Inaugural Bluefin Killing Trip - APS

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by gman, Jun 10, 2009.

1. gman

gman Senior Member

Intro - Well boys .... the time has finally come. Dust of your gear because the fish are here and in full force off Cape Cod Bay. Captain Chip arrived Monday from North Carolina and Sami, John Flores and Myself met him on Tuesday morning in Green Harbor for his first bluefin run. Things will only heat up from here

In previous seasons, you could hope for maybe a single fish on the first shake down run especially on June 9th. No one has gone out there and landed more than a fish or two on poppers thus far this season but Im happy to report that because of great boat handling skills and angling we were able to land 3 very respectable bluefins along with losing an actual giant. What a trip.

Point of Note: The fish are much much bigger than last year. We didnt have a fish under 63.5 and approximately 160 pounds. They were all insanely fat after gorging on macs. I highly suggest PE8 and leaders of 130 plus

Tackle used: Rods

Ocean Revolution Black Devil 100
    Ocean Revolution Black Devil 200
    Ocean Revolution Prototype Gt rods 85 & 78 H

Tackle Used Reels:
    Shimano stella 10000HG, 18000HG and 20000PG

Swimbaits:
    Orion StickBait
    Craftbait 150g Popper
    Shibuki
    Shimano Ocea
    Baby Runboh
    Diawa Dorado Slider

Line
    Varivas Tuna Line
    Varivas SMP
    Varivas Shock Leader 130 & 170

Jigs
    Fc Labo Sl Jigs
    Smith Jacknife

This sums up our day ....

[​IMG]

2. gman

gman Senior Member

The forecast was for rough seas, strong winds and rain but the day started with calm flat seas and great expectations. We arrived on the grounds and immediately spotted the tell tale signs of birds and crashing waters. We all struck out on first attempts at casting to them but our luck was about to change.

This should be a great season for all captains fishing those waters

Fish 1: My jig was dropped into the depths, hoping for some tuna love and I was rewarded. I was now tight on my first bluefin of the season after about a 15 minute battle the bluefin was boat side with Steel in him after an unusual fight as he came to the top of the water several times. I couldnt judge the size of him during the fight but I was really surprised at how big he was. Just absolutely FAT beyond belief. Hoisted him p for some pictures and we had APS first tuna on the deck by 8am. Reposition again and we all drop, John get hit, I come tight on a another but my drag was to high and I ripped hook out of his mouth

Estimated weight 170 plus, the fish was gorging on macs and had about 10 of them whole in its stomach

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff77/gkrosss/IMG_0238.jpg

3. gman

gman Senior Member

Fish 2: Sami does it again, I swear Sami has the best eyes I have ever seen and they do not disappoint. He spots some birds and directly under them is an all out tuna feed, huge boiling tuna all over 60" are just pouncing on baitfish. Sami and Cast directly into them but get no love.

John on the other hand hooks up immediately and starts fighting his fish. SIDE NOTE: John Flores is one of the best anglers I have ever seen, his tenacity and attention to detail while fighting is amazing. He clearly communicates what he needs while beating the fish down. Great job john, honored to finally fish with you. John beats down his fish and Captain Chip lip gaffs our second fish of the day for pictures before she is released to swim another day

estimated weight 170 plus

9am maybe ... Two fish landed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. gman

gman Senior Member

Holy sh*t it looks like a f****ng Volkswagon. Thats exactly what i said when I first saw it. I knew it was a good fish but non of us had a clue until we saw it.

I had been popping under a bunch of birds for like 10 minutes of non stop popping. At the time I was the only person casting. John picks up his rod walks over and casts right next to my popper, pulls it and get absolutely slammed

I was like "************** it screamed line and was definately fighting its ass off as john with all his power and might could only control it so much when it wanted to go it would just go and scream off line at will even at high drag. John got her close twice but unfortunately today wasnt his day the giant eventually worked its way free to fight another day

It was amazing to watch and gives me hopes we can land an actual giant as this fish was definately pushing 250

5. gman

gman Senior Member

Fish 3: Landed

As you can tell the weather changed for the worse, sun and hot weather changed to freezing cold and raining. John once again hooked up and went to work. He did an amazing job landing his second fish for the day. This fish was a little fatter than normal but had no chance as John had the proto type Gt rod with 100 pound braid and heavy leader. This fish was johns largest landed but came in the quickest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

your making everybody jealous glenn. those are some great pics bro!

7. txcards

txcards Senior Member

Great pics and trip. Makes me want to come up and try my luck with some bluefin!

8. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Wow Glenn
    you have officially started the season off with some monster tuna!

I hope your claim for "bigger" fish this season holds true down here in Cape may. I'm headed out in about a week and a half

THANKS for the report!

9. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Sounds like the epic day we all hope for congrats!

10. gman

gman Senior Member

Wow Glenn
    you have officially started the season off with some monster tuna!

I hope your claim for "bigger" fish this season holds true down here in Cape may. I'm headed out in about a week and a half

THANKS for the report!

Last season the average was 55" fish all around 110-120. Im not an expert on this but this seemed to be the average. Every fish we ran into yesterday was over 64" and FAT as they were feeding heavily on Macs. The trolling fleet has been landing the same size and up to 85" already. Captain Dom, Captain Rich have both had fish over 71" already so I believe the average fish this year may be around 63-64 and 150 pounds depending on what they are eating

Should be a great year for everyone who fishes that area, oddly enough we were all alone yesterday except for 2 boats

11. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

as we were talking abt, yours looks bigger than 160.

hopefully these fish will be close to 200 come october :)

13. gman

gman Senior Member

as we were talking abt, yours looks bigger than 160.

hopefully these fish will be close to 200 come october :)

Bret thanks ... Everyone has said that , maybe it was 170-175 maybe it just looks bigger all I can say is the girth on all of these fish were amazing. We saw a over 200# fish i would say pushing 250+ and John was the superstar yesterday not me, he is amazing and as always Chip was humble and determined. He showed he is an all around great captain not just for amberjack. And Sam ... well. he is the best just wasnt our day

14. rtran

rtran Senior Member

nice job boys!

15. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Very nice.... That is a huge fish.

16. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

Incredible post !!! What an experience !

17. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Sweet, those are some monster tuna !!!

18. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Glen! I love the first pic. Rocky Balboa of Tuna!!!

19. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

From the pic of John loaded up on big fish,looks like the O. R. G.T. rod has some serious backbone!

20. gman

gman Senior Member

From the pic of John loaded up on big fish,looks like the O. R. G.T. rod has some serious backbone!

we tested two versions of the Gt rods, they are both perfect for the largest of fish. Im excited