need to head to Canada.

18. Riptide

Riptide Banned

Glenn not trying to kill your thrill. Just offering that it's been done many times before even on spinning gear. A few years before we went The Hook Up had a custom spinning rod with a big Penn reel built for a guy that went down and fished a bunker feed. He did a slob 400+ if I remember the article corretly. (edit: here is the article) Giant Bluefin Tuna on a Spinning Rod!

I was under the impression that this site was for sharing knowledge and past expeirence. Having done it several times myself and run the boat and spotted for other anglers engaged in fighting giants standup I figured I'd offer any input I could to help others. Sorry I'll sit quietly while you discuss and have your moment

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

There's a Giant bite going off in Chatham right now. No need to head to Canada.
    Do you want to fish with 250 boats ? :)

20. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It is true standup fishing for giants is not new. Dennis Braid did it several years ago and TJ almost landed a giant on standup if he didn't have cramp a few years ago. I am not interested in fishing with 50 or 80 reels. All I want is to catch a giant with normal jigging setups :)