Inexpensive Popping Rod???......

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Bill Fisher, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

i've got the jigging and chunking schtuff covered....... now i need help finding an inexpensive rod for casting poppers and other topwaters

i'd like something with some backbone but still castable...... what?... 50 to 80# class? (dunno nuttin'bout'em)..... 6' 6" too short?.... hopefully around 7' at-the-most but definitely nothing over 7'6"

i plan on using 65lb line....... (is 80lb too much for popping?)

does such a critter exist for around a $100 more-r-less?........

this is just gonna be for fun and to round out my jigging and chunking setups...... i don't need anything top-o'the-line...... just a little sumpin to play with

TIA

2. Riptide

Riptide Banned

For just over $100 the 7'0" St Croix SW Priemer 20-40# is a great rod. For under $100 the 7' Ugly Stick Tiger 20-50# is a damn good rod for the cash.

3. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Bill,

The Fin Nor Offshore is a pretty nice rod for popping. 7 feet, gimbal butt, plenty of backbone, and right at $100. Are you popping for Bluefin Tuna, or other species? If you are planning on casting to Bluefin I would go with 80lb. spectra.

4. Bill Fisher

5. Bill Fisher

The Fin Nor Offshore is a pretty nice rod for popping. 7 feet, gimbal butt, plenty of backbone, and right at $100.

just looked at it and it's available where i'll be ordering 2 other rods.... but they say it's a 20 to 50lb class rod

that's not too light?

6. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Bill,

A friend of mine uses one as his Bluefin Tuna jigging / popping rod. He runs 65 lb. braid and 18 lbs. of drag. The rod handles that with no problem.

7. jig

jig Senior Member

I use the Roddy Gatortail 7' rated to 80#. It is stout and a tad heavy, but I can put the wood to YFT. $39 at acadamy.

8. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

9. Muddskipper

Muddskipper Senior Member

The words inexpensive and offshore fishing really don't go together .... but you know that..

Here we are chunking $20 - $50 topwaters, and looking to save a buck on the main back bone to get the fish in.

About the cheapest Rod I have seen, is the Spinning rod that FTU makes for $169 .... it has a lifetime warrenty, unless they think you abused it......

Anything cheaper is just not worth the battle, the lost fish, and not being able to get it in, in a good amount of time.

I have one I picked up used, as my back up, to my custom Savage Calstar topwater special.:cool:

10. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

What Terry said on the Ugly Stick Tiger. People use it for catching tuna.

11. Bill Fisher

thanx all...... the fin nor's a possibility and i could have it shipped with the two others and i found a place that had the ugly stick tiger in a 7' 30-60# that sounds interesting but before anything i'll go by academy and see if they have one o'those Roddy Gatortails in 7' rated to 80# for me to check out and i'll see if i can find that rod FTU makes on their website (no store near me)

the tiger stick sure has gotten alotta good reviews but i'd like to get my hands on one first to check it out......... spooky cheap, but what-with mass production and all maybe that's the biggest reason it's so cheap

i've already got a huge piece o'bamboo but it's dedicated to crawfishing

12. TS18997

TS18997 Senior Member

Bill, Im just getting into the offshore side of fishing and picked up a Fin Nor 9500 reel/Offshore rod combo. I will be using it next weekend on the Scat Cat. I know the 9500 got bad reviews on durability but I could not pass up the combo price. Will let you know how the rod holds up.

13. Bill Fisher

Will let you know how the rod holds up.

please do........

14. Bill Fisher

oops!....... and good luck!

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i'll see if i can find that rod FTU makes on their website (no store near me)

for what its worth, i am not impressed with those rods at all. its not a "popping" rod as far as im concerned.

16. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

what about those bucarra rods by g loomis? i guess they arent inexpensive either. sorry.

17. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

what about those bucarra rods by g loomis? i guess they arent inexpensive either. sorry.

Bucara is nice but well over $200 clams to get one of those. Take a look at the Okuma Cedros jigging line of rods. $100 and they come with premium components all Alps guides, Alps reel triangular reel seat, nice grips etc. I have the 50-100 lb. spin and 80-200 lb. conventional. They have been fine for fish in the 100-130 lb. class anything bigger than that and they are bit light. They have a newer conventional that is much more stout but you want a spinner. I would check them out and see if they have an even heavier spinrod out now. CJS-701MH seems to be the heaviest they have but I think that is the one I have and it is a great stick for the money if you are not targeting huge fish over 150 lbs.

okumafishing.com Rods » Cedros Speed Jig » Spinning

18. jig

jig Senior Member

Unless they have changed them very recently, the Tigers don't have gimbels, and they have SS guides.

19. Bill Fisher

Unless they have changed them very recently, the Tigers don't have gimbels, and they have SS guides.

i noticed that.... (and am gonna pass because of the guides)

the okuma spinning rods looks nice..... 'specially the 7' 50-100 if i can find a dealer on the net that has one with a gimballed butt

dang!, i hate going cheap but i can't really justify top-o'the-line schtuff unless i start making more 125 miles runs to the nearest rigs...... and i don't see that happening anytime soon

i can always upgrade if that happens and save the semi-cheap stuff for guests on shorter billfish runs in case i come across some tuna feeding on top

20. jig

jig Senior Member

I hear ya. When I upgrade (if I upgrade), I am likely going to get an OTI 7 1/2. But until then, I have been very pleasantly surprised with the Roddy. I probably have had it 3 years, and landed two dozen or so nice YFT up to just under 100lbs, and tons of BkFT. At $39 ($29 during a rod riot!) you cannot go wrong. It is a tad heavy, so it does not load up with lighter baits, but for 3oz up it does fine. I am not a big guy, and have not seen a gym in 20 years, and I cast it with a Spheros 14000 for hours on end. If you don't like it, throw it away, or I'll give you $15 for it.:D

BTW, IMO there is a difference between buying an inexpensive product that works and "going cheap." The Roddy so far has worked fine; the 60#ish YFT I caught two weeks ago was tail wrapped and I drug him backwards from under the boat in a matter of minutes. We thought he was a Blackfin the whole time until his tail popped up from under the hull. You can pull on the fish with this rod.