Inshore Spanish/Pompano Rod Build

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Jason4606, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Not a blue water rod, but my first full build...:eek:

Gluing up Moosegrip pieces and Fuji soft-touch reel seat
    [​IMG]

Shaping the foam and first trim wraps
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check piece and wrapping the NIA Titanium A-frame stripper
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished product
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii193/Jason4606/Spanish%20Rod%20Build/DSC_0537.jpg

Blank is Rainshadow RX7 IP844. The action is a little light for what I wanted, but appears very well built and very light. It's 7' long and balances right where the reel seat meets the foregrip with 2500 Daiwa. Only weight added is the solid rubber butt cap.

I struggled trying to get the epoxy perfect. I'm going to try Diamond Two next time to see if the longer set time might help a little.

But I enjoyed building it, and learning along the way. And overall, I'm happy with the outcome. (Thanks Freddy for answering so many questions!)

Next one is King/Cobia rod, then it's time to start on the jigging rods.:)

Later,
    Jason

2. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

how was the learning curve? i want to build some inshore rods too.

3. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

That is an awesome first build!!!!

4. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Jason, you're doing great for the first rod.
    I like it simple and clean design.
    Next is King/Cobia rod before the season start........

You gotta test that rod soon, I might going next two weeks chasing pompano at Destin.

5. Jason4606

Thanks guys!

Learning wasn't bad Andrew... I re-wrapped a Daiwa Catalina Stick that had two chipped SiC Titanium guides first. :mad: So I re-did some of the thread-work on that one several times before I got some of the basic methods down.

Freddy helped me a lot with questions on what to buy, how to start, etc... From there it really wasn't bad at all.

I started on inshore because blanks are cheap! Didn't want to mess up my jigging blanks! ;)

6. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Looks good Jason. You must have a wonderful wife to let you shape those grips in the dining room.

d-a

7. Jason4606

LMAO!!! I was going to mention that, but figured somebody would notice!!! :) :)

That is staging room for all of my tackle before trips too! Power wrapper is still there and I have 3 rods and 2 blanks leaning in the corner right now for some work...

Gotta love her!

Jason

8. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

ill need a full list of what to buy. i wish you guys lived closer. ill be strarting from the ground up. when you get time shoot me a pm please. thanks

Andrew

9. LST-Ray

LST-Ray Junior member

That rod is "Clean & Neat" ... very well built. I really like the shaped grips.

10. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Looks good Jason. Where did you get the Moosegrip?

11. Jason4606

Thanks much for comments!!

Feeder - It's actually called Mooseskin, my mistake... Got it from Johnny's Pond. (Not the quickest place in the world to deal with.)

Later!
    Jason

12. bingfish

bingfish Senior Member

Wow! Great job on a first build. My first few were not that neat. Great shaping of the eva. What tools did you use? Keep at the epoxy, it just takes practice ( no matter the brand ) and dont forget the heat. It's a life saver. Congrats!

13. red34

red34 Guest

Good looking build. I love the simplicity and the split grip. I'd also like to know what tools you used to shape the grips. I need to learn how to do that so I'm not tied down by the shapes offered.

14. Jason4606

I turned the grips on my power wrapper. (Would be nice to have dedicated lathe to keep the wrapper clean!)

I used 150-grit sanding screen to rough shape then 300-grit sand paper for final smoothing. Sanding screen is a must for bulk of the work, as paper loads up way too fast! (I could never get all of the grooves from the mesh out. So final smoothing was done with fine grit paper.;))

Then I just wrapped small pieces of both around various things I had laying around. Definitely NOT high tech!!

I made a small (approx. 1"x1"x4") sanding block out of folded packing foam and masking tape for large flat areas. Then I used a knitting needle for small curves, (nice because it's tapered and can give just about any radius) and a couple deep-well sockets for the larger ones. Then I just used the same scrap pieces of braid to cut the small accent grooves. (also used to cut the grip pieces)

I have a set of cheapo jewelers files that should be useful cutting different shapes too. Just don't remember using them...

Thanks!
    Jason

15. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Looks good Jason, your on a roll now. You gona gona go to High Point NC w us?

16. Jason4606

Thanks Jim! Don't know anything about NC trip.... pm details.

Later!
    Jason

17. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

18. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Jason,
    Me and Jim planning to go at the Expo this Saturday.

Here's the link:
    The International Custom Rod Building Exposition

Man, I forgot all about the show!!:mad: :mad: That is one thing I had wanted to do!:mad: :mad: You all have fun and keep me updated on what is new!!

19. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

I used 150-grit sanding screen to rough shape then 300-grit sand paper for final smoothing. Sanding screen is a must for bulk of the work, as paper loads up way too fast! (I could never get all of the grooves from the mesh out. So final smoothing was done with fine grit paper.;))

Thanks!
    Jason

Jason,
    Try to hold the sanding screen at diagonal with light pressure.
    That's all I have and used is HVAC sanding screen to clean copper pipe :)

20. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Man, I forgot all about the show!!:mad: :mad: That is one thing I had wanted to do!:mad: :mad: You all have fun and keep me updated on what is new!!

Scott,
    You must come at the Expo if you're into rod building hobby (I know you do ;) )

You will meet with all the rod builder guru and learned a lot of new trick.
    And the good part is will be a lot of good deal on the rod building parts and blanks :)