Is this a good reel grease?

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by tmd, May 10, 2009.

1. tmd

tmd Large Member

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

pm alantani and see what he has to say.

3. alantani

alantani Senior Member

it should be fine for general purpose. i don't think i would recommend it for drag washers, though......

4. tmd

tmd Large Member

it should be fine for general purpose. i don't think i would recommend it for drag washers, though......

hi alatani

i use cal's for drag washers. but please tell me what is the best grease for gears? thnx

5. alantani

alantani Senior Member

guys, i know this is going to sound odd, but i have a VERY special blend of greases that i use for "general purpose." i have a couple of ratty old toothbrushes. they have a mix of yamaha grease, cal's grease, corrosion x, some old axle grease, and some stuff that's probably 30 years old. that is what is ground down into these toothbrushes. they come from all of reels that i've worked on.

basically what i do is crack open a reel and use these toothbrushes to clean up the old grease and corrosion, then wipe out as much as i can with an old towel, then clean up the toothbrushes with the same towel and finally go back in with the toothbrush to give the reel a light coat of "mixed grease" to protect the inside. you don't really need alot. just shine it up a little and that should provide enough protection. when i need a little extra grease, i just dip the toothbrush into the tub of yamaha grease. the same applies to gears. i just use an old toothbrush dipped in anything to give it a light coat of grease!