Inexpensive spinning rod

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Thehammer, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Thehammer

Thehammer Member

Hello,
    I’m looking for an inexpensive spinning rod for my 10000 Saragosa. I would like to use the same rod for jigging and popping. I’m fishing for yellowfin and small bluefin, most fish under 60 lbs.
    Any reccomendations? Id like to keep it under 150 if possible and anything under that would be great.

2. Shallowminded31

Shallowminded31 Active Member

Inexpensive is relative. How much is that to you?

3. Thehammer

Thehammer Member

I’d like to spend under $150 and anything under that would be great.

cubanfishermar likes this.
  4. Shallowminded31

Yup, that's inexpensive.

I would suggest looking for a used rod rather than finding a new rod for that.

If you're going to use it for jigging and popping equally I'd error on the popping side. Maybe a decent boat rod.
    Used Star paraflex maybe?

Gonefishings likes this.
  5. Thehammer

Thehammer Member

If it’s really worth it I can spend more, I’d just rather not.

6. r00kieAngler

r00kieAngler Junior member

Most jigging rods are less than 6ft but can get away with 6'6. Length is not ideal for popping and jigging rods aren't that great for casting. I think you need to separate rods for this type of fishing. Buy used to get to your budget.

jiggingnut likes this.
  7. esgeo

esgeo Active Member

Okuma Cruz popping mh is a decent stick just north of $150 normally, but you can find for less on occasion.

8. jpgrfan

jpgrfan Well-Known Member

Penn Rampage Jigging Spinning Fishing Rod
    6'4" med heavy
    About $80

I've taken some nice fish with this rod. I do like my fancy rods better but there is no question that the Penn rod works good. Pair it with a 10K Saragosa and it can be a good starter setup. It won't throw near as far as a 7'6" or 8' popping rod but at 6'4" it does ok. It's fine for jigging.

:)

jiggingnut likes this.
  9. Thehammer

Thehammer Member

Is the Shimano Tallus any good? Looking at the 6 foot 9.

10. manu

manu Active Member

The Tallus Bluewater is a good rod in its price range. Pulled 3 yellowfin in Panama, the third on 185+lbs without any problem.

11. Reel Stamas

Reel Stamas Senior Member

As above... Any rod capable of Jigging & Popping won't do either well...

12. CrucianMike

CrucianMike Junior member

Since you have a nice reel, I would try to match it with a nice rod. I like the Shimano Tallus Blue Water $169 and I’ve been thinking of getting the Penn CARBWII4080S76 Carnage rod. It’s 7’6” made for popping $199. Best wishes.

13. Thehammer

Thehammer Member

I think I’m gonna get the tallus in the 6 foot 9. Should I go with a medium heavy or medium for the 10000? Running 50 lb braid

14. Shallowminded31

Really would depend on the popping you're wanting to do. How much will you be throwing?
    As far as fitting the reel it I think the MH would be a better fit.

15. Thehammer

Thehammer Member

Another question, could I go down to 40 lb braid? Could it handle the size tuna that I’m going for?

16. Mike Marchetti

Mike Marchetti Member

image2.jpeg IMG_8777.JPG IMG_8781.JPG Firefox_Screenshot_2018-08-21T21-39-03.639Z.png image2.jpeg IMG_8777.JPG IMG_8781.JPG Firefox_Screenshot_2018-08-21T21-39-03.639Z.png aloha, we sell some very nice 5'6" carbon blend spinning rods with alps blue anodized real seats and gimbal and pac-bay guides, rated for 80lb. braid.
    $145 i use these personally for jigging/ chunking and casting. the 5'6" length is great on boats as its not as unwieldy as longer rods, and i can typically cast a unweighted 7" popper about 150' + easy' can see and buy at reelhookedhawaii.com
    or email me direct at [email protected] if you have any questions.
    and while your there check out some of our new custom made lures, that feature real hand laid gold leaf eyes. under the lures/bahama/reel hooked tab
    aloha - mike

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    esgeo likes this.
  17. loomis1

loomis1 Member

A thought... If you are looking to spend around 150, why not get two used sticks and switch the reel?

Potentially an Ugly Stick Tiger or Star jigging rod for ~$80 (probably could find a deal) and unsure about the popping stuff (don't do much of it).

I do agree with some other members about having a nice reel and wanting a nice rod. Thought here is if you are doing it occasionally see if you like it and then upgrade accordingly.

18. camwalsh7

camwalsh7 New Member

Which model was it?

19. cubanfishermar

cubanfishermar Senior Member

academy they can help you

20. JohnnyMax

JohnnyMax Active Member