Inexpensive 2-Piece Popping Rod

Discussion in 'Charter Boat & Party Boat' started by Mpro2, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

Hey all, just looking for advice on a cheaper, but sufficient 2 piece popping rod, and I only mean 2 piece like the kind that fits the rod shaft into the handle fore grip. I have an Okuma jigging rod like this. I cannot fit any section more than 6.5 foot in the back of my truck. I have looked at Tsunami Carbon Shield 2, Penn Carnage 2, Heart Bloody Popping, etc. All have been about 7.5ft or longer, rated for 40-80lb braid, and around $200 or less. Any suggestions? Thank you!

2. dspencer

dspencer Active Member

Okuma Cruz popping rod is a white, lightweight popping rod that is about 175 dollars. It will work for the gulf yellowfins we go after.
    The medium rod is 7'6" and the medium heavy and heavy are both 7'9". We like the MH.

Mpro2 likes this.

3. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

I have looked at the Cruz popping rods, but they do not seem to be available anymore. There seems to be quite a shortage all around on less expensive rods lately. I can get the Penn Carnage for about $180, but nothing else that is 2-piece is to be found. Thanks!

4. jpgrfan

jpgrfan Well-Known Member

5. ranger-dude

ranger-dude Member

I put a stress fracture on a Cruz MH on a BIG YFT on GPB. My buddy Broke his Cruz M in half on a YFT -and lost the fish. The Cruz had a Lifetime Warranty - so 'traded up' for $50 to the Okuma Hawaiian Custom Popping Rod MH - 2 piece rod, with a thicker backbone than Cruz and casts within 5 foot distance of the Cruz with same line/reel. If the requirement is less than 6.5 feet & 2 piece spinning rod (rod part slides into the handle) capable of 50-100lb line, the Hawaiian is what your looking for. They retail for $250 - just a little over your budget.

esgeo and Mpro2 like this.
  6. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

Okay, yeah I took another look at the Okuma Hawaiian popping rod, and did consider it the other day while looking at Tackle Direct. They are unavailable now on their site. Really considering the Penn Carnage 2 for $180 with 10% off coupon, and free shipping, dry bag and bait towel though...

7. AndrewMarek

AndrewMarek Active Member

This gentlemen posted in another thread and has some experience with the Carnage line in the field (I would think the 7’6” he refers to is a 2 piece based on Penn’s website) and you might try IMing him. The guys on Bloody Decks use Carnage’s a bit. I have a 7’ carnage boat rod and a 6’6” jigging but have not taken fish with them. Lifted some weights with them but no way I could give real live fishing input.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Mpro2 likes this.
  8. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

Thank you. I will check that out.

9. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

Okay, so I went with the Tackle Direct deal on the Penn Carnage popping rod after a lot of research. I got about $230 worth of merchandise for $180 and free shipping. I have a Carnage jigging rod that gets the job done, so I'm kind of aware of what to expect with it. Thanks all for the advise!

10. Ulygun

Ulygun Member

@Mpro2, not meaning to hijack your thread, but I too am on the same boat, no pun intended. I too went with a 7'6" Penn Carnage, just curious as to how your experience was with this rod and what size reel and # line did you end up using? How was the overall experience.

Thanks in advance...

11. redgarvey

redgarvey Member

7500 or 8500 or 8500HS Penn Slammer III 65 braid
    Saragosa SW 14k or 20k
    Daiwa Saltist 6500 or 8000

12. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

Well, I just received the rod a couple of days ago, and it may be a while before I get it set up properly. I have an Okuma Andros Z-90 reel that I will put on it, but planning on changing the #65 J-braid to possibly #65 Maxcuatro or something similar in diameter. Scuba had suggested using #50 Seaguar Threadlock, but man that stuff is expensive! Although, the Maxcuatro is not much less expensive either. Btw, that 7'6 Carnage seems pretty decent for the price. Thanks

fillet2release likes this.
  13. redgarvey

redgarvey Member

Seaguar Threadlock if you are slicing end loop and joining 'loop to loop' topshot connection

Otherwise your 65# J-braid is a high quality 8 carrier braid recommended in white
    Use what you got. Make sure line has been reeled on tight so it will not dig into itself

fillet2release and Ulygun like this.
  14. Ulygun

Ulygun Member

15. redgarvey

redgarvey Member

16. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I will say one thing that comes from nearly 40 years of tuna fishing experience.
    If you're trying to do it "on the cheap", you will fail miserably.
    DO NOT skimp on quality just because the price is a little higher.
    Tuna will find every weak spot in your setup, and break shit.
    Broke the handle off my Stella while fighting a tuna just a month
    ago.
    The stuff that's more expensive typically has proven itself over and over in extreme environments. tuna fishing is an extreme environment.
    I.E: Don't buy cheap braid. go with Jerry Brown LINE ONE braid.
    it is a staple in the industry that fishes well, lasts a long time, and has excellent wear properties. (Can last 10 years depending on storage and use)
    hollow-60#, solid 65#. seaguar threadlock is very good, and (agreed) overpriced.
    Penn makes good rods, reels are 50-50, IMO.
    spend good money on the reel the first time and you wont be disappointed (Stella, Saltiga, Saragossa, etc.). I have been told the Penn spinfisher VI in 6500 size is
    much stronger than previous models but my bet is you'll be fixing it after 2-3 seasons.
    Tuna fishing requires a sizeable investment, as you are discovering. Buy the best you can possibly afford the first time
    and you will have years of enjoyment rather than fixing/upgrading (spending $$ twice).
    Not trying to be harsh, just trying to convey the necessity of high-quality gear when choosing to outfit yourself for tuna fishing.

17. redgarvey

redgarvey Member

Above comments from 'Thurston Howell IV' who gently scrubs lures in distilled water
    o_O

Manufacturing technology has advanced exponentially in the last '40 years of tuna fishing'.

The price point of mid-price gear is very effective and proven to endure under 'extreme environments' and conditions in the farthest reaches of the globe.

Jerry Brown Line-1 and Seaguar are industry standard, top of the line. HAHA pun intended...

A lot of good quality braid line out there, Daiwa J-braid, Daiwa Samurai, Daiwa Boat-braid, P-Line, Izor-Line, Suffix 832, Spiderwire Ultracast, Tuf-Line XP, Fins, Power-Pro, Berkley, Stren...

PS: Muscling fish in with spinning reel breaks handles

Spinning tackle requires some finesse...

:)

PPS: Maybe an extra handle to your Stella would be beneficial...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    jpgrfan and Mpro2 like this.
  18. redgarvey

redgarvey Member

forgot the Toro Tamer Super Braid Fishing Line

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:;)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    lite-liner likes this.
  19. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

....and here we go, hungryjack V2 :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

esgeo, awesum, jshorty and 1 other person like this.
  20. ReelMe

ReelMe Super Member

Just catching on brian? Lol

redgarvey likes this.