Is it wise to use circle hooks on jigs?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by BAOSABI, Oct 24, 2008.

1. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

When tying your own Assist hooks, is it wise to use circle hooks?:confused:

2. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

3. jig

jig Senior Member

There was an article in one of the fishing mags recently that someone had been using offset circles with success. I say no because you are usually moving a jig fast, and likely to pull the circle out before it can turn and lodge in corner of the mouth. However, long ago before assist hooks became the rage (and fancy jigs for that matter), I put a circle on the end of a diamond jig and did catch quite a few BkFT on it.

4. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Go for it Bao,

I never try it on jig, but have try it on plastic flying fish with great success.

5. papio

papio Senior Member

Yeah they work! My jigs are rigged with circles and js. Great for Ulua jigging in da islands. I recall Kilsong field tested with success also. Matter of getting use to it.

6. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

Maybe I was hasty in my "NO" opinion. What would be the advantage to using circle hooks on jigs?

I've never seen a fish gut-hooked with a J-hook on a jig.

None of the commercial assist hooks I've ever seen are circles.

7. shanker

shanker Senior Member

Im with Dick on this one....I think it would limit Hookups especially when catching bottom fish, I have foul hooked lots of our endangered Red Snapper when jigging.....Ive even foulhooked a Shark right in the Dorsal fin :dunno:

I use the pre-rigged Owner hooks myslef, and only 1 hook per jig...on my last outing the guys on the boat were asking me why I only had 1 assist hook on my jigs, and when one of the other guys got hooked trying to remove a jig, I calmly told him thats why I only use one hook...

8. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

Thanks for all the input guys.

9. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I have never tried them on jigs but I know from experience that when you try to set the hook with a circle you will miss all the fish, so I say while fast jigging it would seem to me to be impossible to hook up on a regular basis because alot of hits come on the upstroke while jig is rockin.

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i dont think its been tested extensively. i see how it would work, but havent had many complaints from myself or fish from using the 7/0 shout hooks.

trebles will likely be your best hookup ratio IMO.

11. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

i dont think its been tested extensively. i see how it would work, but havent had many complaints from myself or fish from using the 7/0 shout hooks.

trebles will likely be your best hookup ratio IMO.

you will lose more fish on treble hooks on jigs than on single hook jigs. treble hooks tend to hook fish just about anywhere and thus hooks pull under pressure. when jigging for blackfin tuna with trebles the catch ratio can be as low as 50 percent with trebles and just by changing to a single assist hook your catch raio can go up to 90 percent. your experiences may differ but this is what i have found.....rick