Innovative new Everol 12/20 lever drag prototype jigging reel

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Apr 5, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

As you know, Chirs (tunatoys) is a reel gru, but he is somewhat different from other reel experts. He is very creative and is constantly looking for new things in the reel like an inventor.
    Now, he invented a lever drag reel with push-down freespool. The problem of a lever drag reel is you have to push down drag lever all the way to free spool position to change depth or release more lines, but we can make freespool by pushing button as you change gear on two speed reel. It makes lever drag reels as convenient as star drag reels.
    I am going to test the prototype Everol 12/20 in Panama trip.

Everol is not fancy, but the reels are known for strength and durability. Tunatoys said Everol 12/20 which is Accurate 665 size uses 12 mm anti-reverse bearing while bigger Accurate B2 30 uses 10 mm anti-revers bearing. :eek: They did a good job to reduce weight on new Everol 12/20 without sacrifying strength. It weighs 29.5 oz same as Accurate BX2. However, it seems they still doesn't pay much attention to appearance. I told tunatoys they have to have more functional and fancy handle to attract fishermen. :)
    Anyway, I am going to install JM power handle on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

size comparison with Accurate 665 two-speed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

hate to be a critic, but i personally don't like the handle being so far offset to to the side of the reel on a conventional....... that's why i've bot allot o'single speeds insteada two-speeds

good idea and good lookin' reel tho!

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

hate to be a critic, but i personally don't like the handle being so far offset to to the side of the reel on a conventional....... that's why i've bot allot o'single speeds insteada two-speeds

good idea and good lookin' reel tho!
    Me too, but there is not much choice because gear is big.
    The handle position of Everol 12/20 is almost same as Accurate 665.
    For tuna jigging, it doesn't bother me much as I don't have to crank fast.

Here is pictures with JM power handle.
    It looks it is different reel with JM fancy handle. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

kil can you bring me one??? or maybe a new accurate....either way :)

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

kil can you bring me one??? or maybe a new accurate....either way :)
    I'll bring prototype Everol 12/20 two-speed for testing too. You can test the reel. . Everol reels are really like tanks. See the thickness of prototype Everol reel compared with Accurate 665. It is because the thicknes of gear they are using. Compare the sizes of gear shfting button between two reels.
    No reels are stronger than Everol reels for their size.

[​IMG]

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

ok great, i cant wait to use it :). i wanted to try the older models as well, but held back. the new bx2-600 looks like a great reel too, hopefully everything is fixed with the gearing. if so, it'll be an awesome reel.

how heavy is the 12/20?

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

how heavy is the 12/20?
    The prototype single speed weighs 29.5 lbs and two-speed weighs 31.5 lbs.
    The max drag of the reels are 40 lbs. :eek:

8. jakers

jakers Guest

Wow! those things are heavy duty.

9. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

That is a great idea!! I hope it works great!

Scott

10. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

I thought my Tiburon SST30/80 was heavy at 37 oz (ounces).

I am looking forward to reading your field report Kil and Bret.
    I am in the market for a new level-drag jigging reel, and if it have innovative features then all the better.

P.S.
    The JM handle does make it look better and lighter. Also a different color would make it look better. Maybe black powder coat of the frame, while leaving the side plates gold.

Ty

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I thought my Tiburon SST30/80 was heavy at 37 oz (ounces).

I am looking forward to reading your field report Kil and Bret.
    I am in the market for a new level-drag jigging reel, and if it have innovative features then all the better.

P.S.
    The JM handle does make it look better and lighter. Also a different color would make it look better. Maybe black powder coat of the frame, while leaving the side plates gold.

Ty
    I thought Italians are very good at fashion and design, but apparently Everol guys are not. Their only concern is to make the most durable and strongest reels.

12. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

I thought Italians are very good at fashion and design, but apparently Everol guys are not. Their only concern is to make the most durable and strongest reels.

Kil,

I agree with you. Of course durability and strength must take precedent over fashion in deep jigging. But damn it!!! I want to look good while doing it! :D

How do you think this will compare against the Baker 4 (another 2-speed reel I have my eye on)?

Ty

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

it! :D

How do you think this will compare against the Baker 4 (another 2-speed reel I have my eye on)?

Ty
    Very hard to tell as both reels have many things common.