It just doesnt stop.....

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Capt. Dom, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

This years run of bluefin is amazing to say the least with many year classes showing in robust numbers, feeding with the urgency of that pre migratory time of year we all look forward to.

Yesterdays trip was a repeat of Wed., we had fish up and around all day. I launched 6am in the brisk morning air out of Green Harbor with Angelo, Andy, and first timer George; cold on the grounds most of the day, and bumpy as hell in the am, but settled nicely in the afternoon.

We stopped the boat up high on the bank in the middle of nowhere, intending to run east. The first cast of the day came tight with a Yo Zuri Crystal mag in blue mack pattern, but unfortunately another fish swam into the line and broke the 80 pound braid. Rod used was a 40-60 OTI Tuna Sniper with a Saragosa 18000F and 80 pound suffix with a streamline topshot. 0-1, not even 7am, and looking promising.

Within another half hour, we got another chance on an unweighted Got Stryper 11 inch in the new "pumpkin" color. We got him on the right rod, but unfortunately the wrong reel. Set up was an OTI 600 Gram jig rod (4'8") rod with a Saragosa 14000F and 80 Pound OTI Depth Finder line. We had the soft plastic bait rigged to a 10/) HD Live bait hook attached to a 300 pound split ring and 220 Spro swivel. After Angelo did an amazing job tangling with him for 30 minutes, George, Andy, and myself all gave a tug on it as well. We got the fish almost within poon range and it was a monster, definitely in the high 60 low 70 inch range, FAT and glowing taunting us with strong circles still fresh but not taking too much drag. Angwelo palmed the spool nicely, and finally got the rythm going where we had maybe 2 more circles before he would be within reasonable range. The reel then seized up as the fish dug in to try and get away once more, and before Angelo could even palm the spool the drag locked and POW, mainline snaps at the reel, and I launch the poon in desperation, only to have it stop just short of chinstrapping this pig....man on the dart line that had spooled onto the deck about 15 feet in when I pulled the ball out....0 for 2 and not even 8am. The fish were up all over, but less concentrated after that long tussle.

We then spent the morning trying to get on a decent feed, but the fish were on Half beaks and were challenging to run on in the slop so we opted to jig and drift a bit. We had many swipes but no love with the jigs, so we decided to concentrate on the topwater game, as the conditions were turning a bit making running into the sea much easier.

The entire afternoon we had small pods of fish from low 40 inch class to high 60 inch and beyond skying out all over the place chasing the half beaks. One tuna right near the boat came out 5 or 6 feet and did a somersault before crashing back into the water. Reckless abondenment ensued, and we had one of those amazing afternoons where everywhere you look is a scene from Blue Planet type stuff. The tattoo Sea Dog took the fish we harvested, in herring pattern. This lure has been absolutely the go to when these fish are crashing on the surface, and we got one right into the middle of one of the many carnages we saw. Two twitches and off to the races. Fish was hooked on an OTI 60-80 Tuna Sniper and a Van Staal VS 250, spooled with Diawa PE 8 Boat braid. The Sea Dog was taken right out of the package and its first bath accounted for a 67 inch monster of a fish that was handled with ease within 30 minutes by Angelo and George.

We had several more hours of simliar scenes, with Angelo successfully releasing our last fish of the day at 2:45 PM, a fat 63 inch model caught on Stella 20K with 100# Varivas braid and a 130 pound leader on an OTI 60-80 7'6 Extreme series.... The fall feed appears to have started, and I am hoping we get plenty of weather windows to chase them between now and sometime after Thanksgiving.

View attachment 8851

View attachment 8852

View attachment 8853

Attached Files:

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

great report.
    so the VS worked ok.

what your water temp up there?

3. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

great report.
    so the VS worked ok.

what your water temp up there?

The VS worked more than okay. I have been experimenting with them the past month now, and am impressed by its performance thus far.

Water temps were 58-60 degrees. I caught my last fish out of 45 degree water in late November last year.:cool:

4. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

yeah, the guys in jersey have been using the VS more and more.
    light weight,, and seem to be working.

thanks

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

wow awesome work dom..........angelo the stella 20k didnt get any love?

6. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

wow awesome work dom..........angelo the stella 20k didnt get any love?

My bad Btret, that reel you guys got did the honors on the last fish, thought it was my setup, I have an 18K on an OTI as well. What line was on that reel?

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i had spooled it with 80 OTI, but i think angelo said he put 100lb hollow on it........was it a solid color line?

8. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

i had spooled it with 80 OTI, but i think angelo said he put 100lb hollow on it........was it a solid color line?

Definitely wasnt OTI. Looks to be white in the picture, probably JB or similar?

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah i think maybe JB or izorline....he told me a while back but i cant remember. i think he had one of basil's winons working on it. glad to see the reel got to scream a bit. it was just too big for the fish here IMO so i sent it to him after panama to take some pounding up there!

ill give you a call soon - not sure if i told you im moving home before the end of the year. prob too late for this season but ill be in full swing for 2010

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Bret, if you move back to East Coast, you have good chance to join 100 kg club. :)

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Bret, if you move back to East Coast, you have good chance to join 100 kg club. :)

yes, that is an added bonus :D

12. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Got plenty of shots in Nov. last year, hoping to do the same this year....get your ass out here before you move if you have to...the bite is on!!!

Talk to you soon.

13. gman

gman Senior Member

congrats Dom and crew, I love when you call me all pumped up like yesterday ha ha I will get up there soon to collect my 75" tuna just have her waiting for me. lol

congrats again

14. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

Capt. Dom,
    how long does it take the saragosas to finally seize up? 2 fish? have you changed to carbontex or is it the cap melting? I love my saragosa and we don't see that class of tuna in the gulf. or not every day at least. Just curious. thanks

15. aruvio

aruvio Banned

I had 350yds of 130 hollow on the reel and 100lb mono. Took off basil's topshot when I went offshore and have been having great success with the varivas knot this year.

16. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

we all know bret cannot handle 100kgs

17. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

The fishing you're describing is beyond nuts. I'm on my way next week with TJ and the gang and hoping to get in on this madness. Bring on the tackle crushers.

Fred