Is anyone out there?

Discussion in 'Billfish' started by j.g., Oct 27, 2006.

1. j.g.

j.g. Junior member

We need some activity on the marlin board it is way to lonely. I told Mcgolfer that i wish someone would get this puppy going. Then as only Rick could do and not get his house egged he reminded me that i had to CATCH a marlin before i could post about it. Nothing like crushing a man's ego. I will be sending him the bill for the counciling that is now required. So sence I havn't yet caught a marlin and not for the lack of money spent:mad: :mad: I am ready top take lessons from anyone wishing to bring me up to par:)

2. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I wasn't aware there was a Marlin board. Now I do. I love Marlin. Marlin fishing is why God put me on earth. There is nothing more exciting in life than to see that initial blowup and then the line screaming and drags smoking. I've caught a bunch. Whites, blues, stripes and only one black. Tuna fishing is great but nothing gets my heart pumping like a marlin.

Where do think my screen name "Mrbill" came from. My names not Bill.

3. j.g.

j.g. Junior member

I wasn't aware there was a Marlin board. Now I do. I love Marlin. Marlin fishing is why God put me on earth. There is nothing more exciting in life than to see that initial blowup and then the line screaming and drags smoking. I've caught a bunch. Whites, blues, stripes and only one black. Tuna fishing is great but nothing gets my heart pumping like a marlin.

Where do think my screen name "Mrbill" came from. My names not Bill.

Well... here is a virtual handshake Mr Bill.. You sound much nicer than that mean ole Mcgolfer. Where do you fish out of ???

4. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Hell, I've never landed a blackfin tuna, and until now, I've never owned a rig heavier than a Penn 318 on an Ugly Stick, and I've been making a fool out of myself posting on the tuna and tackle boards for a couple of weeks now.:)

Russ

5. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I love marlin fishing as well. I have had several hooked but never got one to the boat.. lots of sails but no marlin.. I plan on putting for a little more effort next year.

6. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

I have seen a few Marlin caught on tuna trips....

7. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Just for grins, what would be harder to land--a world record black marlin or a world record bluefin? Both are 1400 pounds and change, right?

8. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

2 different fish and 2 different types of fighters. pound for pound imho the tuna are stronger fish. however they don't put on the areial displays that the marlin are so famous for. i for one will never experience a 1400lb black marlin or a 1400lb giant bluefin tuna. i have caught a 400lb bluefin and a 400lb blue marlin and the tuna beat me up more than the marlin. the marlin never sounded so it really wasn't an apple to apples comparison. maybe one of the others that have caught both with chime in with their perspective...rick

9. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

The longest and hardest fight I ever had was a Black marlin. I believe it took me around 6 hours. It was caught on a 30W with 30 pound test line. It fought on the top the first 30 minutes and then sounded. It really wasn't that big. It hit the scales at 256kg's. I believe that around 550 pounds.

I've also had my face smashed against the transom when a drag locked up. I lost teeth on that trip. I've seen a bill go thru a deckhands forearm. I've also seen the skin of a forearm torn off by a bad wrap on a green fish.

10. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Mr. Bill: Well don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I stuck my finger on a barb one time taking a two pound bass off a Lucky 13. :) Seriously, I did have what the captain thought was a yellowfin on for about 20 minutes once before he spooled me and never looked back. I was younger then, and strong, and still felt like I had put a rope on the back of a fire engine.

Sheesh. That marlin action sounds more like a tour in Iraq than a fishing trip!

Russ

11. mozambik

mozambik Junior member

i was going over the internet the other day and found on a australian forum (i think) that they did a research among capts about this.

The results of top fighting fish were:

1-Swordfish
    2-YFTuna
    3-Black Marlin
    4-Blue Marlin

I never caught a swordie or a giant tuna, but i know how hard the regular ones fight, so i can imagine how much of fight a 600# tuna would give :eek:

Marlin is definately more excepting but same weight the tuna might be tuffer to catch (maybe because they dont get tired jumping?)

:)

12. Pointman

Pointman Junior member

well,J.G after seeing the 85lb yft bout kick your but......you best start pting again if you want to bring in a marlin!

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I agree with mcgolfer tuna is much stronger pound for pound.

[​IMG]

But you have to fight longer and harder if you use light drag whether you catch tuna or marlin.
    Dennis Braid shows he can land 400-500 lbs bluefin tuna in 15-30 minutes with proper technigues and heavy drag on standup.

14. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

The good and bad about marling fishing.
    a) By product catch while trolling. (tuna, hoos, dolphin)
    b) can be very boring on slow day.

