Is there a big difference? Torium/trinidad

Discussion in 'Reels' started by renegade red, Dec 29, 2008.

1. renegade red

renegade red Junior member

Admittedly, I am fairly new to this whole jigging phenomenon as me and my buddies have only been doing it for a little over a year. I originally purchased a Torium 20 and a Trevala like so many beginners. I have caught lots of snaps, small aj's, kings, blackfins, and just about everything that swims up to about 30 pounds. I am at the point now wherer I am looling to get some more equiptment and am starting the comparison process. Upon first glance, there seems to be few differenes between the Torium and the Trinidad. Of course Trini has 3 more bearings and a few other differences. Are these seemingly minor differences worth the extra money? Is it a matter of just replacing the bearings more often, or is Trinidad reel really that much better?

mike

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

once you go to TN40, 40N and 50 - there are big differences that IMO are worth the money when you target larger fish.

the anti-reverse of the torium is not very strong. anything over 18lbs of drag and watch out ;)

i used a torium 20 this weekend and the anti-reverse is starting to fail on it.

3. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I agree with Bret. The trini 16, 20, and 30 will be smoother, but not much, if any, stronger when it comes to the antireverse.

The trini 40s and 50s are strong, smooth reels worth the extra money, IMO.

4. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

I have a Torium 30 spooled with spectra and a Penn "Dave Workman Jr" 12-30lbs. rod and have caught everything from 100 pound tarpon, to a couple of 50+ lbs. wahoo, several large sharks, countless bottom fish and scores of Blackfin, but never any Tuna over 40lbs. I have been totally satisfied since I paid about $375.00 for everything.

5. Augs

Augs Member

Before you set your intentions to a Trinidad, consider your options. I just switched from a Torium to an Avet, and have heard nothing but good news about the reels. (I haven't finished all my mods and extensive testing, so I can't offer my full opinion just yet) With the recent popularity of deep water jigging and the reels subsequently produced, the field is huge. As an avid shimano owner, (and huge calcutta fan) this is the kind of problem that passionate and dedicated anglers should be exited to have. Enjoy the research, and let us know what you end up with.

6. renegade red

renegade red Junior member

thanks for the advice guys, will take it to heart and spend the extra money. I firmly believe in not re-inventing the wheel when it comes to things I am unsure about.

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

what avet?

It doesnt matter, he said the most important thing "I haven't finished all my mods" yet.

I would much rather buy a reel that is ready to go out of the box than buy a cheaper one and have to mod it out to work. Seems to me that if they cant make it correct then what else are they going to cut corners on.

d-a

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

It doesnt matter, he said the most important thing "I haven't finished all my mods" yet.

I would much rather buy a reel that is ready to go out of the box than buy a cheaper one and have to mod it out to work. Seems to me that if they cant make it correct then what else are they going to cut corners on.

d-a

i agree, though there is a big difference if he said he got an Hx versus a JX as far as tuna fishing is concerned.

9. red34

red34 Guest

He just got a MXJ 6/3, and he will be magging, washer flipping ((())). I believe it's paired up with a Trevala rod, if I'm not mistaken. I haven't seen it yet though.

Augs and I are both very new to jigging and popping style of fishing. He's also into the distance casting stuff from Breakaway, which also incorporates smaller reels loaded with spectra and obviously all the magging and washer flipping.

It's fun for me to build a bunch of new custom rods, I just have to find a way to use all my old stuff thats pretty much mono only.