360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

inshore Port A this weekend??

3K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  MrBill 
#1 ·
I will be in Port A may 1-6 for some family vacationing.. Does anyone have any recent inshore/surf reports or suggestions.? We will hit packery and the port A jetties, as well as the surf(if its not too rough and windy) IF the fishing is bad, you can find us at the Back porch bar.. (We will probably be there if its good too) If any of you guys will be down there, you're welcome to join us.. Post up... I am not leaving until Wed night..

#2 ·
They are catching trout on the jetties. This is a good time for the jetties, you might catch a ling, jack, or tarpon and this is probably the best month of the year for trout. I live in Port A so let me know when you'll be on the Back Porch and I'll come down and drink a beer with you.

#5 ·
Thanks Nate, I used to fish the north jetty after the cold fronts would push through and would tear up the trout.... Not sure which night we wont be at the back porch.... I will try and post up and let yall know.. I havent seen many of the Corpus area crew in a while.. Would like to get the inside info on the trout..

#6 ·
Bret, I think Jack Crevelle are thick in the surf in May. Great topwater action for them. Try the Mirrolure SheDog in (84) CHROME/GREEN/ORANGE. That was the hot bait when I fished with Billy Sandifer about 5 years ago. Here is a species fish and best time to fish chart from Billy's website Surf Light Tackle - Surf Shark F

#7 ·
I'll make a couple of phone calls tomorrow to find out where the inshore fishing action is taking place. I heard last week, that the Jack's have showed up inshore. Ling are also starting to show up. Those smoker Kings will be at the end of the jetties and day now. The short run usually last about 10 days. Some of those smoker kings will hit the 50# range.

I'll be offshore in a couple of weeks with 75 to 90 guys from SA if the seas are less than 6-8's. If it's to rough, we'll just drink on the beach, party on boats anchored in the L.A. channel and raise hell at sharky's at night.:D

#9 ·
The story of my whole life has been getting spooled by big jacks at the jetties. I'm like Captain Ahab and the white freaking whale. One of the sidelights of my acquiring heavy duty popping tackle (and sometimes I think subconciously, the primary reason) is to get revenge on Jack Crevalle. To hell with tuna. I've got an OTI 7 footer, paired with a Twinspin and 65 pound braid that is gonna put a hurt on those bastards.

Russ

#10 ·
Thanks Nate, I used to fish the north jetty after the cold fronts would push through and would tear up the trout.... Not sure which night we wont be at the back porch.... I will try and post up and let yall know.. I havent seen many of the Corpus area crew in a while.. Would like to get the inside info on the trout..

Bret .... I watch the corpusfishing.com beard regularly for reports and lately I haven't seen much in the way of trout with all the wind we've had. No wind today though. Maybe it will pick up by the time you get here. The seaweed in the surf is bad so the north jettiesnorth Packery jetties may be the best option.

You need a beach parking permit to fish the Packery jetties.

Suggestions .....

Take jetty boat over to north jetties. Catch PP to use on a depthfinder cork rig or lemon cork rig. But watch for big reds and jacks.

Either Bob Hall or Horace Caldwell pier late night/early AM with live shrimp for specks if the water is good.

Bottom fishing on the jetties or piers during day with the biggest white squid you can find and you might get a Ling.

My own availability for Back Porch activity....

Thurs .... no

Friday ....... anytime

Sat .... After 3 PM

Sunday ..... after 1 PM

Monday .... anytime

Tuesday .... anytime

#11 ·
The story of my whole life has been getting spooled by big jacks at the jetties. I'm like Captain Ahab and the white freaking whale. One of the sidelights of my acquiring heavy duty popping tackle (and sometimes I think subconciously, the primary reason) is to get revenge on Jack Crevalle. To hell with tuna. I've got an OTI 7 footer, paired with a Twinspin and 65 pound braid that is gonna put a hurt on those bastards.

Russ

I've been spooled several times by big jacks while fishing the jetties for trout/reds with an Garcia/Amb 6000 .... :p

#12 ·

Russ

Speaking of strong inshore fish i have an appointment to kill a tripletail in matagorda with Lee Warmke on June 12th. I think im going to use my OTI 7ft/Stella 8k (or smaller stella) as well. HalfBreed FishingwithLee.com

#14 ·
My own availability for Back Porch activity....

Thurs .... no

Friday ....... anytime

Sat .... After 3 PM

Sunday ..... after 1 PM

Monday .... anytime

Tuesday .... anytime

We will be at the Back porch on Friday evening just before DArk....:eek:

#15 ·
LEXPRO: I too want to fish for tripletail, having never caught one (and I have heard they are excellent table fare.) When I retire to the coast that is going to be one of my first projects. Having played with both the Stella 8K and the 5K, I think the latter would be up to the job. From my reading, I picture the fish as kind of like an undersized grouper--powerful but no long runs--that you fish for like you would ling, around pipes, piers, and buoys--and I have one of my 5K spools lined with 40 pound braid and the other with 30, which I think would do the trick. Let us know how it goes.

Russ

#17 ·
I'll try to get there around 7 - 7:30 PM. I have to be at work at 6 AM Saturday morning so I'll prolly be gone by 9:30 - 10:00 PM.

Anyone else? Nate? Tom?

Tunaheads?:rolleyes:

Hmmmmm .... and maybe not. That's a long drive for me. And I hate to be the only one at a party....:p

#20 ·
Too early too tell yet. I might make it, depends on how bad they treat me at work on Friday.

DBG

I hear ya Tom .... They're wanting me to come in to work today on my day off.

I'm gonna try to be there around 7 PM. If I'm not then I probably had to go to work.

Pshoooey! As windy as it is out there Bret may start a little earlier. Like about noon....:D

#22 ·
Hey It was nice seeing all of you guys friday night at the back porch...(Richard,Jerry,Tom, Nate and Bobby) Not much to report on the fishing.. My daughter caught the biggest hardhead and a few whiting..
We fished hard for 4 days and had nothing to show but some windburn and a little suntan.. If that wind doesnt stop blowing, Us offshore guys are going to go completely batshit crazy!!

#23 ·
Who's heading out of Port A this Memorial weekend. Seas look to be a little on the mean side Saturday.(5-6s) I'm giving it a shot both Sat and Sunday. Sunday is for-casted 4-5s. This time I might head South (if do-able) to find cleaner water. The problem with heading South is you get beat up running straight into the seas.

#25 ·
Good luck and post a report..

I had some equipment problems in the rough seas. Both tackle and boat equipment.:mad: Seas were not nice at all. Saturday was solid 6's. Sunday was a little better but still not pleasant. Monday, (Memorial Day) which I didn't plan on going out, turned out to be the worst day of all. I went out to help a friend do some testing on his boat. We busted more than we fixed.:eek:

Basically, I got the living DO-DO beat out of me for three days.:eek: I hurt all over from my head to my big toe. Along with having enough salt water sprayed into my face to last a lifetime I am very sore today. I did catch some fish but also broke some nice tackle and electronics. I'm also a little tee-ed off at the high fuel prices, as I have bought over 670 gallons of fuel the last two weekends just to get a fishing fix. The worst thing is I haven't seen blue water in straight weekends. That really sucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.