In need of offshore rod & reel, 1

Discussion in 'Saltywater Tackle' started by mbartel86, Mar 23, 2013.

1. mbartel86

mbartel86 Junior member

New to the pacific coast. Looking for advice onn first rod and reel.

2. sami G

sami G Site Sponsor

New to the pacific coast. Looking for advice onn first rod and reel.

Hi mbartel86,

What is your target species and where you intend to fish for ?

3. Reel Stamas

Reel Stamas Senior Member

Most people start w/a Zebco 202 & work up from there... Otherwise we need a lot more info...

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Most people start w/a Zebco 202 & work up from there... Otherwise we need a lot more info...

I would have suggested a 808 saltwater edition.......

d-a

5. holy cow

holy cow Senior Member

Is this Mr. Brawn!

6. mbartel86

mbartel86 Junior member

I'm fairly new so just about anything that can be caught on a 3/4 to 1.5 trip out of SanDiego.

7. mbartel86

mbartel86 Junior member

Funny guy.. A 202... Really..I'm re-outfitting myself for offshore on the Pacific. Anything that can be caught on a 3/4 to 1.5 day escursion. Eventually after Ive gained experience
    Tuna will be my main target out of the Gulf. Not a beginer fisherman just new to the ocean. From the upper midwest on the great lakes.. Walleye, Steelhead and Salmon have been
    my targets for the last 30 years. Looking forward to the ocean now.
    Matt86

8. porcha

porcha Broscientist

spheros 14k on a 6' ugly stick tiger lite spooled with braid and a top shot of mono

can be used for jigging, popping, bottom fishing, light line, live baiting...covers your trips

all for ~$250-300

9. Reel Stamas

& I just happen to have a Spheros 14kFB for sale... Good call porcha... (all kidding aside, for the money he's right)

10. machoflea

machoflea Senior Member

Hey there, if I remember and an assuming correctly, you were going to be fishing out of San Diego. Most 1/2-3/4 day boats will not be targeting Tuna, moreso Yellowtail, White Seabass (yum), Calico or Sand Bass, Barracuda, etc. on the 1-1.5 day boats, you may be able to target the Albacore or YFT, but mostly on the 1.5 and up affairs. So basically, I would reccomend as an outfit that can do it all: medium price: Calstar 8' Rod along with a 40-50 Saltist or Trinidad. You can load it up with all mono, or braid backing and 20-30lb mono topshot line for the yellowtail and larger fish, but also use it for Calico Bass Fishing and the like. If you want to upgrade and spend a little more, you can still stick with a Calstar, Seeker, Phenix with a Talica II or Accurate BX or DPX series and you will more than have enough to slay any fish in the pacific if going out of H&M, Seaforth, Point Loma, etc. As you gain more experience, you can expand your arsenal from there. I have whacked more than my fair share of Albacore, YFT and even BFT with a 7' Truline and a Daiwa 40 Sealine. Really no need for overkill. Just my .02. Those used to be my home waters, so feel free to PM me.

When you start getting to the long range stuff with the Excel, Independence, RRIII, then you will need to get heavier outfits. But for anything less than 2 days, that one set-up can more than handle enough. Remember, most fishing out there will be done with live bait, anchovies, sardines and squid. Most times for tuna, you'll be fly-lining. I've had great success with just straight mono, maxima was my fav, but you will start getting it after the first few trips. Have Fun.

11. Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin Junior member

for starters a penn fathom 25N with 65# spectra and a few spools of seaguar floro for 5' topshots of 15-30# on a calstar 700m [20-50#] should cover the local to 1 1/2 day trips in SD.

good luck, Mick

12. Reel Stamas

Question is now ~4 mos old... Hopefully he's got something by now ;)

13. Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin Junior member

Question is now ~4 mos old... Hopefully he's got something by now ;)

true. Gotta check in more often

M