I agree with the tuna on the pound for pound fighting. Amberjack might have to be considered on the pound for pound list also. But, tuna don't rip line off line a marlin. I think the speed on the marlin makes it so exciting. Most all of my tuna are caught by trolling durning the day. I've found that larger tuna in the gulf of Mexico come to the surface for feeding at random times durning the day. Seldom do you catch a YF trolling under 100 pounds.

Hey Ksong,
    I noticed you got on the Big E this next weekend (Nov 4). I can't believe that Cinco trip was cancelled. Seas are only 8' out there right now. I think it would have been fishable. I wanted to fish with you and Randy real bad. I could use some coaching on my jigging. Good luck with the weather next weekend and have a great time. Do you know anybody on the trip next weekend?

15. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Hey Ksong,
    I noticed you got on the Big E this next weekend (Nov 4). I can't believe that Cinco trip was cancelled. Seas are only 8' out there right now. I think it would have been fishable. I wanted to fish with you and Randy real bad. I could use some coaching on my jigging. Good luck with the weather next weekend and have a great time. Do you know anybody on the trip next weekend?
    I had the same thought. Wind direction was favorable (N and NW).
    We fished 6-8 ft on the 55' private boat when wind was blowing NW 20 -25 knot at Hudson canyon last week.

As soon as I saw someone wanted to sell his spot on the Big E trip, I called immediately. :) I had to use my airline ticket anyway as it is nonrefundable. Fortunately there was no airfare differences and I only had to pay $30 for penaly of rescheduling.
    On the Cinco trip, I was planning to stick to jigging as there are too many popping fishermen. I am hoping I can cast poppers freely on the upcoming Big E trip. This is kind of scouting trip for the possible Big E charter next year.
    If we charter the Big E for two or three days next year, I'd like to limit to 25-30 guys though the increased fare next year can be obstacle.

16. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I was also a scout on the Cinco trip. I have a group of guys that I fish with, and I was the one they trusted to give an honest scouting report. We want to book the Big E for a five day trip (if Capt. Elliots would do it) with about a dozen guys. If your scouting trip is favorable and you need a body to make 25 people, don't hesitate to PM me. I'll jump on it in a second. Have a great trip and welcome to Texas where the weather changes on a daily basis. We had a heat index of 96 here in San Antonio on Thursday. It's nice and sunny today. Feels like free air conditioning outside.

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

OK, I'll give you my honest and objective opinion after trip.
    If I can not charter the Big E, I could join any Big E charter with limited load next year if the trip does not conflict with my fishing trip planned.
    I know the boat is big, but 40 guys are simply too many. :)

It isn't easy to persuade guys in our area to justifly the Big E charges next year as there are lots of competition among party boats in our area.
    My friend chartered the 140' Viking Starship out of Montauk, NY a few days ago for 84 hour trip for tile/cod/wreck fish trip.
    The Viking Starship is as big as the Big E (same 140') and they travel to 150 - 200 miles as the Big E does. The only difference is the Viking is not new and does not run as fast as the Big E.
    Do you know how much they charge ? You wouldn't believe it.

$460 each and the trip is limited only 27 guys. And there is no fuel surcharge. :)
    It is 3 1/2 day trip !!!
    Obviously the trip is sold out in a few days even though the trip is planned in June, 2007. You need some competition down there. :)

18. BigMike

BigMike Member

I'll pass on the board info to all on my list!
    Sometimes the Marlinnut got a little too exclusive and mean. Nice to see a board fopr the regular guys.
    We have a small group of notables that hang online together, they will show up shortly.
    BigMike

19. j.g.

j.g. Junior member

I'll pass on the board info to all on my list!
    Sometimes the Marlinnut got a little too exclusive and mean. Nice to see a board fopr the regular guys.
    We have a small group of notables that hang online together, they will show up shortly.
    BigMike

That would be great:D As noted some boards my have got away from the main reason that we come to these boards that is two share knowledge and friendship. i realy look foward to being part of this board and fishing with some of it's fellow addicts. :) :)

20. Dr Jeff

Dr Jeff Member

One of the biggest thrills is watching a good friennd catch the fish of a lifetime. A few years ago in Kona, it was my buddy's turn in the chair.& this 14',500 lb blue heads for Japan w/ the jet-head. I'm taking pics w/the 35 motordrive as it's jumping out the back door 1200 yds w/80# attached to an 80w hanging from it's lip, & the line man pouring water on the reel to cool. I haven't caught a yft yet,but it would be hard to beat that experiece.BTw: Tioni J udd was screaming at me the whole time to get the Fing outriggers in.

21. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

My names not Bill.

mine either