360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Inexpensive spinning rod

14K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  TomH 
#1 ·
Hello,
I’m looking for an inexpensive spinning rod for my 10000 Saragosa. I would like to use the same rod for jigging and popping. I’m fishing for yellowfin and small bluefin, most fish under 60 lbs.
Any reccomendations? Id like to keep it under 150 if possible and anything under that would be great.

#8 ·
Penn Rampage Jigging Spinning Fishing Rod
6'4" med heavy
About $80

I've taken some nice fish with this rod. I do like my fancy rods better but there is no question that the Penn rod works good. Pair it with a 10K Saragosa and it can be a good starter setup. It won't throw near as far as a 7'6" or 8' popping rod but at 6'4" it does ok. It's fine for jigging.

:)

#13 ·
Since you have a nice reel, I would try to match it with a nice rod. I like the Shimano Tallus Blue Water $169 and I've been thinking of getting the Penn CARBWII4080S76 Carnage rod. It's 7'6" made for popping $199. Best wishes.
I think I'm gonna get the tallus in the 6 foot 9. Should I go with a medium heavy or medium for the 10000? Running 50 lb braid

#16 · (Edited)
Drinkware Stemware Liquid Barware Purple
Feather Pink Magenta Natural material Art
Musical instrument Light Brass instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument
Product Office supplies Font Line Writing implement
Drinkware Stemware Liquid Barware Purple
Feather Pink Magenta Natural material Art
Musical instrument Light Brass instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument
Product Office supplies Font Line Writing implement
aloha, we sell some very nice 5'6" carbon blend spinning rods with alps blue anodized real seats and gimbal and pac-bay guides, rated for 80lb. braid.
$145 i use these personally for jigging/ chunking and casting. the 5'6" length is great on boats as its not as unwieldy as longer rods, and i can typically cast a unweighted 7" popper about 150' + easy' can see and buy at reelhookedhawaii.com
or email me direct at reelhooked@hawaii.rr.com if you have any questions.
and while your there check out some of our new custom made lures, that feature real hand laid gold leaf eyes. under the lures/bahama/reel hooked tab
aloha - mike

#17 ·
A thought... If you are looking to spend around 150, why not get two used sticks and switch the reel?

Potentially an Ugly Stick Tiger or Star jigging rod for ~$80 (probably could find a deal) and unsure about the popping stuff (don't do much of it).

I do agree with some other members about having a nice reel and wanting a nice rod. Thought here is if you are doing it occasionally see if you like it and then upgrade accordingly.

#23 · (Edited)
Every rod I’ve tried to buy recently has been out of stock everywhere. the fiblink rods on Amazon are cheap. I have one thats 80-120 range For jigging and it’s nice but haven’t tried it yet, seems a little heavy tho. I Bought the Okiaya sistana spinning rod which is very light and hopefully its good because I bought two. They are $115 shipped to your door for whatever they have left in stock. Good luck inventories are low.

#25 ·
I have used the Shakespeare tiger light for jogging and had to use it once when I broke my pooping rod. I could cast a Halco with it almost as far as I did with my popping rod. They run $69 so I would get one for jogging and then get another rod for popping...
Even the Ugly Stik Tigers are running low everywhere. My buddy just got one from Tackle Direct last week. They had over 10 in stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.